Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I rest my case your honour

Peter, re the Smart, no brake actuation?

One of the simple mistakes continually made, irrespective of law, is accepting in theory that the car when on an A frame and attached to the van/tow vehicle becomes a trailer therefore subject in theory again to trailer law is the buisness of 750kg or less trailers don't require brakes. This in principle is correct, BUT if you continue to read you get to the part that states, if brakes are fitted they must work. The Smart has brakes therefore regardless of weight the must work.

This is without getting into any of the rest of this well discussed discussion.

100% Dodgy... you have not been reading the law have you? (competition!).. also my I remind you that a Smart (I am on my second one (new shape now - both from new) has in effect a automatic triptronic box and should not be towed more than 40 miles - damage can happen otherwise to the transmission. See the hand book that comes with the Smart .. certainly in the 4-2 last issue (had that one nearly 6 years) and also in the new shape which I have had since January... I certainly would not tow it on an A frame... yes seen loads of them that have been converted (I presume). The old 6 speed box and the new 5 speed box were not designed for the wear and tear that an A frame can create.

Anyway I digress as often I do. Dodgy is right the 750 rule is for a trailer WITHOUT brakes. The construction regs say if the trailer (presume the car is a trailer for the exercise and as the dft thinks that a car on an A frame is at this time) has brakes they have to work. That is all 4 wheels not two as in a caravan. Plus the Smart is more than 750 kgs and therefore has to be treated as a braked trailer in law.

I have the law books loaded now for Bath & West and Lincoln so we can discuss this until the cows come home.

Bob:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back