Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
:Eeek:On the way home from the dealership with Doris the Motorhome, I was aware of lots of Police activity on the roadside, police with clipboards, bits of what looked to be measuring devices and lots of "standers" around and several Police vehicles. Traffic seemed to be moving ok, so just drove on by, minding my own business.::bigsmile:riving2: Just over a mile up the road, I noticed the blue flashy lights in my wing mirror and pulled over to let the vehicle pass. Policeman pulled in front, got out of his car and walked back to me.

Lots of things went through my head.....Did I speed? Was something dangling? Had I missed one of the "standing around" Police peeps waving at me? So I let down the window and waited for all the usual questions but was not expecting the "Did you know that it is an offence to let people walk around inside the vehicle" So me with the usual smart mouth said "Yes, but only when its moving" "It was moving" said the Policeman,
Errrr??????... On the basis that the only person inside the vehicle was me, I was more than a little perplexed and now wondering if I had accidently stolen one of the technicians from the dealership. :whatthe:

"No one in here but me"" I said, clearly the Policeman didn't believe me and by then his mate had got out of Police car and was trying to peer through the side windows.

"Look" I said, "there is only me in here, come and check it out if you don't believe me" which he did and found only me.

We parted on fairly amicable terms, having continued the discussion along the lines of shadows and moving vehicles with tinted windows.

Now not sure whether to be relieved because there was no mad axe murderer hiding in the loo...or a bit peeved because the delay made me late for lunch.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
:Eeek:On the way home from the dealership with Doris the Motorhome, I was aware of lots of Police activity on the roadside, police with clipboards, bits of what looked to be measuring devices and lots of [HI]"standers" around and several Police vehicles[/HI]..

Typical, whenever there is an incident there are always lots of police standing around doing nowt and they say the force is undermanned.

As to stopping you the idiot had nothing else to do, I trust he apologised for wasting your time although I doubt it

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
They hadn`t caught anyone so they would try you, I see you didn`t make their day then, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Coming home from Snetterton one Friday night, I was pulled over by a copper. When I asked what was wrong, he said my bike reg. plate was illegal, and a fake. I said that as it was on a trailer, it didn't count. (I have a plate just for trackdays so folk can find me. It's YOR1K)

He started to get stroppy and said it was fraudulent to use a false plate. Knowing it's not a wise move to piss off some coppers, I asked politely if he'd call his station to check the legality of things on a bike on a trailer.
He did so, and seemed really mad that he'd been proved wrong

Then he started to look around the bike for more faults. :Angry:
Then he said that the rear tyre was illegal as totally bald on one side. I politely replied that he should maybe call his station again :roflmto:

This seemed to rile him even more. ::bigsmile:

When he said the bike tax disc was in the wrong place ( in nose fairing) I made a hand gesture to my ear imitating a phone, barely able to stifle my laughter :ROFLMAO:

He was starting to get really mad, and just got in his car and drove off :roflmto:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
1920558_748384761840994_303143355_n.jpg

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
He probably saw you had nobody in the passenger seat and assumed they must be in the back ........

.......... good job you weren't in a lhd, 'cos that really would have fooled him
:winky:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
A friend of mine got pulled over one night on a dark country lane the policeman walked to the off side door and down came the dark window a little the policeman said I smell drink have you been drinking sir the occupant said why yes I am a bit pissed actually .The policeman's face lit up he said right sir come and sit in my car so he did he was breathalysed and of course failed ,just then the nearside door opened and my mate walked up to the police car and said "when you have finished playing silly buggers I want to go home are you coming" to the chap in the back of the car ."hes not going anywhere he is arrested for D I C" says plod.my mate then says "maybe you had better go and have a look at my car" at the time he had a LHD car

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Eeek:Or Lesley... you may have just purchased the first Motorhomefun Ghost........

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
:Eeek:On the way home from the dealership with Doris the Motorhome, I was aware of lots of Police activity on the roadside, police with clipboards, bits of what looked to be measuring devices and lots of "standers" around and several Police vehicles. Traffic seemed to be moving ok, so just drove on by, minding my own business.::bigsmile:riving2: Just over a mile up the road, I noticed the blue flashy lights in my wing mirror and pulled over to let the vehicle pass. Policeman pulled in front, got out of his car and walked back to me.

Lots of things went through my head.....Did I speed? Was something dangling? Had I missed one of the "standing around" Police peeps waving at me? So I let down the window and waited for all the usual questions but was not expecting the[HI] "Did you know that it is an offence to let people walk around inside the vehicle" So me with the usual smart mouth said "Yes, but only when its moving" "It was moving" said the Policeman, [/HI]Errrr??????... On the basis that the only person inside the vehicle was me, I was more than a little perplexed and now wondering if I had accidently stolen one of the technicians from the dealership. :whatthe:

"No one in here but me"" I said, clearly the Policeman didn't believe me and by then his mate had got out of Police car and was trying to peer through the side windows.

"Look" I said, "there is only me in here, come and check it out if you don't believe me" which he did and found only me.

We parted on fairly amicable terms, having continued the discussion along the lines of shadows and moving vehicles with tinted windows.

Now not sure whether to be relieved because there was no mad axe murderer hiding in the loo...or a bit peeved because the delay made me late for lunch.

This would concern me!

Since the policemen were sure, it seems, that there was someone walking about in the back, what would have happened if indeed there had been someone in the back but seated and properly belted up?

Despite the rear occupant being properly seated and wearing a safety belt, I feel sure that the policemen would have taken action against you because they wrongly accused you of permitting soemone to be moving around in the rear of the van. Rough justice comes to mind! They need reporting!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I would be more concerned over the rozzers eyesight especially driving at speed

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A few years ago we were heading for the Plymouth Ferry in our 3 week old M/H when we were flagged down by a policeman and waved into a layby where vehicle checks were being undertaken.

The DoT engineer told us that he didn't know why we had been stopped as they were checking for unroadworthy caravans but, as we were there, he might as well check.

Both axles were weighed and checked against the plate under the bonnet and all was declared well. We carried on with our trip.

Arriving at our overnight stop in Plymouth, before the morning ferry, we decided to go for a walk. OA we set the alarm it immediately actuated. On checking we found that that when the police had slammed the bonnet they had snapped the micro-switch on the alarm sensor for the bonnet. It was impossible to set the alarm without it operating. 5:15pm !!

Fortunately the site operator directed us to an auto electricians who fitted a new switch while we waited, allowing us to continue our holiday the next day.

And all for a check not directed at us!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
"Did you know that it is an offence to let people walk around inside the vehicle" So me with the usual smart mouth said "Yes, but only when its moving" "It was moving" said the Policeman,
Errrr??????... On the basis that the only person inside the vehicle was me, I was more than a little perplexed and now wondering if I had accidently stolen one of the technicians from the dealership. :whatthe:

Ah, he didn't realise you'd been using your cruise control so you could go and make a cuppa in the back!!!! ::bigsmile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You see plenty of people walking around coaches using the loo etc

OP
OP
A

Another Lesley

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
North East
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Ah, he didn't realise you'd been using your cruise control so you could go and make a cuppa in the back!!!! ::bigsmile:

:Blush: Ah you sussed it , but the gas was turned off so had to make do with cold milk and a jam butty. :ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I wouldn't have let him get in! Cheeky scrote! Last year they pulled me for not having a seatbelt on. I had it on, our Hymer is LHD. The policeman thought our Jack Russell was the driver, she had jumped up (my fault, before the barrage), onto the front passenger seat. He wasn't happy when I mentioned 'Specsavers'. :whatthe:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Ok, be honest, how many of us have allowed the passenger fetch them a cold drink from the fridge, or extra sweets or allowed them to use the toilet whilst on the move??

I have your honour :whistle: She insisted

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Ok, be honest, how many of us have allowed the passenger fetch them a cold drink from the fridge, or extra sweets or allowed them to[HI] use the toilet whilst on the move??
[/HI]

Perfectly legal so long as you have the optional Thetford seat belt fitted:thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Actually, I don't really think it is against the law to move around in a MH when it's moving. This conflicts with seat belt reg's, but hey, some vehicles have backward facing seats without belts. I have heard of the kids being asleep in the luton when moving. I suppose if there was an accident, the hot stuff would soon be flying about.

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Does anyone know what the rules are ? As has been stated before people wander up and down coaches for the loo etc ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Does anyone know what the rules are ? As has been stated before people wander up and down coaches for the loo etc ?

Great question, I am hoping somebody knows

Ok, be honest, how many of us have allowed the passenger fetch them a cold drink from the fridge, or extra sweets or allowed them to use the toilet whilst on the move??

This needs to be poll, may have been done before but not in my time, I don't know how to run a survey though, can somebody else please

Then can all replies be honest, not like the drinking one the other day :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Done a bit of 'trawling', seems as though it's a bit grey area. However, is a bus the same as a MH?? Does the bus stop before people move to get off?? You can stand up on a bus, whilst it's in motion. :whatthe:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As far as I can see there is no law relating to this except the seat belt regulations. Presumably if you were wandering around in the back of a motorhome which had a vacant seat with a belt you would be infringing the requirement to wear one. If you were for example, the third person where there were only two belts, you could presumably move about between beltless seats (including the loo)

As coaches have seat belts you probably should not move about in a coach either.

SWMBO does sometimes go in the back, usually because she has forgotten to lock the fridge.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Be interesting to find out the rules about moving around when in motion.

I often have to go grab the fridge door, OR the cutlery drawer.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Couple of weeks ago coming home in car very late at night from friends near Malton.

Saw headlights in the rear view mirror and had a feeling..................So kept perfectly to every speed limit. After about 8 miles turned off dual carriage way onto Malton town rd.

Blue lights on behind me. I stop (was not worried as hadn't been drinking and car is only 7 month old).

Wound down window, Cops says, "I stopped you as this vehicle is registered in Bristol". "It's a Company Car, so that'll be possible" said I. "Are you going home tonight"? he asked. "Yes Officer". "Well drive carefully" he said, then done off.

So either he was really bored, or thought I must be drunk for driving so well, or possibly he'd never met anyone from Bristol and wondered what they were like. (Hah, fooled him there, we're from Tyneside !!)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Oh only....every trip more or less. Make a sarni, get snack, cold drinks, use the loo, get a warm top, get a cool top, I don't use the shower though, that would be a bit too risky wouldn't it Mrs Haggers? :ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I asked this question a while back, about going to the loo whilst travelling. I had to spend a penny whilst we were heading north on the M6 a while back, too many cups of tea at our last stop in Skipton:roflmto:

I came to the conclusion that if it's ok to go to the loo on a coach whilst moving, then it's ok to do it in the van. It was a "one-off" though, I won't be making a habit of it.......very bumpy:Blush:

Margaret

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Hee hee a few years ago daughter and son in law were driving out of a French supermarket carpark nearing a police car when the policeman gesticulated violently to Neil - seems he was texting on his phone at the time. Copper wasn't very pleased about it for some reason. :Eeek:

So Neil immediately put both his hands in the air and shrugged - as daughter detoured round the Plod and out of the Exit. :roflmto:

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:Cool: a few years ago my brother who"s name is paul clive jones was sleeping in his car in a layby after been out the night before,when he was woken by a police patrol man who tapped the window and asked his name he said P C JONES the officer said sorry sir and got in his car and drove off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back