Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There was a tread on this or another forum earlier this year about tow car chassis fracturing while or because of A-Frame use.

DVSA were given reports on a number of incidents and were looking into the fitting of frames to crumple zone structures. A number of users reported that they had to unhitch the toad while abroad and have it recovered or scrapped, because of front ends breaking away from the rest of the toad. One vehicle had just been MOTd before the trip so inspection was not picking up this problem.

This is an area where type approval of the vehicle could be compromised.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hang on while I go for popcorn reinforcements ..

If we could have a thread whereA frames And dog logs are together what fun and jolly japes that would be..

I were down on one knee unhooking me A frame when I put my knee in a dog logley when the site warden came over to tell me there is a 5 night minimum stay. At that point a tugger wiped out the electric and s fight developed over whether motor homes or caravans were superior ..
My what fun !!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hang on while I go for popcorn reinforcements ..

If we could have a thread whereA frames And dog logs are together what fun and jolly japes that would be..
Whoa whoa whoa! Not happy with anyone who fits an A frame to their dug!:mad: Not even if it's a blo*** greyhound!(n)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There was a tread on this or another forum earlier this year about tow car chassis fracturing while or because of A-Frame use.

DVSA were given reports on a number of incidents and were looking into the fitting of frames to crumple zone structures. A number of users reported that they had to unhitch the toad while abroad and have it recovered or scrapped, because of front ends breaking away from the rest of the toad. One vehicle had just been MOTd before the trip so inspection was not picking up this problem.

This is an area where type approval of the vehicle could be compromised.

Hmm?. 1) levels of corrosion?. 2) Manufacturer fitted tow eye?. 3)Age(s) of vehicle. 4) attempting to reverse too often?. 5) Towing a previous Cat3 Write off?. There will have been some specific weakness with the individual vehicles involved. Even putting a car on a Trailer Stresses it! and lashing it too tight can cause suspension issues. (I have a long story about that, involving a traction engine).

Pete

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hmm?. 1) levels of corrosion?. 2) Manufacturer fitted tow eye?. 3)Age(s) of vehicle. 4) attempting to reverse too often?. 5) Towing a previous Cat3 Write off?. There will have been some specific weakness with the individual vehicles involved. Even putting a car on a Trailer Stresses it! and lashing it too tight can cause suspension issues. (I have a long story about that, involving a traction engine).

Pete

The car in the thread was Im 90% sure an old banger that had been used as a tow car for 9 years and more.

So of course it was held up as an example of how cars towed all fall apart... I would imagine its possible to bugger any type of towable device like a trailer. An A frame .A Caravan or just about anything one can hook onto a tow hitch if the operator is daft enough.

It actually tickles me how seriously people take the fact that others choose to tow a car on an A frame. What I cant understand if I'm honest is why we have this A frame Mafia who often put up ridiculous comments when they have never used an A frame and never will.

Me ? Well I know next to nothing so I aint commenting on the pros and cons . Except to say when I have actually spoken to the experts form the likes of Tow bars to tow cars they have absolutely assured me they will give me written conformation that the later electronically braked devices DO meet legislation and therefore are legal. This is and has been confirmed in writing...

Sits back and waits to be told otherwise............Mmmmmm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have a standard jockey wheel on my Armitage A-frame, takes about 2 minutes to unhook from the MH and the car can be driven to be parked out of the way. I would think that the set up in the video needs two to hitch up. I can remove the A frame and stow it in the rear locker in about five minutes. It is very handy for the UK where campsites are usually some distance form any town. However in Europe we do not bother with it. We take an E bike for herself and the keep fit version for me. (They also have cycle paths) It can be a little difficult on some Aires at busy times with the A frame, thus I no longer bother with it over there. We are looking to take some winter sun this year, and our research tells us that you can hire a small car very cheaply, not worth the extra ferry fare. I have tried the trailer option but found with the Hyundai i10 it reduces the payload,(less wine) and on a trailer there is more drag . I get 24.5 mpg towing and 26 mpg solo, with the 3.0 litre Ducato on a tag axle MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back