A frames (Again!)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by davejen, Apr 1, 2013.

1. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, all we are thinking of buying a Toyota Aygo, automatic to tow , on an Aframe, have any of you got one and tow it? ,any probs? I have had an a Frame before, an overrun type but this time am thinking of one of the "new type" with the smart box inside the car, Have you got one? and what is your experience of it? There seem to be 3 main players, which is best for service, and also price. ANY info gratefully received, thanks,
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

2. DJA

DJA Funster

A Frame / Toyota Aygo

Hi

Just to say we have an 08 Aygo automatic and we have towed that for many a mile in Europe with no difficulty.

Our A Frame setup was supplied by Towtal.

Doug

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i assume the aygo is a manual box with electronic auto gear change...same idea as the smart car ?

4. davejen

davejen Funster

That's correct PJ
    Dave

5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

What do Toyota say about towing it in this way - would it negate your warranty?

6. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I tow a Kia Picanto ona UNIBRAKE A frame. Works well and never had a problem.

7. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

We tow a a new Panda on a tow-bars 2 tow-cars a frame. As you say only 3 choices of this type of frame. We chose this as the ABS can be made to work, but all 3 have their plus & minus points. But dare I say it ! these are alleged to be the best bet for 2014 regs .Also comes with a CE conformity certificate. The frame is light compared with the over run type, and as for towing, brilliant.
    Price £1500 +vat

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  8. busby

busby Funster

Can you reverse with car on A Frame?

9. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

yes

10. Hercules

Hercules Read Only Funster

Yes, even able to reverse into side road, my little Aixam goes where it's pushed regardless of where the front wheels are pointing.

11. monk

monk Read Only Funster

Hi Dave I tow a VW UP with a Armitage A-Frame and found no problems whatsoeverwith it also i would recomend them to anybody

12. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Talking of A Frames, what happened to Elvis and the all encompassing, super legal, even in Spain, product that her in-laws produced at the Peterborough show 2 years ago? It was apparently so far advanced that the rivals came round in the dead of night to take a look. I was reasonably impressed at the time but, not interested in buying and not too technical as far as towing systems were concerned, that wasn't too difficult. No posts from Elvis since this time last year. :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Surely the engine would have to be running for the ABS to work :Eeek:

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

On their site it says:

and

from their FAQs section:

So the CE Approvals Certificate which they show on their site 'appears' to support the conformity of the BRAKING mechanism for UK law, but I can't find any actual Certificate that confirms that it definitely conforms to the TRAILER regs ... unless I've missed it somewhere! :Blush:

Personally as with all 'A' frames I believe, I do NOT like the fact that no mileage is recorded when the car is being towed which IMV is wrong and misleading as the tyres/wheels/brakes/some mechanicals etc will all have done the mileage, only the engine won't have, so a subsequent owner wouldn't truly know the mileage the vehicle had covered.

15. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Apparently not, the ignition comes on during braking activating the ABS. only small downside the car registers mileage whilst braking.

16. busby

busby Funster

I see in MMM this morning a reader has been fined yet again in Spain for towing using an A Frame. He had the manufacturers Spanish translation stating it was fully legal but still got fined. Hard to argue with a Policeman with a gun.

17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I use an A frame (Car-a-tow) and we were thinking of replacing our toad. We will now wait for the new law next year as it looks possible that all the A frames may not comply with the new law, in which case we will stop towing, as trailers are pretty impractical. This will also mean we will stop touring in the UK (the only place we need a toad)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

Hi, Had our Aygo fitted by Towbars 2 Towcars last month. Can only say that it works superbly behind our Swift Bolero. Great firm to deal with and would highly recommend. I did loads of research before buying and I am sure made the correct choice. You will find lots of differing opinions and many experts. If you do as much research as I did you will soon learn to ckeck facts and discount opinions given by people who do not tow.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Bernie.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The towbars to towcars braking is electrical and inertia operated, basically the same as the brake buddy which has been in use for many years. It may be legal after 2014 depending on how the UK implementation of the directive is worded. If it only outlaws overrun brakes then it will be legal. I will wait and see :thumb:

20. jetsets

jetsets Read Only Funster

STill not sure...

We are currently towing an armitages scooter trailer so we have some transport when parked up on site. However in this country if you want to go exploring in our weather its a pain to get all the protective gear on ( for two of us) and then it gets wet, and you cant take walking boots rucksacks etc etc with you very easily. Also getting the scooter on and off the ramp on a soggy campsite pitch with a bad back and its no fun. I Have to say it does tow great though.

We also go to France in the summer and planned on taking the scooter this time. But again wearing gear when its hot makes us think the scooter is not an option. So ..

We are looking at going for a small car to tow behind, but all the chatter about legalities etc. is making us think twice.

SO what should we do?

Motorhomes like ours have loads more storage than caravans so are much more practical for 'touring'. So to those that say if you need transport then have a car and caravan, we have done that and found that when we stop the first things is to get out chairs table windbreaks etc. that were stored in the living space in the caravan then they get left in the rain while you struggle to get the awning up - after two nights awning down again, wet/dirty stuff back inside the caravan, no thanks. . No such probs with our MH.

What about a 5th Wheel rig? - needs a biggish vehicle to pull it - specially adapted - and over the top as a car for a couple, and occasional grand kids/elderly parents. -and storage is presumably still a problem. Also 5th wheel units seem very big?

So for us the answer seems to be a MH towing a small car which can be used at home as a car not a truck. When we go somewhere where its not needed it wont come with us.

We are looking at swapping our current car for a fairly new Fiat 500/Panda, which will do fine as a day to day car and will not break our MH towing limit even with the latest braking stuff and a frame.- My Back will survive the very simple hitching up process. Its a risk as the law my bite back one day, and the MPG will be lower and ferry costs higher but you only live once, and you cant take it with you.

Last edited: May 29, 2013