A Leaking Skylight ! (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Very weird ....... the skylight on my Burstner 660 suddenly has started leaking ?
Thought I had a small leak some months ago but was not sure ? So I did a super cleaning job (like never before) and cleaned with warm water and stiff paint brush all around the exterior flange of the skylight (lots of 'crud' came out) then hosed everything off and was quite confident there was in fact no leak.

So, we fitted the new Carpets :D very nice.

Went away in the MH last weekend and on returning to the house decided to reverse into the drive and park facing out ..... instead of driving straight in and parking facing in. After a few days I went into the MH & shock ... horror ! the carpet under the skylight was soaked ! major leak :eek:
Taking the side ventilation strips of the skylight I could see the water dripping in ..... opening the hatch and looking outside, it appeared to be coming in through the standing water around the external flange.
Wait a minute ....... STANDING water ?

The drive has a small slope so when parked 'facing in' (as have done for the past 3 years ) the MH slopes towards the front probably by around 2 ft. With the MH facing out, the roof of the MH is just about level. So ...... after torrential rain = standing water !

Have concluded that the skylight has probably been capable of leaking for some time ..... but as we've probably only been parked up 'true level' a few times in the past few years when, this might have coincided with torrential rain .... we haven't noticed ? (we were in Scandinavia for 4 weeks last year and it rained only once, for best part of a day .... but we were driving.) Also I think the 'super clean' I did, actually made things worse ?

So, my approach is going to be ..... apply a Sikaflex bead around the external flange and push the bead in under the flange to re-seal again. (I am quite confident using sikaflex .... been using it for 25 years)
I don't particularly want to & I don't think I need to remove the skylight and re-fix the whole thing ?

Any similar experiences from anyone ?? :rolleyes:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Our old Hymer with a flat alloy roof has developed a small 'pond' around the front roof light. Think it's age dag related. I either park it facing down hill slightly, or use the chocks under the rear wheels. Sealed it several times with Sikaflex, but that only lasts a season. Next step is to use overlapping flashbonding on the outside of the lip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have replaced two on mine and had third done by a dealer. I would do it myself again without hesitation. But I would not use Sikaflex. Much better to remove the skylight and reseat it with non-setting mastic.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We've had a leaking skylight-main one-and a leaking smaller extractor/ventilation thingy on the roof, not both at same time-several years apart.
The main skylight, we think, was leaking for quite a while but because it has a large trim around it inside when it dropped we thought if was condensation!
Hubby took the whole skylight out cleaned it all & the roof and then put it all back with new sealant-proper stuff for the job.
We now know it's good for several years, just putting a bead around the outside edge is really only a temp fix!

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for the comments ..... & the links.

I can see that removal & re-fit is best ....

So, have not done before, but looking at the skylight, it appears that there are around a dozen screws on the inside flange of the skylight which need to be taken out, I then assume that the whole internal part of the skylight (including screen / blind etc..) comes away in a single piece. (is this 'tricky' at all ?)
I would expect, that this then reveals further screws that go through the roof into the outside flange / body of the skylight ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It took about 2 hours.

I could not see any identifiable leak but the non-setting sealer had dried out in places. Since I had it in stock I cleaned up the faces, slapped in a thick bead and put it back together.

It's a leak that identifies itself quickly so if the gunge fails again I'll know what to do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back