LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I cannot make out from the pics if the cab is sealed to the box ?If it is then it's a easy job to open her up to get access to the cab -if not then in my book it is a no.::bigsmile:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry ,having done a few conversions on ex prison trucks usually its a box .not connected to the cab. the front windows allow connection just sometimes . but really the window on the box front allows acess for opening the roof hatches in emergencies . that looks like the longer box used on the iveco daily as some only have 3 windows on the side.shame about the front door wing. heres one on an early daf. they do make a very nice conversion. the 16ft one i think is better this one was only 14ft but as it was for one person its ok. carries a dax motor bike in the back. done some off road miles since being built this one .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Spain and Portugal 09 - 10 584.jpg
    Spain and Portugal 09 - 10 584.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Morocco 2008-2009 164.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 164.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 28

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Alan a local guy had about 4 ex prison vans about 6/7 yrs ago and I was tempted back then because they were a lot of van for the money.He told me at the time that it took them two days to remove everything to make it an empty box :thumb: but they were not connected to the cab and looking at them it seamed a lot of work to seal them to the cab so I declined -- looking at the pics on this one the last pic could be into the front -looks to be a sliding window from cab to rear so it may well be sealed ::bigsmile: All I need is for Ann to give me the go ahead :Doh: and I am on the serious lookout for one.:thumb: Until that happens I am only keeping an eye open for what is out there.:winky:
terry

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
If you did buy one of those, would you feel obliged to trudge to the shower block with a blanket over your head? :roflmto:

Craig

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
From memory each cubicle has an escape hatch in the roof so that might be a problem. Memory comes from working on them in the eighties rather than travelling in them!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l have driven them many times to and from court. A hatch is over each cubicle for emergency purposes, operated by a single lever in the cab (ours had access to and from the cab area). A lot of metalwork is in the construction, and ours used to feel top heavy and roll awfully on bends.

Craig

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi most of the later ones arent walk through .on many of the ford iveco,s the battery bank as been moved to behind the cab. as said through the box front window is two big handles that control opening of the top hatches . , they tend to have cold bridges but ok if not in uk in winter . have left them in and sealed with roofing rubber paint. also left them as they make good acess to the top. bob my mate as his solar panels across some of his ideal for tilting . fasten two together (the hatches .)then mount the panels. we normally cut the rear door into two to give acess for a small m,bike under the bed. most of it is viewable in the pics i put up.
cut the side door and make it a stable door .use one of the cell doors as gas locker cupboard door back right hand side. bed over garage rear .sink drainer then full house cooker on rh side . shower/ toilet to left with a shelf to the door . small shelf then table on right with a six foot seat /bed across front. another cupboard on left as you go in the door . the larger 16ft ones we make into a proper dinette at the front .that makes a twin bed if needed . .have a look at the pics i put up on page one . will give you ideas. sorry dont have internal pics . but the outside ones are ok . windws dont open so hatches are usefull. some come with eberspacher heaters in rear . air conditoning but it only works if motor running we take that out . very well insulated . very well made boxes. we also get the inside resin dura flake coated so it looks very neat. another mate does that as a business .
have fun.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry .i say it takes three of us a week to empty them . we do it careful so we use as much as we can in the rebuild . they are heavy.
yes that one does look like it may be sealed to the front . never done the daily . done 4 dafs and 5 ford iveco.s . the daf was 14ft .the iveco cargo,s 16 ft. of course the daf and the cargo had tilt cabs . maybe these would be able to be cut into a walk through. i,m sure it wont be long before we get to do one . thety have took over from the bigger trucks now. several on the market . but its only the last year or so. worse is they are usually high milage but i think not hard work for them. not exactly raced about from what i have seen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back