A frames (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not having had anything to do with either, what benefit is a mh and a frame car over a car and caravan , seems you are doing the same thing with both but paying out for two taxes and insurance and everything else and risking getting fined to boot

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
a 5th wheeler or mini artic is far better than a car and caravan .
due to the overlap of vehicles it makes for a shorter overall length.
there is a use for a runaround to some . many prefer m,bikes /scooters .
my mini artic is only 2ft shorter than my mazda bongo hitched to a 10ft caravan.
mind the bongo and my small teardrop caravan . are even shorter and well suited to cornwall.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
hard to compare the two till you give specific details really. We have an RV so we have proper size facilities, which you could easily live in if you wanted. Over the years we have had motorhomes, and a caravan for a long number of years. They both come with pluses and minuses, but now we are wanting things easier, the RV and small car suits us fine, and we are constantly away either to shows, or various meets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not having had anything to do with either, what benefit is a mh and a frame car over a car and caravan , seems you are doing the same thing with both but paying out for two taxes and insurance and everything else and risking getting fined to boot

I think it's basically about planning. People buy a MH then say "I need transport" so instead of a logical re-think they add transport.

If they looked at it logically they would say "a caravan has much better accommodation, simpler to maintain, low running costs and the car is multifunctional".

Add to the considerable doubt on the legality of A-frames. A trailer is legal solution but too tiresome for most.

A MH is agile for those on the move.

Hire a car locally if you need to.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In a word flexibility, don,t tow all the time only when we stop on site for a while.
I tow a panda, no tax, plus it's our second car which we would need anyway .
So we can have a motorhome holiday (touring without car) or a caravan holiday (static with the toad) That's something you can't do with a caravan :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

We have just gone over to using an "A" frame in the UK...

The benefits we find is space..

Been down the Car/caravan route and Euro M/Home, but for us having the rigs we have had for years is the space with slide out/s... and our own personal needs for the extra space...

We do trips "Solo", if we know there is enough to keep us occupied on site, but inevitably tow a trailer with a small car or trike on/in...

Cost doesn`t come in to the equation, because we use one of our normal cars, so they are already taxed & MOT`d..

Unless you have a bike, we found when we had a European M/H, it was a pain when you wanted to go out for the day, packing every thing away securely etc..

I think it`s a matter of your choice....:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
we are going though same things ourselves
toad or car on trailer for us no its too much hassle either with law or weight and space on site plus totally no use in France on Aires

our solution will be trike on lift tow where law allows it
or
small scoot on back some how I haven't sorted this out yet

caravan was a option but I like the freedom idea with motorhome plus a bit of wilding where possible
most weekends when we are away its fill up with water bag of clothes and a bag of shopping and gone
clean up drain water before we leave site 1 bag washing home

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We like the space and convenience our RV gives us so when touring in UK we take Peugeot 107 on A Frame (also have a trailer but a pain) but if travelling in Europe we either take electric bikes or hire car when needed.
Have had a caravan and don't want another .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back