A good Scotch whisky recommendation please (2 Viewers)

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Please can any of you kind folk recommend a nice scotch that I can get for a new neighbour. I bought a run down cottage which I am renovating. The next door neighbour is an elderly gent and has been a diamond. He has been in the garden strimming, cutting and tidying all off his own back. He won't take any payment for it, but I here he likes a drop of scotch now and again, so I thought he deserves a nice bottle of something. He always pops in for a chat when I'm there and has been very helpful. As the cottage was fairly dirty on the out side (dust from lath and plaster ceilings coming down) he said " there was a bloke the other day who came around pressure washing some of the houses in the street, so I said who was that, he said me " he even washed the walls down for me!
So all recommendations much appreciated

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Chivas Regal 25 year old..............deep pockets needed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Agreed - most people seem to like Highland Park no matter what other whisky they might claim as their favourite. So do I. A safe choice but not a boring one.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If all you're wanting is a straight Blended Scotch Whisky then Famous Grouse takes some beating but if you're running to a single malt I know there are one or two that are too Smokey for me but I'm no expert I just know what I like, last week my welsh pal @swanseajack13 gave me the dribblings of an excellent "Welsh" single malt 'Penderyn', which was lovely, thank you Ray.

This one

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Another vote for Highland Park. However, if you want something a little bit more special then you can't beat Scapa.

One of the plus's in Highland Park's favour is that it is more widely available than many.

Another tip, I'd give is go for a bottle with a specific age. Many distillers are now following a fad of producing 'named' varieties rather than 'aged' varieties whereby they have a recipe style that is a mixture of ages where the youngest/oldest age isn't identified anywhere on the bottle. As nice as some of these are, it somehow seems more special if you have. 12 year old, 18 year old etc.

Ian

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Many many good ones so all of the above apply - not grouse though ;) My favourites are Talisker and Glenmorangie but unless you are a major conesoor :LOL: then most will do you. Got to say though that I do find Jura boring and uninspiring compared to the others mentioned here.

OP
OP
Builder147

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Brilliant, thank you all for your recommendations all taken on board

Deleted User
Highland Park for me as well.
Some will prefer the lighter tastes of the Speysides whilst others will like the peaty tastes of the West coast and Western isles. I think of the Speyside whisky as being light a light snack whereas the peaty ones are like a 3 course meal.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
My sponsor is a single malt man, he likes Talisker as an everyday tipple..

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
IMG_5068.JPG
Highland park is excellent and as others have said grouse takes some beating as a blended. My own favourite though is "longhorn glenlivet". You don't see if very often. White label with red emblem.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
image.jpeg
My wife bought me this one for my recent birthday, not Scotch but an Indian single malt and a massive 62.8 alc/vol and a massive £60, dare not open it ;)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I used to like Manx whisky but I understand it is no longer available.

Dave

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Taste is such a personal thing whenit comes to drinks and can change with the seasons/mood.
I'm currently on Glen Garioch which I picked up at Aberdeen Airport last week - its a very local tipple to us and I'm enjoying it.
Why not ask his "advice" and he's bound to give it saying what he likes then go for that?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Crown Royal, but it is Canadian! But wonderful.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
[QUOTE="Builder147, post: 2091576, member: 28434He has been in the garden strimming, cutting and tidying all off his own back.[/QUOTE]

We have a lonely bored old man nearby, believe me, you are doing him as big if not bigger favour just allowing him to do this.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
if he prefers blends, then a Black Label is worth considering. if he likes heavy tastes, then Laphroig takes some beating, even if it is a bit medicinal, Talisker is similar but a bit lighter. all the Speyside ones are lighter again,. Macallan takes a lot of beating too. so many to chose from, i suggest you set your budget first then buy accordingly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back