A gas thread - No, not that type!!! (1 Viewer)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Am looking at buying a van with a gaslow 2 bottle system fitted. External fill point, all good.

However, what I can't get my head around is this - if you were static on a winter site for longer than the on board gas lasts, other than moving the van and driving to a garage, how can you get gas?

I don't want to entertain any Micky mouse filling of a gaslow bottle or anything dodgy, the questions is -
Can you connect a locally sourced 'normal' gas bottle of the country you are in to the system? In other words, the ' normal' way, is there a hose that you can simply fit an appropriate regulator on and use say a Repsol bottle simply connected to the van, as if the gaslow system wasn't there???

Tia!!!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yes Dave have a look at the gaslow site you can get a hose that plugs into the fill point where you can connect a local bottle...

I'll try and find a link for you....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Sadly not, only an external fill point for the gaslow. Can you connect a bottle to that???

Edit - answered above thannk you sas!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I see lots of Brit and other non-Spanish motorhomes here in Spain and Portugal with an extra "T" and valve fitted into their gas cupboard gaspipe line. From that T and isolation valve they run a flexi hose, terminating with a bottle-top connection/regulator which is standard for all Spanish and Portuguese gas bottles. Thus a locally sourced Spanish bottle can sit just outside of gas cupboard and be what they use whilst down here.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
If you have a BBQ point fitted you can fit a standard gas bottle to it (via its own regulator)

But.. what if there is no external gas point?..

I was shown a spare tail setup to the plumbing in the locker to allow for a "standard" bottle to be fitted if required... (kept in another locker) can't remember how it was configured. It was a couple who full time up in Scotland often... Met them at Cleethorpes last year wilding. They where called John & J?.. and have "JJ" on the bonnet of their Moho.
Funsters?..

Edit... slow tinternet today... seems sorted above :)

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On the above link it says:

The Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose enables the connection of a reserve cylinder to the Gaslow filler point.

Perfect if you are on site and don't want to move your caravan to find a filling station.
The hose screws into the internal thread on the Gaslow Fill Kit.
The other end of the hose connects directly to any 21.8LH cylinders or our range of Gaslow 21.8LH Adapters, so you can connect to all European cylinders.
The gas will be drawn from the reserve cylinder, through one of the refillable cylinders to the regulator.
Note that it will not transfer liquid gas into the refillable cylinder, so gas from this cylinder will only be used if the refillable is empty.
But ... if your other cylinder(s) is NOT empty it won't use the external gas supply so if you wanted to use it instead of your refillables it appears that it wouldn't work like that whilst there is still some gas in them ... although you could use it if you've run out totally.

This seems to be a drawback ... if you wanted to keep some gas in your refillables (eg for when you leave in case you don't find anywhere to fill up for a while) it would appear that you could not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you have a BBQ point fitted you can fit a standard gas bottle to it (via its own regulator)
That brings up another question ... I was under the impression that if you have a bulkhead regulator fitted you shouldn't then use a regulator on a bottle too but instead a connector that is NOT a regulator ... on the Gaslow link it shows various non-regulator connectors for bottles.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@BreweryDave
Have an Alugas fitted to mine it came with a spare pipe which is used to connect a free standing bottle too, used it many times when skiing.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
How does it fit/where?

The pipes from the Alugas bottles go to a central switchover, just disconnect one of the bottles fit the spare pipe and connect to a free standing bottle. Turn the switchover to the side you fitted the spare pipe too and that's it job done, takes 2 minutes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The pipes from the Alugas bottles go to a central switchover, just disconnect one of the bottles fit the spare pipe and connect to a free standing bottle. Turn the switchover to the side you fitted the spare pipe too and that's it job done, takes 2 minutes.
That's the way I'd prefer to do it too so looks like Alugas have thought it through a bit more than Gaslow!(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are static for longer than 22kg of gas will last you in southern Spain you are not doing you van any favors. Need to take the van for a good run and get the engine and gearbox fully up to temperature at least every 3 weeks so why not ccombine it with filling up with gas.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We over come the problem by just having one gaslow tank and one refillable one so that when the gaslow is emptied we switch to the refillable until we can get to a gpl pump

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If you are static for longer than 22kg of gas will last you in southern Spain you are not doing you van any favors. Need to take the van for a good run and get the engine and gearbox fully up to temperature at least every 3 weeks so why not ccombine it with filling up with gas.

We've only had to use it when skiing and staying for a couple of weeks.
You are right though and when skiing we start the engine everyday and run for 15 minutes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You are right though and when skiing we start the engine everyday and run for 15 minutes.
Why?????

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not a good idea engines ticking over from cold is a good way to wreck CAT's & DPF's.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
On the above link it says:

The Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose enables the connection of a reserve cylinder to the Gaslow filler point.

Perfect if you are on site and don't want to move your caravan to find a filling station.
The hose screws into the internal thread on the Gaslow Fill Kit.
The other end of the hose connects directly to any 21.8LH cylinders or our range of Gaslow 21.8LH Adapters, so you can connect to all European cylinders.
The gas will be drawn from the reserve cylinder, through one of the refillable cylinders to the regulator.
Note that it will not transfer liquid gas into the refillable cylinder, so gas from this cylinder will only be used if the refillable is empty.
But ... if your other cylinder(s) is NOT empty it won't use the external gas supply so if you wanted to use it instead of your refillables it appears that it wouldn't work like that whilst there is still some gas in them ... although you could use it if you've run out totally.

This seems to be a drawback ... if you wanted to keep some gas in your refillables (eg for when you leave in case you don't find anywhere to fill up for a while) it would appear that you could not.

@Minxy Girl A way forward...
I have 2 * 11kg bottles... and NO auto switchover... when 1 bottle is empty... use external... saving the other 11kg for when moving off site. Sorted :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl A way forward...
I have 2 * 11kg bottles... and NO auto switchover... when 1 bottle is empty... use external... saving the other 11kg for when moving off site. Sorted :)
Not sure that would work ... its the inlet to the bottles that can't be isolated, not the outlet so whilst you can stop gas being drawn from one of your refillable bottles by closing the outlet I'm not sure you'd be able to stop the external gas supply going into it ... however as it would be 'gas' rather than liquid the gas might fill the 'off' bottle then go through the 'open' bottle ... never tried it but in theory it might work ... what do you think????

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have been using the Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose for the past four years without any problems.
It has worked really well for us during our winter trips to Spain.
Brisey.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Not sure that would work ... its the inlet to the bottles that can't be isolated, not the outlet so whilst you can stop gas being drawn from one of your refillable bottles by closing the outlet I'm not sure you'd be able to stop the external gas supply going into it ... however as it would be 'gas' rather than liquid the gas might fill the 'off' bottle then go through the 'open' bottle ... never tried it but in theory it might work ... what do you think????

@Minxy Girl I think its no different than just having a single empty bottle... as the second is effectively isolated...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
That brings up another question ... I was under the impression that if you have a bulkhead regulator fitted you shouldn't then use a regulator on a bottle too but instead a connector that is NOT a regulator ... on the Gaslow link it shows various non-regulator connectors for bottles.

Jumbo adaptor, simple..
If you have a Butane hose, unscrew the UK clip on adaptor.
Screw on a Jumbo adaptor ( it's not a regulator). and the job is done.. This then uses the bulkhead regulator and everything is as it should be :)

SAM_0960.JPG
SAM_0962.JPG

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

If you are connecting to a BBQ point you must use a regulator as you are already past the bulkhead regulator fitted to the van. Its the recommended way to connect a gas bottle to a van with a fully fitted gas tank (i.e. an underslung tank)
This is the way my system has been designed and fitted by Autogas2000

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So, just to recap:

If you have a BBQ point you should use an external bottle with a regulator on the bottle and connect the pipe to the BBQ point, therefore a low pressure hose can be used.

If you do NOT have a BBQ point and instead are going to connect the external bottle direct to the pipework (before the bulkhead regulator), or via your cylinders using the Gaslow filler, you should NOT use a regulator on the bottle, but must use a high pressure hose.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
So, just to recap:

If you have a BBQ point you should use an external bottle with a regulator on the bottle and connect the pipe to the BBQ point, therefore a low pressure hose can be used.

If you do NOT have a BBQ point and instead are going to connect the external bottle direct to the pipework (before the bulkhead regulator), or via your cylinders using the Gaslow filler, you should NOT use a regulator on the bottle, but must use a high pressure hose.

That's how I understand it... :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back