A-frames vs trailers again, sorry! (1 Viewer)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
What I meant was that the dolly or the car could be braked but as far as I am aware, a braked dolly and braked car cannot be done together to ensure all brakes operate evenly.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think we have to accept that those who use them like them. They realise how stable they are. That there is no evidence of accidents caused by them and gain the benefits they provide at least to the user.

We also must respect the opinions of the nay Sayers despite the fact most have never used them . Have never actually studied in depth how these devices have evolved and improved and have never felt the benefits of them or indeed have no Real need for them.

I guess I fall in the middle. As yet I have not used one. Have not felt the benefit of one but do have a genuine need for one as my poor wife cannot walk very far at all ..

Sadly not everyone can or wants to either walk or cycle. We do and I can but the gaffer can't.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
A Frame now SOLD
Cheers, Dave(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJK

Free Member
Jul 29, 2015
Bury Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E645
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I tow my sports car on an "A" frame no problems at all, the thing you have to be careful about is your mileage, if your cars speedo is cable driven it will the record the mileage whilst in tow.

So if you are on limited mileage insurance you could go over the Limit.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I tow my sports car on an "A" frame no problems at all, the thing you have to be careful about is your mileage, if your cars speedo is cable driven it will the record the mileage whilst in tow.

So if you are on limited mileage insurance you could go over the Limit.
If it is being towed it will still go over the limit regardless of whether it is being recorded or not? just because it isn't being driven doesn't mean that there is no risk. if you are towing it about all over the place ? It is the mileage it has travelled ,whether being driven or towed ,that is what the risk is based on.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We used a A frame for three and a half years touring North America. We covered 56000 miles towing a small SUV Saturn Vue a Honda copy. Never had a single issue with it a brilliant way to travel and tour.
Amazing how folks who've never actually done it can voice such strong opinions.:xeek:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm learning.... Learning all the time...

I learnt some time ago too take no notice when on this forum when people shout and scream about things that really don't need to be shouted and screamed about.
Problem is I never really learn.

I will do what suits me/us and providing I'm breaking no laws will do it irrespective of what others say.

In this case it will be me going out and buying an A frame and a wee car...

why? you can park a panel van camper anywhere....

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
So much easier to not bother with either, if we wanted to tow something we would have bought a car and caravan.

If we want a car when away we just hire one, when it`s finished with we return it, no worries about buying a tow care, trailer or A frame etc etc.
You can hire a lot of cars for the cost of a small run about, tow bar and a frame or trailer.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
So much easier to not bother with either, if we wanted to tow something we would have bought a car and caravan.

If we want a car when away we just hire one, when it`s finished with we return it, no worries about buying a tow care, trailer or A frame etc etc.
You can hire a lot of cars for the cost of a small run about, tow bar and a frame or trailer.

That's fine if you stay in one place for a period of time, but not really practical if your touring about. I have done both, some sites can have hire cars delivered and picked up making the process easy, others can't and your faced with getting to the hire company to arrange it, which can be a hassle.

Ian

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
why? you can park a panel van camper anywhere....

Judge. My wife has a disability. So unless we can park close to where we are visiting we have to use taxis. No problem when in a town like say Vannes in France. We love to explore wee nooks along coastlines when we are away. Walking is Extremely limited and cycling sadly is out of the question. Not everyone's need my mate are equal.
When we set up on site with perhaps the ground carpet down the tables and chairs out and the Lilipads all nicely set up it would be better not to have to take it all down again if we are gadding about for the day.
In an Ideal world one of those 3 wheeled scooters on a trailer would be ideal. Down sides are we are looking at a minimum of 5K to get a late nice used one and about a grand to get a decent trailer. A 3 wheeled one would allow me to get the boss on the back then get on myself. A conventional scooter will not allow this as the boss cannot get on one if I am sat on first.

A car covers most eventualities and I accept that it limits which countries we can use an A frame .. But as beginners France is a big country and one we came to love when we were there this year.

We did hope and pray we would not find the need for additional transport. My wifes condition is and has got a little worse and will continue to do so. Its a sad fact old pal but we have to deal with it deal with it we will ! ..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Judge. My wife has a disability. So unless we can park close to where we are visiting we have to use taxis. No problem when in a town like say Vannes in France. We love to explore wee nooks along coastlines when we are away. Walking is Extremely limited and cycling sadly is out of the question. Not everyone's need my mate are equal.
When we set up on site with perhaps the ground carpet down the tables and chairs out and the Lilipads all nicely set up it would be better not to have to take it all down again if we are gadding about for the day.
In an Ideal world one of those 3 wheeled scooters on a trailer would be ideal. Down sides are we are looking at a minimum of 5K to get a late nice used one and about a grand to get a decent trailer. A 3 wheeled one would allow me to get the boss on the back then get on myself. A conventional scooter will not allow this as the boss cannot get on one if I am sat on first.

A car covers most eventualities and I accept that it limits which countries we can use an A frame .. But as beginners France is a big country and one we came to love when we were there this year.

We did hope and pray we would not find the need for additional transport. My wifes condition is and has got a little worse and will continue to do so. Its a sad fact old pal but we have to deal with it deal with it we will ! ..

Understood Charlie..... but if yours a 6 metre van with the exception of height barriers you should be able to get into any slot a car can...that was my point. when we got our fisrt panel van could not believ how convenient it was compared to a coachbuilt. If it a longer 636 like we now have I admit that more restricting

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Try Renting cars when you are OVER 70. Some renters wont!. those that do try to increase the rates. (I know this because I went on a car hire site I have used for many years, only to find that ONLY one company would quote. Being of suspicious mind I re-did the quote using age 65. Bingo!! 7 Quotes and cheaper on 3 out of 7!).

Rampant ageism at work again!!!

Pete

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Try Renting cars when you are OVER 70. Some renters wont!. those that do try to increase the rates. (I know this because I went on a car hire site I have used for many years, only to find that ONLY one company would quote. Being of suspicious mind I re-did the quote using age 65. Bingo!! 7 Quotes and cheaper on 3 out of 7!).

Pete

Write to your MP and highlight the situation!!!!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Pete

Pete it proved impossible to rent a car on Il De Re ..

I do realise that buying a car or a bike and trailer is maybe not the cheapest way of cracking the nut. But having our own option means no hassle and wherever we are we have instant and convenient access to it ... We spent quite a few quid so far on the MH and all the stuff that goes with it (Blimey does it ever stop ! :D) So we may as well complete the whole shebang and have done with it..
Messing around trying very hard to ensure FULL insurance on hire cars is a pain. I sure Im not alone in feeling uncomfortable when they demand to keep my passport ... Nah Il just sort it out for my/ourselves. (y)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008

Pete

If you have ever been parking up vans at a rally you may notice the lack of driving skills of SOME older drivers ! (not all)---just to save the stupid replies

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Pete it proved impossible to rent a car on Il De Re ..

I do realise that buying a car or a bike and trailer is maybe not the cheapest way of cracking the nut. But having our own option means no hassle and wherever we are we have instant and convenient access to it ... We spent quite a few quid so far on the MH and all the stuff that goes with it (Blimey does it ever stop ! :D) So we may as well complete the whole shebang and have done with it..
Messing around trying very hard to ensure FULL insurance on hire cars is a pain. I sure Im not alone in feeling uncomfortable when they demand to keep my passport ... Nah Il just sort it out for my/ourselves. (y)
Totally agree with you.
Once the decision is made that a car is needed to explore while not having to pack everything away in the mh, there is no substitute for being self contained and relying on no one to rent you something to achieve the original aim.
Too many have either not tried it or simply don't want to yet insist that it is the wrong decision. Blinkered or what?
I was very unsure about the decision till I tried it and without doubt on longer trips, the cost has been repaid dozens of times.
No regrets at all even though we only toad about one trip in 5.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp

Pete

Mate of mine delivers new cars daily all over the Uk for something to do & at the age of 70 with no problems ,yet struggles when hiring a car ? Nonsensical.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Renting a car is difficult if you have dogs. We have a toad and occasionally use it, UK only, we don't find we need it in Europe even though our MH is just under 8m. We avoid cities and large towns from choice though, not because of parking but because we don't like them.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Renting a car is difficult if you have dogs. We have a toad and occasionally use it, UK only, we don't find we need it in Europe even though our MH is just under 8m. We avoid cities and large towns from choice though, not because of parking but because we don't like them.

The city of Vannes with its stunning architecture is not to be missed. OK I would rather have been on a beach but the weather was not up to it.. La Rochelle is another awesome place and while parking would not have been the impossibility it was in Vannes it would have been very hard.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Been to La Rochelle, although we tend to avoid the west coast of France as it can be a bit 'English'. If I recall aright we left the MH on the municipal site at La Rochelle and walked along the prom, but there was parking in that area a lot nearer to the town. There is an aire at Vannes, but haven't been there so I don't know what it's like.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Been to La Rochelle, although we tend to avoid the west coast of France as it can be a bit 'English'. If I recall aright we left the MH on the municipal site at La Rochelle and walked along the prom, but there was parking in that area a lot nearer to the town. There is an aire at Vannes, but haven't been there so I don't know what it's like.

Easy to do that walk along the prom at LaRochelle if able bodied... There lies the problem . Try finding a space to park a motor home in the centre.... Short time limits apply and that's if you can find a space at all. Even a small car would be hard.
As for Vannes trust me parking a motor home anywhere near the centre is not going to happen.

I'm on holiday... I don't want the stress of parking or finding parking for the MH. Nor do I want to take down the awning pack everything away just so I can put it all out again later in the day. Least not where there are alternatives....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That's probably the best most informative and acurate post I've read in these now frequent arguments on this subject...

Shame more cant post good information like that without shouting..

we have many times but people see what they want to see:)

European law based on Napoleonic, ours Common law, based on precedent (past decisions) and as A frames have not been tested in court they are neither legal or illegal here. But in Europe they are illegal

get an idea here: http://about-france.com/french-legal-system.htm

situation will probably change with type approval

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It's a curious situation Judge. If something is not illegal then by default it has to be legal .
I mean come on you are the Judge ? You are a real judge aren't you ????

I don't give a monkeys. Unless I'm going to break laws I won't start to worry.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
It's a curious situation Judge. If something is not illegal then by default it has to be legal .

Here it is simple. If there is a law allowing it then you can do it.:xThumb: If there is no law ,then you can't.:xsad:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Honestly Charlie how could you doubt moi! Don't worry.... course I am!:censored: But don't forget the Mental bit:cautious:

Yes many use them here but can be a drama abroad especially in Spain where you can be fined. a trailer offers peace of mind, legal everywhere. A smart car can go on a tiny folding trailer. IF I wanted to take a car I think this is what i would do....

SMALL CAR TRAILER.JPG

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Don't worry.... course I am!:censored: But don't forget the Mental bit:cautious:

Yes many use them here but can be a drama abroad especially in Spain where you can be fined. a trailer offers peace of mind, legal everywhere. A smart car can go on a tiny folding trailer. IF I wanted to take a car I think this is what i would do....

View attachment 85368
i thought that all car trailers in the uk had to be four wheeled and braked? might be wrong?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
i thought that all car trailers in the uk had to be four wheeled and braked? might be wrong?

I dont know Chris to be honest...is that one not braked? Pic chosen at random, only posted as an example for Charlie.

edit: @chrisgreen called Brian James and they do single wheel for small cars.... Yes they are legal

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/CTPLUK1014C2C4_1.pdf

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
I dont know Chris to be honest...is that one not braked? Pic chosen at random, only posted as an example for Charlie.
looking at the pic its braked,but only single axle,i remember from banger racing day's all the guys moaning because the law was changing that stopped them using 2 wheel trailers, normally an old caravan chassis to move their cars around.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Judge I don't want to be controversial ;) however I am sure that if you phone car - a - tow (other suppliers of a frames are available) they would tell you it was legal to tow a car on an a-frame. @Charlie we tow a car using a an a-frame. We have been nicked and fined in Germany and had to uncouple and drive over the boarder to Holland. We have been stopped in France and after a conversation with the police and showing them Broken Link Removed we were allowed to continue on our journey. It has put us off using the a-frame in Germany and I wouldn't even think of going to Spain.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Here it is simple. If there is a law allowing it then you can do it.:xThumb: If there is no law ,then you can't.:xsad:

I beg to differ . Unless one is breaking the law how can or would it be punishable in any way to use any item in any way ..... There is no such thing as s non law.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back