A Frames legal

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Road Runner, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Caravan & Camping club book September page 54 states A frame's are legal trailer as long as braked and lights work iin the UK and other EU countries should allow them as legal in UK for UK residents.

If I read it right

2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

it is all in the words

If I recall we went over this old chestnut only a week or two ago? It is all in the words . BRAKED... what they do not deal with is the weight of the towed vehicle against the towing vehicle. Vehicle use and construction regs apply... more than happy to bring my Wilkinsons Road traffice Act books to Bath & West or Lincoln and discuss it with anyone who is interested. Very boring law. But when I see some of the vehilces being towed I have my doubts.

Bob:Doh:

3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Is this a new subject thread John :BigGrin::BigGrin:

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I know I know its well covered but another big group/publication saying its legal.

I got stopped on Motorway few months ago on regular inspection checking all vehicle classes so bikes lorries and so on.

Had my licence for few minute then said OK checked to toads lights them man from the ministry complimented me on the frame saying "thats a good bit of kit" was expecting the worst till then.

I suppose I was pulled as trailer board on so looking scruffy unit so lights now through car

Now don't tow the toad so much as dont want the stress again.

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I concur with John, the CCC mag does indeed appear to support the legality of the A frame
    Despite others comments, a legal test case is yet to be tried
    Bob I'd be happy to spent and hr or two chatting over the laws with you:Smile:
    After a pint or two we may even agree:thumb:
    Bring yer guns in case we dont:Eeek:
    Bring em anyway I like looking at western replicas:thumb:
    Geo

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

well I have one of the guns for sale

They are locked in the safe on the RV, so I will have them with me. I do have one of the guns for sale by the way... gun belt is a bit large (being a well built chap).. plus I have the 9 mm blanks as well. Let me know if you want to see them even if it is just to find out about them and see the weight of them (same as the real thing and yes in the USA I have fired the real things on a range). For those that did not see me at Malvern I was dressed in black with a Drifters long coat, black rodeo hat, stingray boot (note I said boot and not boots) bandana, string Smith & Western silver/gold tie and a fancy silver buckle (big one).. and of course a pair of guns in the belts... evil some say I looked... time to worry is when I smile:Laughing: But yes I will have them at Bath & West and Lincoln.. plus the law books if need be (need to know as they are heavy and take space up)... but happy to give an opinion as to the law as it stands now. (no I do not and have not done matrimonial work).

As you know I do not agree with a blanket statement in this post, the law is to fickle and it does come down to the police officer or VOSA inspector. I have spent a small fortune on my trailer meeting the UK and European regs, even double sets of lights (not a light board).and the correct size zig zag boards taking in to account how long the RV is with the disabled trailer even european speed limit signs. I love my money and do not spend it on that kind of work unless I have to .. But I would rather do that than get pulled.

Just my personal opinion tinted with the knowledge of my former line of work. .. I have argued many a traffic case in the magistrates court where the client thought he knew best or the law did not apply to him (or her) or they thought the regulations did not apply to them.

What do you call 5,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea ??????? some would say a good start.:thumb:

Bob

7. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    As with all DFT,VOSA,DVLA information that I have seen there is always a disclaimer to the effect that the information is their interpretation of the regulations but the courts are the only body that can make definitive law.
    VOSA now have powers to impose on the spot fines and have powers to impound or take vehicles off the road causing great financial hardship and inconvenience based on their INTERPRETATION of the regulations.
    As far as vehicles legal in the UK being legal throughout the EU the powers that be have the same powers as VOSA, try arguing the finer points of EU regulations with an armed gendarme or guardia civil and see how far you get!
    Who amongst us can afford to hire barristers and contest these interpretations in the high court, I think this is a ridiculous situation and the laws should be clarified.

8. Simba

Simba Read Only Funster

Hi Bob. If you are going to have some sort of discussion about this at Bath & West I would be interested.
    Thanks
    Bill.

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I should think a few of us would be interested in discussing it at Shepton.

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Usually ends in a punch up on line, glad I'm not at Shepton.

PS - we are at a family wedding so may end up pretty similar.

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

cheers Brian, must make sure to take body armour etc, hee hee

12. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Hope Bob has got a big RV or that the weathers good because there will be a lot of people taking interest in this .

By the way Bob has already said that he is a big lad and that he has a couple of 45's so if it comes to a punch up I'm putting my money on Bob:Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. aba

aba

just out of interest have any of you that tow on an a-frame actually sat in the toad whilst being towed???
    i sat in a car on a frame and took mental notes as to how it steers and after a very sharp U bend decided that under no circumstances am i putting any car i own on an a-frame the stresses these put on a car can not be good for it or the rear of the motorhome.
    if you imagine a single axle trailer and how it pivots on the axle this is how the car on a frame tries to turn but there is no pivot point in the middle so it drags the front one way and pushes the rear sideways on this non existent pivot point.

if you don't believe me take your toad to a local supermarket carpark and try a couple of sharp turns and watch or better still get someone else to drive the motorhome and sit in the toad.

trailer for me every time now it really opened my eyes:Eeek::Eeek:

14. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Hi Bob,

Since only old lawyers tell old legal jokes, how can you tell if a lawyer is lying?
    See if his lips are moving...

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I understand exactly what your saying but only agree with a small portion of it

The cars suspension Tyres and steering behave exactly as they would when driven

The stresses imposed on the motor home are less than that of a 4 wheel caravan which no steering at all

I agree that the stresses imposed on the front of the toad by the A frame are unnatural. but the toad is reinforced or should be to cope

I suspect its this unatural force that is giving you the feeling of being dragged,take it from me there is little danger of damage being caused to any toad used as intended
    Geo

16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

No stress on my toad :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Attached Files:

17. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

No but his headlights want setting:RollEyes:

18. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

something wrong with image size will try again :Eek!:

19. Larrynwin