A frames (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Not another question as to the pros and cons or legality of A frames.

Just picked up an 07 plate Fiat Panda to use as a toad.
Now need to decide the best A frame to get fitted and where from bearing in mind i am in Manchester.
Any suggestions greatfully accepted.

Will be looking on line later. I travel to aberdeen tomorrow for 2 weeks offshore, home on 20th and off to Majorca on the 25th for 10 days so it may be after that before i get time to have it fitted.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Armitages at knotingley do them unsure on price but I can recommend workmanship they did my towbar and air ride

Spoke to my mate today who is going offshore today apparently
His company are offering counselling before lads are flying
Must be a few feeling iffy
Have a good trip and enjoy your holidays

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
www.tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk

Not the cheapest... but so easy to couple up, and idiot proof (Have to be for me to use one) :RollEyes::winky:

Fully electronic, Runs all lights indicators etc from your M/H when hooked up... thus saving your car battery..

Only downside..... You would have to go to Grimsby for fitting...

OH!.... and light`ish as well.. :thumb:

In case that don't work, copied this = www.tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Armitages at knotingley do them unsure on price but I can recommend workmanship they did my towbar and air ride

Spoke to my mate today who is going offshore today apparently
His company are offering counselling before lads are flying
Must be a few feeling iffy
Have a good trip and enjoy your holidays

It will be squeeky bum time qhen we take off on friday morning, going to ask if i can sit with the black box - it always survives!!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi Pauly p I had my towbar and a frame fitted at Leisurepower in Warrington its the same make as old mo recommends ,fits on and plugs in less than 3 minutes its the best one that I have seen :Smile:all in all it was about £900 fitted :Cool:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I don't think your Warrington fitted bar could be a Towbars2Towcars at that price....unless they have had a very major rethink....their usual price is more like £1800 but IMO worth every penny. Not many can match the neatness and look of the car when the A frame is not in use.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I don't think your Warrington fitted bar could be a Towbars2Towcars at that price....unless they have had a very major rethink....their usual price is more like £1800 but IMO worth every penny. Not many can match the neatness and look of the car when the A frame is not in use.

Hi, Merle youre quite right I have just had a look:Doh: its a car a tow type :RollEyes:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F

Now need to decide the best A frame to get fitted and where from bearing in mind i am in Manchester.

Will be looking on line later. I travel to aberdeen tomorrow for 2 weeks offshore, home on 20th and off to Majorca on the 25th for 10 days so it may be after that before i get time to have it fitted.
i went to visit Mo the other day on a site in telford and he was showing me his a-frame (thank god thats all he showed me:Eeek:) and it is a fantastic piece of kit so definately worth thinking about:Smile:
brian

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Vaguely related.
Last week on an aire the (brand new appearing) French van next to me had a toad, the first I've seen on a French vehicle.
It appeared identical to the Caratow version except it had been blinged in that the bar on the car was chrome.

I suspect it might have been new as he had parked in such a way that he would have to reverse out, and the toad was already at an angle. It would have been entertaining to watch, but we had to leave and they were still asleep.

robinsonto

Free Member
Sep 4, 2013
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A Frame Experience

I had a Smart Tow system fitted to my Fiat 500 Auto. Really pleased with it, and Smart Tow as a company. It seems to have everything covered technically, with its vacuum assisted brakes triggered by a combination of brake lights and g force. It's really light, well made with good quality materials and welds. Smart Tow really seem to know what they are doing, and do it well. They have approved fitting outlet across the country.

Hook up takes about 5 minutes, and can easily be done single handed. They now have an even easier system for single handed hook ups.

I've covered over 5,000 miles with mine, both UK and France. When driving you hardly know it's there, I do check the rear camera form time to time, especially when a red car goes past(the colour of our Fiat) The only problems that I've had have been me leaving one of the tow pins in the snow on a trip to Scotland, and then loosing the over run pin. In both cases Smart Tow were very quick in getting replacements in the post for me.

Smart Tow are highly recommenced by me.

Broken Link Removed

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Towtal in Stoke on Trent are another supplier.

Video on their website shows the unit which as far as I know is also sold in France where we have seen one.

The Unit is substantial so heavier than others on the market.

Doug

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
i went to visit Mo the other day on a site in telford and he was showing me his a-frame (thank god thats all he showed me:Eeek:) and it is a fantastic piece of kit so definately worth thinking about:Smile:
brian

I only show my special bits to special people...:thumb:

Think your self one of the chosen few... :winky:::bigsmile:

Palmeat

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Car A Tow has worked fine for us. Their workshop is in Poole, Dorset (but they may have regional fitters?). Neat fitting to front of car + towbar unit is reassuringly substantial if a bit on the heavy side, but not been a problem for us. Can't reverse with this unit (but again, hasn't presented a problem to date).

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Peter

monk

Free Member
Aug 15, 2011
Fairburn North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

Armitages at knottingley did mine for £800 and it works perfect (they have a web site)

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Car A Tow has worked fine for us. Their workshop is in Poole, Dorset (but they may have regional fitters?). Neat fitting to front of car + towbar unit is reassuringly substantial if a bit on the heavy side, but not been a problem for us. Can't reverse with this unit (but again, hasn't presented a problem to date).

[HI]You pays your money and you takes your choice![/HI]

Peter

That is one of the good points about living in the UK.....we are allowed to make our own choices:thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We had a Caratow frame fitted last week at Leisure Power. Birchwood, Warrington - dead handy for M62 and M6. Stayed over the night before with free EHU.

Leisure Power are one of several approved installers for Caratow and have fitted just under 500 Caratow A frames. The kit is couriered up from Poole to Leisure Power. The price is the same as that quoted on Caratow's website. Excellent service form Leisure Power even running me to a parts shop to buy a 13 to 7 pin converter as our van has a 13 pin socket. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
We had a Caratow frame fitted last week at Leisure Power. Birchwood, Warrington - dead handy for M62 and M6. Stayed over the night before with free EHU.

Leisure Power are one of several approved installers for Caratow and have fitted just under 500 Caratow A frames. The kit is couriered up from Poole to Leisure Power. The price is the same as that quoted on Caratow's website. Excellent service form Leisure Power even running me to a parts shop to buy a 13 to 7 pin converter as our van has a 13 pin socket. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I can be in Birchwood in 20 minutes, go there each year for an offshore medical. Will look up leisure power.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
We have the towtal electronic system fitted to our fiat500. You are welcome to come and have a look if you want- only in Bolton.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
We Have a caratow a good bit of kit but bulky and heavy.
How ever have been told that sometime next year (date not sure) all towed cars must be braked on the servo and not the hand brake, so electric system needs to be fitted. This was from someone independent from any company that supplies and/or fits them.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
How ever have been told that sometime next year (date not sure) all towed cars must be braked on the servo and not the hand brake, so electric system needs to be fitted. This was from someone independent from any company that supplies and/or fits them.
Yes that is correct, there is some new legislation coming in that states the system must allow for reversing of the toad without the need to unhook (whether the driver is capable or not is not part of the requirement) The electronic setups comply with all of the requirements but we won't talk about Euro laws:RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

That is not actually correct or my understanding.

It implies to Aframes built after that date and not before. So any fitted frames would have to have this kite mark applied after that date to say they comply.

Yes that is correct, there is some new legislation coming in that states the system must allow for reversing of the toad without the need to unhook (whether the driver is capable or not is not part of the requirement) The electronic setups comply with all of the requirements but we won't talk about Euro laws:RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
which a frames at the moment work the hand brake . none i know of . most pull the brake pedal down or push it down .
servo doesnt improve the brakes . just makes them easier to apply .the weight of the vehicle on a sliding hitch is far greater than the pressure you can apply wsith your foot servo or no servo. as it is lots of cars dont have a servo. if getting on a bit .
electric operated aframe braking as been available for years certainly 25years that i know of .its just that uk fabricators didnt do it . mind some have .

Last edited:

Palmeat

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
That is not actually correct or my understanding.

It implies to Aframes built after that date and not before. So any fitted frames would have to have this kite mark applied after that date to say they comply.

This is my understanding too - not retrospective.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Following on from th eadvice given I emailed the 4 main A frame fitters for a quote for my Fiat Panda.

Armitages £849 inc vat, Braked sytem.
Towtal £949 inc vat for braked and £1,495 inc vat for electronic braking.
Caratow £1,140 inc vat for braked system.
Tow-bars2tow-cars £1,500 plus vat = £1,800 for electronic system

I asked the question about reversing with the system, only Tow-bars2tow-cars said it was no problem, all the rest said they recommended uncoupling, although it is possible at very slow speed, but it doesn't reverse as a normal trailer would.

So it's probably going to be Armitages as it's an hour away, caratow would supply it to Birchwood, Warrington (closer) but it's quite a bit dearer for a similar set up, and there is no way I will pay £1800 as it's nearly what I paid for the vehicle.

Hope the info on prices is usefull for anybody looking to get a system.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back