Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
English chappie on site here at Javea has towed his car all over Europe France, Germany, Switzerland, Luxemburg, Austria,Italy, Croatia and then across S France to Spain.
He never had a problem nor was he stopped by the Police. However, as it was his first time in Spain and hearing about the Spanish Police fineing toads he unhooked and his wife drove the car.
So it would appear that its only the Spanish Police who are on the make.
Anyone had the same experience in the other countries?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
English chappie on site here at Javea has towed his car all over Europe France, Germany, Switzerland, Luxemburg, Austria,Italy, Croatia and then across S France to Spain.
He never had a problem nor was he stopped by the Police. However, as it was his first time in Spain and hearing about the Spanish Police fineing toads he unhooked and his wife drove the car.
So it would appear that its only the Spanish Police who are on the make.
Anyone had the same experience in the other countries?

They are not on the make, as you put it, it is the LAW. If I breakdown with my Spanish car in Spain, I cannot get my mate (or anybody else) to tow me home or to a garage, it HAS to be lifted by a breakdown truck.....TOW NO WAY, not just for MH`s towing a car on A Frame.

All you have to understand is that it is NOT the police being "Funny", they are just up holding the law of Spain. People might not like it but that is how it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
a sorry tale

OK I don't know if its true BUT was told a story of a couple towing and were stopped by the Spanish Police. The wife couldn't drive so they were fined E 250 and sent on their way!!!! :Angry:They stopped for a long time in an aire JUST in case the Police had radioed ahead to their mates so they could do the same. :Eeek:
As I say its a story BUT:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They are not on the make, as you put it, it is the LAW. If I breakdown with my Spanish car in Spain, I cannot get my mate (or anybody else) to tow me home or to a garage, it HAS to be lifted by a breakdown truck.....TOW NO WAY, not just for MH`s towing a car on A Frame.

All you have to understand is that it is NOT the police being "Funny", they are just up holding the law of Spain. People might not like it but that is how it is.
Agreed Bill, and i posted the same a long time ago.

i think the problem is the police 'turned a blind eye' to it for a long time, as far as foreign A frame users are concerned, but are now tightening up on this official Spanish road rule.

folks seem to think it is a money maker for the Spanish authorities but the number of A frame users being stopped and fined isnt going to solve their financial problems any time soon.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Its due to the belief that you are towing a car in contravention of Spanish law:RollEyes:
clearly you are not:Doh:
You are towing a trailer, UK law says so:winky::winky:
I assume towing trailers and caravans with A frames is still legal in Spain:RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All you have to understand is that it is NOT the police being "Funny", they are just up holding the law of Spain.

If ever a law looks like it was forced through by a big company or trade association that does.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its due to the belief that you are towing a car in contravention of Spanish law:RollEyes:
I assume towing trailers and caravans with A frames is still legal in Spain:RollEyes:

but a trailer or caravan isnt a motorised vehicle Geo...and you know it :reel::reel: :ROFLMAO:

BTW...no response on the MOT thread yet :Doh:

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
but a trailer or caravan isnt a motorised vehicle Geo...and you know it :reel::reel: :ROFLMAO:

BTW...no response on the MOT thread yet :Doh:

Try driving the toad with the A frame still attached and see what they say:ROFLMAO:
If they argue that the A frame is only bolted I would say, so is the engine Ill take that out instead :winky:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

if thay see this thread thay may pass a new law baning towing trailers with a frames if you have a British registered car:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I live in Spain for around 4 months each year. The law in Spain has always stipulated that you cannot tow a car by any means whatever. It has to be done by a Grau (breakdown truck). All car insurance policies in Spain include breakdown cover as a standard feature for that very reason.

I have a vested interest as I used to tow my Smart car to/from my house in Spain but now the A frame is stored in mygarage there.

There is no point in trying to argue that the car is a trailer, clearly it isn't - it has it's own motive power, etc etc.

It is not just the Spanish police imposing fines on A frame users, it is happening in Germany as well.

Mike

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I live in Spain for around 4 months each year. [HI]The law in Spain has always stipulated that you cannot tow a car by any means whatever[/HI]. It has to be done by a Grau (breakdown truck). All car insurance policies in Spain include breakdown cover as a standard feature for that very reason.

I have a vested interest as I used to tow my Smart car to/from my house in Spain but now the A frame is stored in mygarage there.

There is no point in trying to argue that the car is a trailer, clearly it isn't - it has it's own motive power, etc etc.

It is not just the Spanish police imposing fines on A frame users, it is happening in Germany as well.

Mike

:Smile: surly you can tow on a UK reg vehicle and trailer :Smile:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
A frames again

Surely, if you don't want the aggravation - when in Rome
(or Spain).............?::bigsmile:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
It goes on and ON, you CAN tow a trailer, with a UK car or any other car (must carry with you the paperwork for the trailer ie weight) you CANNOT tow a car at all, by rope, A frame or any other frame.

Laws are NOT the same in every country in Europe, GPS France comes to mind, I do understand that some people don't like it, BUT IT IS THE LAW IN SPAIN!!! end of.:Doh:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
A frames again...

It goes on and ON, you CAN tow a trailer, with a UK car or any other car (must carry with you the paperwork for the trailer ie weight) you CANNOT tow a car at all, by rope, A frame or any other frame.

Laws are NOT the same in every country in Europe, GPS France comes to mind, I do understand that some people don't like it, BUT IT IS THE LAW IN SPAIN!!! end of.:Doh:

Oooh - Mr Grumpy:ROFLMAO: Just some friendly chat::bigsmile:

But I was at the same campsite, and I did also wonder how these UK folk we
still towing on an A frame.
Dont get me wrong, I am in total agreement with yourself, the law is the law, in the respective country I'm afraid, if you agree with it or not :hardhat:

S, from a sunny spain :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ok one last chance to understand

No one disputes the Law in Spain is the law in Spain--- NO TOWING OF MOTOR CARS:thumb:
Excepted, your correct, its a done deal, I understand

BUT

When I BOLT on, Not clip on, Not tie on, an A frame to a Car, I am according to UK law converting my car to a trailer, not towing a car but converting acar The UK Law says so and as we all seem to except the Law is the Law.
Dont belive me
1. check out the DVLA and The Dept for Transports web sites, its there for all to see
2. try driving your "Car" with the A frame still Bolted on it, Plod will then confirm its a trailer too:thumb:
Or at least confirm it no longer conforms to the construction and use regs for a "Motor Vehicle" (Car)

So, except that argument and you will soon see that the only EU law Breaker is Spain, by virtue preventing the free passage of a member states road legal vehicle to pass unhindered as agreed by Spain and the rest of the EU via the Geneva agreement
I am not asking or expecting Spain to change its Law on Towing, Because in the excepted sense of the word I am not Towing any differently to a trailer or caravan that use Bolted On A Frames

They have chosen to apply laws designed, to control, often very unsafe break down recovery practices by individuals, to a perfectly legitimate leisure industry practice of safe purpose built Conversion equipment
We aint Towing remember that:Angry:
G

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Oooh - Mr Grumpy:ROFLMAO: Just some friendly chat::bigsmile:

But I was at the same campsite, and I did also wonder how these UK folk we
still towing on an A frame.
Dont get me wrong, I am in total agreement with yourself, the law is the law, in the respective country I'm afraid, if you agree with it or not :hardhat:

S, from a sunny spain :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Sorry..Didn't mean to be Mr Grumpy, but boy has this been done to death on here.

Some people say that if they bolt the "CAR" on it is OK in UK law, Yup! they could be right, but when they enter Spain, it aint alright, just like when you are in UK you don't need to carry a breath test kit, but you will have to in France, just like when you enter France you cannot have speed camera alert on your Gps, it is no good sayin (in France) well mr policeman its OK in the UK so it OK in France, it wont work, why, because it is the law in France.

In the UK you dont have to carry your driving documents, or (if you wear glasses) you dont have to carry a spare pair, in Spain you have to, and on and on, different countries different laws.

Well in Spain, Spanish law, dare I say, is Spanish law, you dont have to agree with the law, any country you want to visit you will know the laws of that country, dont like them, well dont come. Simples.

I will now go and sit in the sun and resist the urge to follow the thread, cos it is in a circle:hardhat:

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
In Spain 'Gruas' (breakdown vehicles) are also very active removing illegally parked cars to police compounds - no clamping - you get back to your parked car to find just a sticker on the kerb................they are probably more active 'helping' the police than attending breakdowns............

If A frames are not allowed in a particular country either don't take your toad or put it on a trailer......................

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There ya go again Muddy the water why dont ya:Doh:
Im not talking about Spains Laws im taliking about vehicle recognition ie what is deemed what and what its used for
and the agreement signed up to by Spain to recognise all member states vehicles for what they are recognised as in its home state, this is to prevent stupid laws that might say for

Example

Spain can not pass a law saying all vehicles must be L/H Drive R/H Drive has to be excepted

Spain can not pass a law that all trailers must have 4 wheels two wheels have to be excepted

Spain can not pass a law that says what is and is not a trailer in the UK
Only the UK can do that, and Spain signed up to except that the use of a vehicle shall be excepted provide that use is legal in its home state--- end of
What has any of the above to do with Spanish Law:Doh:
I want to pull my legal UK recognised trailer in Spain

If your statements are correct explain why I don't need separate registration plates for my Bryan James trailer when Spain's Law says I do according to you:Doh:
Its a simple fact, Spain is applying its own recovery laws to prevent the legitimate use of my trailer, just because it dont look like a spanish trailer
They Cant Do That ----------------- simples

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
There ya go again Muddy the water why dont ya:Doh:
Im not talking about Spains Laws im taliking about vehicle recognition ie what is deemed what and what its used for
and the agreement signed up to by Spain to recognise all member states vehicles for what they are recognised as in its home state, this is to prevent stupid laws that might say for

Example

Spain can not pass a law saying all vehicles must be L/H Drive R/H Drive has to be excepted

Spain can not pass a law that all trailers must have 4 wheels two wheels have to be excepted

Spain can not pass a law that says what is and is not a trailer in the UK
Only the UK can do that, and Spain signed up to except that the use of a vehicle shall be excepted provide that use is legal in its home state--- end of
What has any of the above to do with Spanish Law:Doh:
I want to pull my legal UK recognised trailer in Spain

If your statements are correct explain why I don't need separate registration plates for my Bryan James trailer when Spain's Law says I do according to you:Doh:
Its a simple fact, Spain is applying its own recovery laws to prevent the legitimate use of my trailer, just because it dont look like a spanish trailer
They Cant Do That ----------------- simples

Im back again:Smile:

Trailer, over 750KG does need to be tested (if Spanish) if not Spanish you must carry the papers for the trailer in your car.

The rest of the comment shows me that you just dont know Spain and what they can do and what they dont do:Smile:

They cannot charge you an import duty on your car when you bring it into Spain from the UK to register it here.......OH! yes they can, is it against EU regs....OH yes it is!....do they care ......OH no they dont!....can you do anything about it....OH no you carnt!!

Its Spain, dont like....Dont come, Simples!!

Now I really must get back to the sun, I only came in for a coffee:ROFLMAO:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Can we ban the use of "end of"

At least 2 people in the thread have used it as a method of saying........its the end of the discussion...I'm right your wrong no discussion.......

I think it reeks of arogance and a closed mind..............let the disussion continue..I for one love A frame threads.

But please can we see the end of ....."end of"

let the banter continue :)

barry:Smile:..............end of

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Can we ban the use of "end of"

At least 2 people in the thread have used it as a method of saying........its the end of the discussion...I'm right your wrong no discussion.......

I think it reeks of arogance and a closed mind..............let the disussion continue..I for one love A frame threads.

But please can we see the end of ....."end of"

let the banter continue :)

barry:Smile:..............end of

Oh! alright then....orf we go agin :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now, are we talking A Frames, anybody got any questions? :RollEyes::Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The price you are willing to pay for a bit of sunshine astounds me:RollEyes:
As a matter of fact I do now refuse to spend my dosh in their over rated dusty wilderness
The sun is quite large and appears elsware on the planet
I do still like the over rated over priced over concreted package destinations though::bigsmile:
This post is not intended for and should not be read by easily offended persons end of:thumb:
ps I only use it when i see it used cos it bugs me too end of
Geo
pps Enjoy your time in Spain I intend to have the country closed and demolished at my earliest convenience, unless of course they start playing the team EU game and let me pass as both my Eu rulers and HM Queeny demands, without Let or Hindrance
We might even consider going to war with Spain:thumb:
Again as they dont seem to learn do they
G

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Its Simple if you don't like Spanish law, write to Europe union quote euro rights, lastley if you don't like the laws `` Don't go´´ you cant have both sides of the coin,: simple as that :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Can we ban the use of " Simple as that"
Nothing is every as " Simple as that":Doh:
See I can't even spell ever

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.....let the disussion continue..I for one love A frame threads.

There doesn't seem a whole lot to discuss. You take an a-frame you stand a good chance of being booked.

If you are seriously rich you could take on the Spanish government and pay Spanish solicitors many times what their police took off you, but I don't know anyone in here that rich and that daft.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The price you are willing to pay for a bit of sunshine astounds me:RollEyes:

The sun is quite large and appears elsware on the planet
G

In practical MH terms you are wrong. Spain has a monopoly of cheap winter sun for us Brits.

Yes it's a dust bowl of a place but there aren't half some stunning sights to be seen both natural features and especially the Arab architecture. And historical features, we shaped modern western Spain. We shaped ancient western Spain too.

They let us in so we play by their rules. Seems fair.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
In practical MH terms you are wrong. Spain has a monopoly of cheap winter sun for us Brits.

Yes it's a dust bowl of a place but there aren't half some stunning sights to be seen both natural features and especially the Arab architecture. And historical features, we shaped modern western Spain. We shaped ancient western Spain too.

They let us in so we play by their rules. Seems fair.

I agree.......but you have to admit that this is a good example of EU rules not being applied across the board.

What amazes me is peoples inability to step back and see that the law should not be there to halt progress and that law makers should be helping mankind rather than hindering it . ( Not that we see too many examples of that in the EU )

We have so many comments on " its the law ..So live with it " as opposed to saying that "A frames are a brilliant idea....a much safer option ( if done right )
what do we have to do to make them totally legal everywhere ?"

Forget the law for a minute..........does anyone thing A frames are a daft idea?

barry

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i see once again the one sided claptrap you go to spain abide by their laws fine i dont have a problem with that.

come to our country do the bloody same oh but our law enforcers are too busy sitting in lay by's and street ends waiting for someone with 2 identity plates on to come down the road 3 mph too fast.

i presume our border controls are largely staffed by non british too.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Forget the law for a minute..........does anyone thing A frames are a daft idea?

barry

I think "A" frames are a great idea.
My MH can only tow 1 tonne so adding trailer weight to car weight can soon limit your options. :Sad:

For that reason I take my motorbike in an enclosed trailer. :thumb:

Oh, by the way, I don't have an "A" frame. My Land Rover is far too heavy. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back