A Frames

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Adrian1, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Adrian1

Adrian1 Funster

I know this will now need hard hats but just changed our car and thinking of fitting a A frame to use only in uk .Has anyone got feedback with the towcars to towbars or Towmaster system I like the look of them as no bar and eyes our left on the car when not towing.
    Any views welcome of any other systems.
    Thanks for your help

2. Lofty1

Lofty1 Funster

We use towcars to towbars as all is hidden except the electrical connection and safety line connection.
    also the A frame is light and easy to connect .Mostly the electrical brake system works well without giving the jerk you often get with a cable system

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Good morning Adrian..
    A frames are probably the most polarizing topic on the forum... apart from a good gassing story..

You will get a ton of opinions on the makes, legalities etc.. but few facts.. none can say if they are legal or not.. only give an opinion.
    do a search of the forum and see what I mean..

Anyhoo.. my starter for Ten points.. .
    the car manufacturers towing eye is not designed for towing.. but only for recovery with a straight pull.. and tying down while in transit on a car transporter or ship.
    As far as I can make out.. Towmaster use the manufacturers towing eye socket.. and install another.. the forces exerted on it by an A frame are pulling it at an angle it was not designed to take...

now off getting the popcorn cooker ready :LOL:

• Like Like x 3
  4. musson

musson Funster

Hi
    got mine from towing A frames in Chesterfield the guy that fitted (owner) was spot I watch him fit most of it very good job.It is made of stainless steel cost £849 inc vat weighs 12 kg I would use them again.fitted to 2005 corsa.

5. davejen

davejen Funster

6. davejen

davejen Funster

The black part on the right of the a frame is the replacement cross -member for a fiat500 as supplied by Towtal, proper engineered piece of kit, and very strong (and heavy!)
    Cheers, Dave

7. musson

musson Funster

Towing A frames make there own frame, I checked this before had it fitted,which is painted then undersealed when fitted.

8. CDG

CDG Read Only Funster

I used Towbars to Towcars, excellent people, proper engineers and will not let anyone else fit their equipment so as to maintain standards.
    They fitted the Towbar to our M\H and supplied the Toyota Aygo. Done 1000 of miles towing in the past, boats, cars, but their system you dont know its there.
    5 mins most to set up, 2 mins to take off. Longest job putting the frame back in the bag then into the boot, brilliant.
    David

• Like Like x 2
  9. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

I wouldn't recommend towing a frames as I had crap service from them , took over 11 weeks to get a system to me that I was fitting myself !!!!!!!!!!!, they had every excuse going why It took so long. Was not impressed with it when I got it , all the paint started coming off after a couple of weeks, I bought from them because it was cheap but it goes to show you get what you pay for.

10. barista

barista Funster

Painted stainless steel?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

We used them and the A frame is made of stainless steel , lighter , compact and easily fitted compared to the overly heavy (40kg) Armitages A frame it replaced .
    Cant fault the service we received .

12. barista

barista Funster

22kg for the Armitage one now and can also be had as a 2-piece to split the weight and storage options. Solidly engineered.

13. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

The Lightweight version is around 22kg but for our car which weighs 1170kg it had to be the heavy duty version according to Armitages which weighed around 40kg , to heavy for me to lift or work with .

14. barista

barista Funster

Certainly struggle to lift that! They quote the heavy duty one at circa 29kg now so would need to be the 2-piece for most I would think.

15. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

Armitages heavy duty version supposedly 29kg but compared to a 25kg bag considerably heavier , and Towing A-frames stainless steel 15kg version which is more compact and rated at 1250kg

Attached Files:

16. PeteH

PeteH Funster

17. musson

musson Funster

Hi when i said the frame was painted I was following on from another thread the frame that the guy fitted to the car was painted then under coated, the A frame is stainless steel sorry for the confusion

18. barista

barista Funster

Ah, that makes sense.