a newbie and a non motorhome owner.... (1 Viewer)

Paxton

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
a big zero
Hi everybody, the good lady and I have been looking to buy a camper for quite a while and I found this site and have enjoyed the ambience so I thought I would pop in and say hello. Here's the funny bit...we don't have a camper and only have three grand to spend! :ROFLMAO: Have found a 1990 Renault T1100 for under three grand so thinking about it. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Older vans can be money pits,however there are good ones vans out there.Take someone with you in the know and be lucky.
Otherwise buy a tent and start saving! :winky:

Vlad

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
a newbie and a non motorhome owner

hi and welcome to the fun club.spend plenty of time looking for a van and make sure you are both happy with the layout and try and take someone who has an idea on mechanics and a bit of knowledge of motorhomes it dosent really on how much you have to spend,as long as you spend it wisely.theres no rush look on flea bay but be careful lots of scams ,but also some good bargains.enjoy your new ventures .:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SWOOD

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One
a newbie and a non motorhome owner

Hi Paxton. I am a relative newbie myself. When I saw your post, I had a look at JMT Leisure's site Link Removed which is where I bought my MH. They have the Renault you describe for sub £3k. Perhaps this is where you have seen the one you refer to.
If this is the case, have a look at the autosleeper above for £5k. I know it's over budget but they seem much more robust, the mileage is lower, and he will give you a deal if you are ready to buy. Regards Stuart

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hi Paxton, welcome to the madhouse:Smile:

You'll find us a friendly bunch, plenty of knowledge, freely given, fairly Cosmopolitan even:RollEyes:
We wont mind how strange you are, we have all sorts here:Doh:
We even have a Rapido Owner:Sad:

Welcome anyway :thumb:

OP
OP
P

Paxton

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
a big zero
Thank you all!

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
welcome from Essex::bigsmile:
You will be amazed what you can (and cant) get for 3k. good luck.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have a look at ldv van based conversions on eBay , usually cheaper than others, but they are value for money if you get a good one, if you get the transit running gear ones they will run for ever as long as the body hasn't gone they are bargains.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers

Price does not make any difference when it comes down to FUN. In fact there must be a huge bonus parked next to someone who has paid £100K and you are having as much FUN.

On the other hand, if it's a lemon and you are broken down is the middle of France there's not a whole lot of FUN in that.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that

Our first van bought round 10 years ago was around £3000. It was a VW conversion. Had been converted by the owner using parts from Jodrell Bank. At a certain angle you could just see the words "Bathroom Fittings" along the side. It was non turbo so going uphill we collected quite a queue behind us and had to keep stopping to let them by. But we had such fun in it at home and abroad. Our next van was over £20,000 and very smart but at first we missed the homeliness of our "Betsy".

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If it has a good service history and looks well looked after, there's no reason why it shouldn't be a good starter van. We had a T1400 for 8 years. It was originally a minibus but I took the seats out and used it as a van. It regularly carried close to its max payload and never let us down. I think in all that time I had a new radiator, a couple of tyres and a balljoint or two.
It was a 2 litre petrol so quite heavy on fuel with a happycuising speed of around 55-60
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back