Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
My MH is an 06 model, and the tyres were from the same year. She had only done 16000 miles when I got her in February, so there was loads of tread left on the tyres. I checked all the sidewalls as best I could and could see no visible signs of cracks/bulges etc.

I've become very aware of the need to change tyres due to age, so decided to go for it. She was wearing Continental Vanco tyres (225/70 R15), which now seem to have been replaced by the Vanco 2 version. I checked with the insurance if they would insist on a like for like replacement, but they said not, as long as it was the correct size and speed/load rating they didn't mind. I wanted to go for the Continental Vanco Camper, but hese seem to exist in name only. An enquiry to Continental themselves (answered by e-mail by Sara Speed!!) indicated that they did not make the Vanco Camper in the size I require.

I decided to look at other brands and decided on the Michelin Agilis Camping, which again was difficult to locate, but their website indicated that ATS Euromaster had stock. A quick call to my local branch who informed me that they didn't have any at that moment but they were expecting some in a day or two, so I ordered four.

The tyres were delayed by a day because of the bank holiday but then off I went to have them fitted. My MH has nice Mercedes Benz alloys fitted, so I made sure I had the locking nut key to hand. Four tyres were then duly fitted and the little chap was beavering away torqueing up the wheelstuds. Each wheel has five studs, and guess what... as he was just doing the last stud.. the locking nut, there was a loud 'crack' and the locking nut head snapped off the stud, which of course was firmly screwed into the wheel and hub!!! NOOOOOO!!!

The staff at ATS got a nearby commercial vehicle recovery firm to have a look, who said they could get the snapped stud out and replace it. I agreed to return the following morning when the new stud would have been delivered. I duly returned, but the stud that was delivered was for a standard steel wheel, not an alloy wheel (its a lot shorter). A couple of calls and the correct studs were ordered, and duly delivered this morning. I have now replaced all the locking nuts with standard studs, as I reckon there's more chance of a locking nut going pearshaped and leaving me stranded and/or in need of recovery than the alloy wheels getting knicked.

I've attached pics of the defective nut showing how it should be, and how it looked when it split.... it appears that the shiny exterior part was never fully welded to the longer section, so this was a failure just waiting to happen!

Simon

Ps. My Dad's neighbour gave me £60 for the four old Continental Vanco tyres.... he's very relaxed about the possibility of then going bang! :thumb:

Attachments

• Stud1.jpg
    Stud1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Stud3.jpg
    Stud3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 41

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Initially I would have gone for air gun - but looking at the picture, there does seem to be some old rust between the head and the stud - which would suggest an older crack had been present. May be a little of both.

I would get another set of lockers - you can always look for another brand - handy though, as the tread on motor home tyres is always good!

Another top tip for tyres - IF you know someone with a van who shares the same tyres as you, you can always arrange to sell them to them cheap when they reach 3 years and that way they are happy getting a set of cheap tyres, and you get a tyre for free when you replace!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spenders

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
He did use an air gun type wrench to get the initial turning and most of the work done, but not excessively so and he did the last few turns with the big torque wrench up to the required setting. I watched him do all four wheels and made sure he wasn't fooling around or being slapstick, and I would say that he was being quite professional.

It was literally the last tightening of the last nut where it went wrong. Having inspected the locking nut I'd definitely put it down to a faulty initial weld during manufacture. I'm not a qualified welder in any way, but surely the join should be equal across the width of the stud, not just at one side. Every time that stud has been twisted it's been subject to uneven force, leading to the inevitable failure.

Simon

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Seen loads of rubbish locking nuts/studs, most originate in China :Angry:

OP
OP
Spenders

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Seen loads of rubbish locking nuts/studs, most originate in China :Angry:

I can well believe that, but these are genuine Mercedes Benz ones that were fitted to the vehicle when new in 2006.... I certainly expected better! :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back