A new ferry !!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Stephen & Jeannie, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I am about to book the ferry for my last minute decision to have six weeks on the West coast of France !
    It is with LD lines from Portsmouth to Le Havre, an obvious choice when looking at the map but I have always in the past used the Dover Calais route.
    Looking at the LD website the fare comes up at £245 return, but only £202 through the CC, A good discount !
    So, have any funsters used this ferry and if so what were their experiences ?

Looking on the bright side, I am still up for the Upmarket Hippy meet ( but for the likes of me I can't remember the details, please advise !) and also the Carmarthen show, but sadly I will miss the Victorian meet and the Bring n Buy extravaganza

2. dewaltman

dewaltman

hi salopian used it last year absolutely perfect for me i booked through c & cc club they were also cheaper than booking direct with lds

3. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Not used the ferry, but it is the Royal Wedding Meet that Upmarkethippy is riunning - find it under Rallies - 2nd page.

Nigel and Pamala

4. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Used it last year. Made our journey down to Provence much easier, and shorter through some nicer countryside.

5. samany

samany Read Only Funster

when are you booking for. welooked at this crossing for July and return cost was £402.
    by the way we did it last year in June cost then was £254. and it was a very relaxed 3 hours,even parked overnight at their port kiosk.

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We've been on P&Os new big ferry 'Spirit of Britain' on the Dover Calais crossing. Good as a cruise liner (almost). This is the upper car deck, not quite carpeted but almost as good.

Attached Files:

7. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Result !!!

Booked yesterday..Outward Monday May 16th. at 11.00pm Recliner seat for 10 hour crossing...Returning Tuesday 28th. June at 17.00 for 5 hour crossing !
    Total cost including the sleeper seat exactly £215.00.....Booked through the Caravan Club with a £40 discount. :thumb:

And I wasn't even planning a trip this year !!! :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

By the way, what is the supermarket price for diesel in France at the moment ??????

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  8. Viennese

Viennese Funster

We did it 3 years ago, and wished we had taken blankets and pillows to the sleeper seats! What they provided was not adequate. We survived of course...!

9. ChampChump

ChampChump Read Only Funster

Salopian, the best we could find a week back was about 1.37 IIRC. As ever, it varied with area. The prices matched our in pounds, so choose your exchange rate and you have it. Is it so long since it was 1.50 to the pound? Sigh.