Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
:HelloThere: & :pink:

We have been towing with an a-frame in the UK for many years but don't take it abroad because of the likly possibility of being stopped.

Our current toad, a peugeot 108 with electronic braking, was supplied and fitted by Towbars2Towcars ... I previously used to tow with a Car-a-Tow overrun braked a-frame.

You will find many on here who decry the use of a-frames ... most of who have never tried it!
ME TOO, TOWBARS2TOWCARS ELECTRONIC, GREAT IN PRACTICE, DONT KNOW THE CAR IS THERE SO HAVE A CAMERA TO MAKE SURE ITS STILL WITH ME!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well I give up..... Our Motorhome will be in the classifieds soon because without the luxury of a car when we are away it's of no use to us. We have tried without a car and it just does not work.
Not being able to use an a-frame doesn't mean giving up towing a car, just that it would need to go on a trailer.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm with @Minxy Girl here... trailer is easy enough. We've used one home and abroad. Never had an issue.
20161127_091415.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I would not sell my camper because I could not A frame. For some peaple a car on a trailer is a hassle to store or overweight for towing etc. It's more expensive on the ferrys. So why not just hire a car when you get to where your going. That way you have no expense of mot, tax, insurance, serviceing etc.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Just looked at hiring an Economy class car (Polo) from Cherbourg (it's just up road from where we are at present)
Would be over £2 grand from today until mid March when we leave France and that was just a quick look didn't add any bits & bobs, just two drivers!
We paid £440 for the Frequent Traveller scheme and have the van settled for a 2 1/2 month stay & our car-A frame-to run around in & are doing the same thing later in the year!
For us hiring a car is out of the question.
:)
If we went anywhere apart from France we would either not take the car or I would drive it, i.e. Portugal!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would not sell my camper because I could not A frame. For some peaple a car on a trailer is a hassle to store or overweight for towing etc. It's more expensive on the ferrys. So why not just hire a car when you get to where your going. That way you have no expense of mot, tax, insurance, serviceing etc.

On paper, a good Idea, but however in the real world, getting a hire just when you need it is not always possible. eg; how do you get to the hire place (assuming they will not deliver?). and IF public transport is available would you need one?. Try hiring in Spain over Easter? (Santa Semana?) deep pockets!!. (if available).

I initially did just that in the USA, but after the first season, I bought a Toyota Pick-up (now the possession of my Grandson!!.) and "A" Farmed it! ("A" frame Warning!!). If like most "retired" M`homers there are only 2 persons and the odd canine, then the ubiquitous Smart and a Light Trailer, IMV is the only answer, Low insurance, (old guy no claims or convictions) and Zero Tax, just an MOT annually?. On site storage is the "fly in the ointment", But then a Friend at La-Manga , one season had the trailer boarded and put his Gazebo on it!, and the BBQ. Party on dudes!!.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

All this has been covered before but for the benifit of this thread I will explain Again..

Hiring is fine IF you can find a car to hire . Example Isle De Ray.... No chance I'm afraid. Plus it's a load of hassle which frankly I for one just don't want when I'm away. I have enough to deal with with a disabled person.

Tax on our IQ is Zero. Insurance 110 quid a year and the car gets used every day as my runaround. The IQ replaced my old runaround so we have No additional servicing costs in fact they are less. The car actually costs far less as a total package to run. Hiring a car can be expensive when one requires one All of the time when we are away. A month in France is going to work out very expensive surely ?

Storing and using a trailer for us is a non starter as I've explained before and partially for the reasons you have set out above.

We have and intend or should I say intended to use our MH almost exclusively in Europe mostly in France. We actually have no interest or intentions of using it here in the U.K.

Our needs dictate we need a wee car. It for us is not a luxury it's a need . It's not like we can use bikes or hoof it it's just not possible. So if the factors have changed then sadly we will have to throw in the towel and give in........

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
All this has been covered before but for the benifit of this thread I will explain Again..

Hiring is fine IF you can find a car to hire . Example Isle De Ray.... No chance I'm afraid. Plus it's a load of hassle which frankly I for one just don't want when I'm away. I have enough to deal with with a disabled person.

Tax on our IQ is Zero. Insurance 110 quid a year and the car gets used every day as my runaround. The IQ replaced my old runaround so we have No additional servicing costs in fact they are less. The car actually costs far less as a total package to run. Hiring a car can be expensive when one requires one All of the time when we are away. A month in France is going to work out very expensive surely ?

Storing and using a trailer for us is a non starter as I've explained before and partially for the reasons you have set out above.

We have and intend or should I say intended to use our MH almost exclusively in Europe mostly in France. We actually have no interest or intentions of using it here in the U.K.

Our needs dictate we need a wee car. It for us is not a luxury it's a need . It's not like we can use bikes or hoof it it's just not possible. So if the factors have changed then sadly we will have to throw in the towel and give in........

"Rock and a Hard Place" Charlie. I too have Mobility considerations to take to account, we even tried going back to a car/caravan, but they are impossible to find one where sufficient seating comfort is concerned! except to rip out the Lounge and Fit Chairs!!. So we make best use of the swivel Captains chairs in the M-H.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
....So if the factors have changed then sadly we will have to throw in the towel and give in........
Often in life things change which prevent us continuing in one direction and it's how we cope with the 'detour' that sometimes defines us.

It will be sad if you do end up being prevented from a lifestyle which you so obviously enjoy, but if it does come to fruition, there will hopefully other opportunities for you to be able to holiday in some of the same areas, as in your van.
It may mean, from the proceeds of selling up, buying a large estate car and roof box to enable you maximise carrying your belongings, then drive to hotels, Gîtes, lodges, campsites which have cabins, or other fixed accommodation.

Ok, this may not be your preferred option, but it could be an alternative to keep your holidays going.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Often in life things change which prevent us continuing in one direction and it's how we cope with the 'detour' that sometimes defines us.

It will be sad if you do end up being prevented from a lifestyle which you so obviously enjoy, but if it does come to fruition, there will hopefully other opportunities for you to be able to holiday in some of the same areas, as in your van.
It may mean, from the proceeds of selling up, buying a large estate car and roof box to enable you maximise carrying your belongings, then drive to hotels, Gîtes, lodges, campsites which have cabins, or other fixed accommodation.

Ok, this may not be your preferred option, but it could be an alternative to keep your holidays going.

We have over the last two years invested quite a large sum of money and time into getting things in place. Adapting if you like. This includes getting the often variable like the bed just right. Such a simple thing yes absolutely but for anyone who suffers terribly with pain as my wife does ( On top of a spinal injury she suffers from Chronic Pain Syndrome ) this simple element is so vitally important. There are of course lots and lots of other variables that have had to be sorted and far to long to list here but Im sure you understand .

We actually have a large estate car in the form of a Toyota Rav 4 but I have no intention of going that route. We have in our MH everything set up as above and of course an on board loo and all the other comforts. When travelling I have to stop very often so my wife can get out of the seat and move around. Not doing this causes huge discomfort over and above what she already has to endure. In short its set up with much thought and time to get where we are now.

But your right things change. Time to sell up and move on. I dont mind winging it and couldn't care a monkeys about the odd fine here and there but it seems the dice is being loaded against us more and more.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Why do people say there is nowhere to put a trailer on sites? It's no different to a car and caravan and before you say it's the m/home, car and trailer, why not just park the car on the trailer? If there was a shortage of space that's what I would do.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I have never had a problem in France with my a-frame, and seen lots of policemen, and they have seen me, i think the french don't really care. or maybe it's because i have a large disabled sticker on the back window of my car?.

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We tow a trailer and a bike every winter with no problems . I would certainly use a trailer before throwing my toys out of the pram.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We tow a trailer and a bike every winter with no problems . I would certainly use a trailer before throwing my toys out of the pram.

Is that how you see it ! Throwing toys out of the pram ?

I have explained several time in these A frame debates why a trailer will not work for us.

Perhaps you would care to consider before posting such comments. Thankfully for you it seems you do not have the constraints to work within we do.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well I give up..... Our Motorhome will be in the classifieds soon because without the luxury of a car when we are away it's of no use to us. We have tried without a car and it just does not work.

Car and caravan??? BUSBY:):):)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have never had a problem in France with my a-frame, and seen lots of policemen, and they have seen me, i think the french don't really care.

Your opinion is valid and one I shared. But it seems the goalposts have been moved.

There are the usual A frame haters here and if the info had come from one of those I would have taken no notice. Eddie is certainly Not one of those and indeed is a fella who is inside the industry so to speak. That I do take notice of.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Your opinion is valid and one I shared. But it seems the goalposts have been moved.

There are the usual A frame haters here and if the info had come from one of those I would have taken no notice. Eddie is certainly Not one of those and indeed is a fella who is inside the industry so to speak. That I do take notice of.
I was in Twin lakes last September as were lots of other Funsters, at least four Funsters were towing on a-frames, and others who were not with the Funsters, I asked Gary who owns Twin lakes about the situation, He said he gets a-framers on there all year round.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
This is not a dig at car trailers i also have a Brenderup single wheel car trailer and have got a small mover that goes on the draw bar, but i still prefer the a-frame

31P8QYOlkQL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hope you get sorted @Charlie I think the writing has been on the wall for quite some time and @eddievanbitz has more or less confirmed it, I'm only glad that we opted for a trailer but we have room at home to store it and choose site that have large enough pitches. I don't think people realise the complications a trailer can involve we would have definitely gone down the A frame road had the laws been clearer but they are not as usual so it was Hobson's choice for us.
Good luck with your changes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hope you get sorted @Charlie I think the writing has been on the wall for quite some time and @eddievanbitz has more or less confirmed
In the past I have used a similar a-frame arrangement for an old car which we used to take to shows etc so have used this sort of thing and a car transporter too so am not ignorant on the pros and cons of both ways of towing.

I and others have been saying for a while about the use of a-frames abroad getting more and more questionable, even providing direct official information for some of the countries in question ... but all that happened is those who wanted to use them called us 'haters' so they felt justified in ignoring us/did not take heed of what we said and still bought them/used them, or insisted that the paperwork the seller provided would protect them from the laws in each country.

If a-frame users want to continue to use them, especially if it will cause considerable problems NOT to do so, why react now? IMV they can still do so and simply accept the 'risk' ... if they don't get fined that's great, but if they do deal with it at that time and THEN reconsider the use of an a-frame afterwards.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Is that how you see it ! Throwing toys out of the pram ?

I have explained several time in these A frame debates why a trailer will not work for us.

Perhaps you would care to consider before posting such comments. Thankfully for you it seems you do not have the constraints to work within we do.
@Charlie Certainly did not mean to offend . Was tongue in cheek not to give up so easily when you have invested time and money on your set up . I have read through your posts but could not see where you said why a trailer would not work for you but I am sure you know better than me . We looked at an a frame at A motorhome show here in France and asked the French seller if it was now legal and we got the Gallic shrug so guess it is luck which gendarme stops you. Good luck with whatever u decide .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back