A Frames in Spain

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tony Hunt, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Tony Hunt

Tony Hunt Read Only Funster

Just a warning to anybody that uses A Frames. Friends of ours were stopped on the Motorway outside of Barcelona recently whilst on the way home and fined £100 on the spot for using an A Frame. Apparently new regulations brought in in that part of Spain on the 1st Jan.
    Apologies if this is already common knowledge, havent been on the forum for a little while.
    Has anybody had the same problem in other european countries ?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Tony

This issue was discussed a few weeks ago.., apparently there are new towing regulations in Spain that prohibit the use of towing frames .. as usual I can't find the thread.. :Sad:

Jim

3. Tony Hunt

Oh well it was nice visiting them. They obviously dont want tourists money.

4. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

They do,they just don't want something on their roads that they consider "unsafe".:Wink:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I have never come across anyone who thought they were "unsafe" but met plenty who thought that they did not meet trailer regulations are were therefore illegal. Millions of miles in Europe and tens of millions in the USA have proved, beyond doubt, that they are safe and convenient.

Sersol, why do the Spanish consider them "unsafe"? Can you point somewhere where I can get the Spanish view on their safety? It would be interesting to see how they have come to that conclusion, if indeed they have.

6. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

Hi Jim no I can't, you will have seen the "wink" at the end of my post. (FUN :Angry:)
    I just imagine that's why the Spanish have taken this measure because they think they are unsafe..........not me I don't give a hoot.
    I just thought that most laws were there on a safety purpose. I suppose its I bit like having that red/white square on the old bike rack.
    Gary

7. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

A-frames in Spain

Tony, what happened after the fine? Could they continue using the A-frame, or did they have to separate the car? We'd like the info so we can advise those stopping here (we have two rigs with A-frames heading for Spain here at present).

Bob

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Sorry Gary, should have realised that you were just on a wind-up:Wink:

9. Tony Hunt

Hello Bob.
    Usual problem when the police scarpered afterwards on an emergency call.
    Same as happened to me when we arrived at Parc Verger, after a day or two towing the car battery was flat, something to do with brake & side lights running it down. Anyway the police had left them in a highly dangerous spot so they put a tow rope on and started towing it around Barcelona city centre ( got lost in the panic) To cut a long story short, they got the car started eventually and his son drove it just in case, as soon as they got to the french border they hooked up again and drove home vowing not to visit spain again.
    I vowed that myself ages ago, I mean what has the place got going for it other than the sunshine in winter. Its a 1000 mile drive on expensive fuel, crime rate is far worse than here, especially muggings and robberies on tourists & the like. In the summer the sun is too hot, lol.. what do people see in the place.
    Id much rather tour France and stay at lovely sites like yours Bob.
    Happy New year to you and Di and thanks for a wonderful stay last August. I forgot to put money in the wi fi box when I left, my apologies and will make amends next time we come.

10. Tony Hunt

Bob. Maybe be an idea to advise those people to miss the big cities and their ring roads. Take the smaller main roads and keep their heads down & take a chance. The police in the major city areas are probably on a fund raising trip.
    I just wondered if a few have been stopped and fined what are they doing about it when they get home. Is there anything they can do to get their money back I wonder. Several years ago somebody disputed a fine for using an A frame in spain and got their fine refunded by the courts there, wouldnt that have set a precedent.

11. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

Back in 2006 we nearly got stopped around the Barcelona area by what we are sure were bogus police, luckily we made our escape, which makes me wonder if your friend may of been stopped by similar people as from what we could find it apparantly happens quiet a lot around there.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  12. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

A couple of years ago a couple of friends towng a frames were pulled just after crossing into Spain,, and were warned and told to detach,, luckily both wifes could drive but it spoilt there holiday for a few days, they then took their chances and recoupled and had no more problems,, No fine just warned.. :Sad:

13. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

What amazes me is in the summer when the caravans are out in force its not usual to see one turned over but never seen a toad overturned.

BTW:- I like tugging so not a dig but an observation.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  14. Tony Hunt

I think if it were me I would write to the Barcelona police to check out wether they were indeed Bogus police. My mates son actually took a photo of the police taking the money off them at which point they went loopy and shouted no photos. He still has the photos on his camera apparently.

15. theresa

theresa Read Only Funster

what do we do now. we are due to take a ar to spain in feb . i cant drive , so do we now leave the car home or take a chance. any advice please :Blush:

16. Braunston

Hi, Tony

We didn't stop as we weren't happy about the situation but i think i would do as you are suggesting and write to them.

17. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Hi theresa.
    I think you are unlikely to get an answer that you would like to hear on this question,, If some say take a chance and go for it, and you do get pulled it will ruin your holiday. and the members suggesting you go for it will feel pretty gutted that you took their advise. (I would).
    My only suggestion would be is to hire a trailer, or if you are in the position to store one at home,, Buy one, that way you have covered your back and in the eyes of the Spanish Police are 100%.. And can enjoy your holiday..:thumb:
    All the best with whatever choice you make.

Maurice.

18. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Everyone has to make up their own mind and take responsibility for their actions.

But this would not stop me A Framing for one second these guys were probably bogus anyway hence the reaction to photos and the quick exit. If I did get stopped Jan would drive the car for half an hour and then I'd hook back up or if she couldn't drive we'd park up for an hour then carry on our way.

As for safety we've driven 10's of thousands of miles with a car on tow in the states and never once considered it unsafe. Bearing in mind the yanks attitude to compensation claims I am happy to assume it's very safe as the roads are full of RV's towing cars.

Just my humble opinion :thumb:

19. Braunston

Hi,

I agree with Old-mo it is really an impossible question to answer,

I don't know how long you are going for but have you looked into hiring a car as when i did some searching on the internet and you can get some very good deals which may help if you decide not to take you car, what ever you do we wish you well and hope you have a great time

20. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I would go and not let it spoil your holiday.