A Frames are now approved in France?

Discussion in 'France' started by J&S, Oct 18, 2016.

1. J&S

J&S Funster

Hi I have just been told by the owner/trader of TowBars 2 TowCars Near Grimsby that since the A Frames he sells are marked as CE approved I can (as a visitor, not a resident in France or Germany) tow a my car in those countries for up to 6 Months.

He said the CE directive (not EU laws) allows travellers from one country to drive/use any vehicles/trailers & A Frames which are legally on the road in their own country for up to 6 months in any other country that has signed up to the CE directive.

He did add that since Spain had not signed up to the CE directive that I could not use it in over there.

He also commented that EU law is not the controlling thing with respect to A Frames, its the CE directive that matters...

Is he breaking British law saying things that are not true to prospective buyers of his A Frames ?????

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. laneside

laneside Funster

Get it off him in writing

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't pretend to understand the legislation involved and how it differs in different countries. However, perhaps one way to be certain is to ask the owner of the company if he will indemnify you against the results of any prosecution for using his product :)

• Like Like x 7
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Try telling that to "les Flics" when they pull you over and march to off to the cash machine to pay the fine....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Speve

Speve Funster

Oh well here we go again costing me a fortune in popcorn second one this month.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. big map

big map Funster Life Member

[​IMG]

Here you go Alan and this one is suitable for vegans (y)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. J&S

J&S Funster

But is he correct?

8. Speve

Speve Funster

Nice one I like it like it like it:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I am with @GJH on this one. The EU can over ride certain laws but not all. Get some kind of indemnity off him or don't risk it.

10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I wonder how long it took him to come up with that one.

I love the sales pitches these guys come up with :rofl:

The CE mark is nothing more than the European equivalent of the old BSi mark - the kite mark. It signifies compliance with minimum health and safety standards to allow the product to be sold, nothing more. There is no such thing as a catch all "CE Directive" Each individual product that gains the mark has it's own set of standards written that are collectively referred to as the Product Directive.

There's no way that this could in any way override local law that defines a particular product as illegal to use.

It's up to you of course but I'd want a much more reliable guarantee than just taking the word of someone manufacturing or selling the product.

• Like Like x 3
  11. The Nomad

The Nomad Funster

The "CE compliance that he's talking about is ONLY with regard to the design of the towballmount. There is a CE STANDARD across Europe for towballmount bar and cup design to ensure any trailer will fit onto any towballmount. That is UTTERLY NOTHING to do with the design or manufacture of the rest of the unit, NOR to the illegality of its actual useto tow one road vehicle with anothet road vehicle in France,Germany,Spain, Portugal et al.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Same tale as less scrupulous RV dealer saying you can drive ANY weight RV on a car licence....

Bullshit !

They will tell you anything to make a sale.
    If that's the attitude of this dealer they need avoiding.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

He is a salesman so he is lying. As far as Spain is concerned it has been stated time and time again that the reason A frames are illegal is that you are not allowed to tow one vehicle with another.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

As @Mikeco says, the Spanish prohibit the towing of vehicles unless broken down. I believe that there are French sellers as they see the law similar to us.
    I use one and would be comfortable using it in France but if the French police were to stop me i would not try to convince them that I was right.

15. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Why don't we include A frames in the Brexit negotiations and see how far we get?:)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. J&S

J&S Funster

My question was is he breaking British law? Not can I use it in Spain!

Anyway ...Thanks all of you or nearly all (as some seem to think its funny) for your comments and replies folks... At least most of you appreciate the importance of my question.
    J&S Hurworth, Durham.

17. kevan

kevan Funster Life Member

We have only been back from France for a week after the twin lakes trip, We towed our Skoda Citigo there and back saw loads of the law and even attracted the attention if the Gendarmarie
    they walked over to us in a motorway air'e while my wife was giving our dog a comfort break, i thought, "here we go" one spoke good English and all they were interested in was how the system worked and how the servo was refilled to stop dead pedal, they seemed quite impressed and thanked me and wished us a safe onward journey. and while at twin lakes other Funsters were rolling in towing on A- Frames as well.(y)

So put the popcorn away;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I won't clutter the thread up with a complete breakdown of the French legislation on towing with A frames and suggest that you refer this chap to the following law:

Article 311-1 of the Code de la Route. In simple terms it says that only a trailer may be towed behind a vehicle, an exception being allowed in the case of a breakdown. A trailer is defined as being unable to be capable of self propulsion.

Is he perhaps a close associate of Monsieur Hollande and been given special dispensation for the use of his A frames in France?

• Like Like x 3
  19. kevan

kevan Funster Life Member

Me and thousands of others, but then i haven't got a french law degree easy to quote french rules, all the EU law states is that if a trailer as got four wheels that are braked then all those brakes must work,
    and i resent the IS HE statement
    the post was a statement of fact and not open to Ridicule from other members:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  20. laneside

laneside Funster

Here we go again, if you need a car then get a flipping caravan

• Like Like x 9