A Frames in Spain

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by laneside, Nov 16, 2012.

1. laneside

laneside Funster

Well we have been touring Spain for six weeks now and have seen many cars on trailers but only one A frame and he was pulled up by the police on the way to Malaga------- you have been warned

• Like Like x 2
  2. peter marshall

peter marshall

They might learn one day, I have heard all the gaff about paperwork etc, but if they say unhitch they have the last word. :Sad::Sad::Sad: Pete

3. rarin2go

rarin2go Read Only Funster

Travelled down Spain the other week with friends who have an a-frame and had no bother. We met plenty of police and some even came to their assistance in a town and at the ferry port and not a comment was made.

• Like Like x 1
  4. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    They were lucky 3 lots of my friends got fined this year, and told to unhitch, luckily all wives could drive, perhaps different branches of the police deal with A frames.
    On an other thing, I got pulled last night near home for having my side lights and front fog lights on, the reason being one of my dipped headlight bulbs was gone (now replaced) I told him the reason and he let me on my way, saying it's going a bit misty now (So why did he stop me in the first place if it was misty which it wasn't) perhaps smelling for booze. Pete :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Is that right.... ? :Eeek:

I thought "A" frames were legal every where... :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  6. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Not in France

7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Spanish road traffic law has ALWAYS outlawed the towing of any road vehicle by another. This is NOT in conflict with any "EU Law" as there is no such thing as EU law.
    there are only "EU Directives" on certain matters....which EU member states agree to pass into their own domestic law, based upon their interpretation of that gneral Directive.
    There has NEVER been an EU Directive on towing. it is up to each Member State to set its own law in this area. Spain outlaws the towing of one vehicle with another. In the UK the law is muddy and unclear.
    Some people in the UK maintain that a car somehow miraculously transforms itself via some magic, into a trailer when attached to a tow bar....for the purposes of UK law only.
    In Spain this arrant nonsense is not accepted. If it looks like a car, ir if performs like a car. if it has seats and an engine and is registered as a car, it is NOT transformed into a trailer just by adding a bit of steel bar to the front of the car.

Spain is/maybe breaking EU Law relating to the EC convension on visiting vehicles. If the visitors home country permits these devices then the visiting country is oblidged to allow passage.

Do not tow a car behind your motorhome in Spain. You will be breaking the law here.

• Like Like x 2
  8. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Dont start them off again.

• Like Like x 2