A Long Weekend in D & G

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Stewart J, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Bliss, our home for the weekend, a stunningly beautiful little CL near New Abbey close to the Solway Coast, anyone else out and about this weekend?:thumb: Forecast up here is very settled with light winds, sunshine and overnight frosts, lovely change from the gloomy days of late.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Stewart.

Just over the river from us about 6miles by road. Lovely area. If you want a nice meal try the Mabie forest hotel loads of parking at hotel or in forest carpark and lovely meals.

Gerry

• Like Like x 1
  3. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Luvverly area, some of the locals are a bit strange though.
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  4. lorger

lorger Funster

Your lucky i was brought up to respect cheeky old gits (sorry i mean pensioners) or id give you an OI in reply :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Yo Gerry, Landis Farm if you havent already guessed, Mabie Forest Hotel is ace, my pal who lived at Glencaple celebrated his 60th there, food was superb. Off to Mersehead tomorrow for a days walking and birdwatching a gem of a reserve.

We lunched at Carsethorn today, beautiful and the large seafront car park does not display any "No Overnighters" so I'm guessing out of season brill for wilding? :RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

Lovely area. If you want a nice meal try the Mabie forest hotel loads of parking at hotel or in forest carpark and lovely meals.

Gerry[/QUOTE]

6. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Stewart
    Sounds like a good day planned there is also a bird reserve just past Glencaple near Caerlaverock Castle not been to it but have heard its good.

When your heading to Mearsehead tomorrow if its a nice day there is a view point a few miles outside new abbey on left hand side on your way cant remember the name but its sign posted we take the mh there often and great views over to glencaple and beyond.

I actually stay on Glencaple road and use the nith hotel often.

7. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Yo Gerry, reserve is Caerlaverock brilliant place but busy at weekends. The viewpoint you mention we intended to have our lunch stop in is closed and barricaded till February!

My pal lived at Kennethbank till he went to live in Spain, we had some great nights in the Nith, they do very good meals.

Been visiting and birding in D & G for 40 years, gawd thats showin me age:Doh:

8. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

Hi Stewart,
    We used to live in Carsethorn just down the coast from where you are.Lovely spot.
    If you have time go to Kippford and walk the Jubilee Path to Rockcliffe..highly recommended.
    Two pubs in Kippford both with good food and drink.

Enjoy:thumb:

John and Carole.

9. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Glad to hear you're enjoying your stay in D & G! Kippford is a beautiful spot as mentioned, coming across westwards towards us you've got Kirkcudbright with it's beautiful harbour. It's all a bit quiet around here at the moment because it's off season, we're just behind Drummuckloch Farm in Skyreburn, just past Gatehouse of Fleet.

Gatehouse is busy when the season starts, but well worth a visit and a walk up the Venniehill to the vantage point. We did it on Boxing Day:thumb:

Drummuckloch is a small CL site, but it doesn't open until Easter........but just an idea if you're coming over this neck of the woods in the future. Great walks all around us, I can recommend Mossyard Beach (when it gets a bit warmer though!). Great area for "Red Kite" spotting as well.:Smile:

Enjoy your stay!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  10. reader

reader Funster

IMO D&G is the most underrated part of the UK (& that has nothing to do with SWMBO being born in Dumfries) So often people charge north and miss this part of the country and dont know what they are missing along the Solway Coast.
    There was a spell when I worked that area and the company was quite happy to pay site fees instead of hotels (we were tuggers then) Enjoy your break

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Yo John and Carole

We stayed at Kippford Holiday Park last January in the big freeze and did that exact walk one sunny day, beautiful and some good birds.:thumb:

Lazy morning tomorrow, Glencaple jetty for lunch stop and some birding, then the coastal car park at Caerlaverock for afternoon coffee before the slow drive home.

Planning a return tour for 10-12 days from 24th Jan, OH is thinking of following me in our smaller car so we can use it for birding on some of the more minor roads.

Dumfries is only 58 miles from home so its not a long drive for us and having the car has its advantages.:BigGrin:

Stewart

12. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Some people refer to D & G as Scotland's "forgotten region". They usually fly up the M6 and then straight up the M74 to the central belt and all points north. But this is probably down to having no knowledge of the areas in and around D & G.

I think possibly it's the fact that it never gets too busy around us, that gives the area it's appeal to a lot of people. I personally find the place too quiet over the winter months and look forward to "some" tourists coming in when the season starts. However, that to brings problems, us funsters find it more difficult to get a parking spot when we take the mh into the town!:Blush::Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  13. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Stewart

Looks like you picked a nice few days bit cold but really nice. If you see someone waving at you tomorrow it will be me :Rofl1::Rofl1: if i see you passing the house.

Have a great day and hurry back as its a lovely place for bird watching and nice walks.

Gerry

14. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

I agree, D&G is the Jewel in the Crown and has everything stunning scenery, wonderful fauna and flora, warm and friendly locals and best of all not many visitors (cos they don't know how wonderful it is) :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Screams out for a Funster Rally (organised by a local?) :Eeek::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Stewart

• Like Like x 1
  15. lorger

lorger Funster

Screams out for a Funster Rally (organised by a local?):Rofl1::Rofl1:

We have thought about it Stewart as Park Farm (rugby ground) on New Abbey road you will pass on way home holds caravan rallies there a couple of times a year so it would be possible maybe need to look in to it a bit more.

Gerry

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Sounds a good plan Gerry, count me in :thumb:

Stewart

• Like Like x 1
  17. sedge

sedge Funster

I have to say, every time I see the title of this thread I wonder why anyone on here would spend a weekend in Dolce & Gabana's? :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  18. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

We are up at the border, near Berwick, with the boys this weekend. Cold.. But nice, no wind for a change.

Now a meet in D&G would be right up our street....:thumb:

Almost the same distance to D&G as Berwick....

Just pray if it happens I'm on leave and not at work on the ship.....

We need some more meets up here for the Northern Funsters,.........:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Yep, good idea! We were just talking abouts meets and where and when the next nearest one would be:thumb:

We've got plenty space in the garden for anyone stuck for an overnighter:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

This sounds great, but I would suggest it's organised by a "seasoned" Funster:thumb: and as we're still "virgins", there must be someone else not too far away from us that can do it!:thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1