Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
We've just had our second trip away in our new (to us) 'van, and glad to say it is definitely living up to expectations, all the differences from our old 'van are major pluses - except one!

The old 'van had a green light on the fridge 240v switch, which enabled me to know when hooking up that no breakers had tripped and we did, indeed, have 240v power. The new one has nothing - no indication at all that things are working. Result was, I forgot to switch over from 12v. when we hooked up, and we only realised on the third morning when we found the milk had "gone off"

A minor thing, I know, but I do feel that it's an omission to not have any means other than plugging something in to check as to whether the hook-up is working - site supply breakers can easily trip, and one can be left without power for some time before realising if not running a fan heater or some other device dependent on 240v. It's easy to get round, we have a night light that plugs into a 240v socket which we can use - but why the omission?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... if you open the fridge door and there's no power there won't be a light on inside ....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
... if you open the fridge door and there's no power there won't be a light on inside ....

Now there's a thing - until I go out to the 'van to check I really have no idea whether there actually IS a light in the fridge!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Wish my fridge didn't have lights all over it, I have to cover it with a tea towel at night so we can get some sleep

You could always put a 12V led parallel to the supply to the fridge

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

Some fridge lights run off 12v and are on irrespective of whether the fridge is

Whilst we haven't got our motorhome yet (not Long now) when we had the caravan I had a polarity checker plug which I plugged in until we were fully set up to make sure we had 240v and the supply was safe which sometimes even in the UK was a problem on CL's

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We have a Domestica fridge/freezer. I think that's what it's called, or something very similar. I have it set on auto and it just switches between 240v, 12v and gas all by itself. We don't pay any attention to it. Works a treat. We can see on the program controller indicator what it's running on. There is a red light button which I'm not exactly sure what its for. I think it operated a extractor fan behind the fridge to vent the hot air out.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have an italic E on the control panel, that lights up when you plug into EHU. We call it the £ sign!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
You can get night lights which are just like plugs. Just keep one in a socket, that way you will always know if you are on hook up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say make and model of fridge, I've never seen one without any indication in over 30 years of tugging & Motorhoming.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Our Dometic fridge/freezer beeps if the temperature drops. It usually does it halfway through the Channel Tunnel.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our doesnt have one.

Wyn

We were away in our caravan many moons ago, I got up for a drink in the middle of the night, opened the fridge, the light came on, I had my drink and was getting back into bed when I remembered our fridge didn't have an internal light. I went back and opened the door again and there was a packet of raw prawns glowing very brightly, something to do with bioluminescence I think, we binned them just in case though.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We were away in our caravan many moons ago, I got up for a drink in the middle of the night, opened the fridge, the light came on, I had my drink and was getting back into bed when I remembered our fridge didn't have an internal light. I went back and opened the door again and there was a packet of raw prawns glowing very brightly, something to do with bioluminescence I think, we binned them just in case though.
Wow! I'd never heard of that. That'll confuse the hell out of OP :D

Edit: Just looked it up and found this - http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archi...shrimp-don’t-fret-say-seafood-safety-experts…

Fascinating.

Wyn

Last edited:
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
So - reading the link provided by WynandJean, it seems shrimp doesn't glow when it's frozen. All I need to do, then, is keep some fresh shrimp in the freezer box of the fridge, check it once in a while, and if it starts glowing I'll know the fridge ISN'T working! So much easier than just having a little light on the front.......wait.....errm

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We have a Elddis 400. 1990 vintage. It does not have a light inside or outside of it. As we have had it 27 years. it has never bothered us. ;);)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back