A lot of dross on some campsites these days. (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We’re between houses at the moment, (we no longer own property in Wales) so living in the van. With most of the holiday sites closed already, the 12 month licence sites seem to have a lot of dross. I’ve not been on any UK long-term sites for years but the last few weeks have been a real eye opener. I understand ‘poor’; maybe someone’s circumstances mean that they don’t have a house and are forced to live in a caravan, but far too often it seems “poor’” is used as an excuse to be coarse and filthy.

Long-term caravans and motorhomes with rotting awnings, everything green with algae, piss stained mattresses outside the van. old pallets, rusted BBQs, beer cans strewn around since last summer’s parties, grossly over-weight kids running riot, I love Elvis stickers, fag ends in the shower trays; late night/early morning screams and arguments and it seems every bloke who comes into the shower block, does so with a fag on, while their emphysema means they're always coughing their guts up.

The Calais jungle was smarter than the site I’m on now :rofl:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Well what do you expect if you insist on staying on a caravan club site?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds like council gypsy sites, need to move up market ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Great news Jim about the house, guess the one I suggested wasn't near enough to the hospital which is priority really

But when things improve enough do move there ..guarantee there is none of the dross, great food and heated shower block which has an entry via keycard only

Kath

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We’re between houses at the moment, (we no longer own property in Wales) so living in the van. With most of the holiday sites closed already, the 12 month licence sites seem to have a lot of dross. I’ve not been on any UK long-term sites for years but the last few weeks have been a real eye opener. I understand ‘poor’; maybe someone’s circumstances mean that they don’t have a house and are forced to live in a caravan, but far too often it seems “poor’” is used as an excuse to be coarse and filthy.

Long-term caravans and motorhomes with rotting awnings, everything green with algae, piss stained mattresses outside the van. old pallets, rusted BBQs, beer cans strewn around since last summer’s parties, grossly over-weight kids running riot, I love Elvis stickers, fag ends in the shower trays; late night/early morning screams and arguments and it seems every bloke who comes into the shower block, does so with a fag on, while their emphysema means they're always coughing their guts up.

Being poor doesn't make them coarse and filthy. Being coarse and filthy is what makes them poor.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We stayed on a site called Citycamp Frankfurt, and half of it was OK at best , the rest was like you have, rent-a-tent and 20 year old caravans covered in mould, its a sign of the times ....

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Perhaps you have just grown out of living full time on a campsite. It can happen to the best of us..:Eeek:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Perhaps you have just grown out of living full time on a campsite. It can happen to the best of us..:Eeek:

Not sure what you mean Buttons. I've never lived full time on A campsite.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You should see what there saying about Jim on their Forum:Eeek::rofl::rofl:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Sorry to hear that the standard(s) have slipped, however It`s also a sign of the times. There are a lot of "full time" sites which have a larger proportion of dilapidated long term residents. A lot of whom have fallen between the cracks of our "caring" society, Marriage breakup?, Alcoholism? Depression? (and a lot of the guys ex forces just dumped by their Government), All factors.

36 years ago, I lived on a site Near Dorking for 6 months, having left the Merchant Navy. And was House Hunting, working at the new Career, and commuting weekends back to Yorkshire!. The site was well cared for, and whilst not exactly state of the art, was at least kept clean, both by residents and owners. Worst issue for me was that there was an embargo on cleaning `vans on site., which meant that after 6 (winter) months the caravan was badly in need of a "clean"!. (virtually all green instead of white and green!).

No excuse really though for not trying!. But that is the "it`s someone else`s fault" attitude of a large number of today's members of society?. They have been raised to believe the world "OWES" them a living. and (hard) "work" is a dirty four letter word!. Like "manual labour" is thought to be a Mexican?.

BTW there are clean, cared for, sites out there, just not always where YOU need them!. I am struggling at the moment to find a hard-standing JUST for the weekend in Surrey, to attend the granddaughters 21st!, I am likely to be on Grass, so pray for a dry spell!

Pete

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We looked at a supposedly CS the other day. I say supposedly as a CS is a 5 van site, this one had about 3 times that number, they all looked like 'worker' vans, most were pretty grotty, had long grass up the wheels, rubbish outside the van, etc.
The one we moved to asked us if we were workers as when we booked we said 2 weeks-maybe longer! She obviously doesn't want workers on site.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I drove onto a site near Delamere Forest a couple of years ago, and straight round the grass centre piece and out again..... Old couches, fireplaces, burnt out chairs, bags of rubbish, etc., etc.

It really upset me as the reason I had gone there was because, when I was young, mum and dad had a static caravan on the site and it was beautiful .... had hoped for a trip down memory lane ... ended up just thinking thank goodness I hadn't taken mum for a drive out there .. it would have really upset her.

BUT ... We do need to remember as PeteH says above, some people find themselves in deperate situations through various reasons .... if you had a choice between a draughty doorway and an old caravan, no matter how downtrodden, which would you pick?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We used to live in a shoe box in t'middle o' t'road.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
A motorhome comes supplied with an engine, start it and move ,,,< simples !!!!!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
toilet.JPG
This was 1 of 5 outside toilets on a site in Cornwall around 20 years ago.
Luckily the other 4 were not growing plants although they did hang a dead rat in them to act as an air freshener:LOL:
The showers were also cabins outside with the usual 20p machine to drive the shower.
There was a rusty nail to hang the clothes on...................

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Amazing just how that can be misinterpreted. Like Jim I saw "You used to live full time on a camp site and did not complain".

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I wonder how many people live on sites etc now days with transient work force, broken homes , unemployed etc. It's not just site contractors working away, lorry depots have day drivers working there who live miles away but live in a caravan etc in the week. I bet quite a few thousand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back