Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
Hi there.

We've bought a Fiat Seicento to use as a toad. We really cannot decide whether to go down the A frame or trailer route.

Fors and against:

Trailer:
We have the room at home to store the toad and trailer. We realise that a toad and trailer will take up more space at a campsite but as the RV is nigh on 36 ft long, I am presuming that the car would be parked along side so there would be plenty of room for the trailer?
Less wear and tear on the toad.
Added weight of the trailer.
Probably less problems with 'the law' if we travel abroad.
Cost of a new trailer about £1300.00 but we may find a second hand one.
We both have HGV licences, so weight shouldn't be a problem. (My HGV is due for renewal, so keep your fingers crossed that I pass my medical.:winky:)

A frame:
No need to store a trailer.
Less space needed at a campsite.
Possible problems when selling the toad as the bumper will probably have to be cut for the A frame.
More wear and tear on the toad.
If we wish to change the toad there will be the cost of removing the A frame bar and fitting it to the new toad.
Probably less manoeuvring problems on site.
Cost approx. £1000.00

We would really like to hear for you opinions because this will be a one off purchase and we have to get it right, plus we need to make our decision by the end of the month as we're off to Cornwall 3 weeks later.

Cheers
Toni

Benwick Rambler

Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi Bugsy,

I went through this process last year and opted for a trailer Link Removed intead of an A frame. I know that A frames are popular but as I travel on my own, a trailer seemed the better option as it can be easily moved to hitch-up and can be reversed, if needed. Also, trailer has a re-sale value and doesn't require toad to be modified. In the end, it's down to personal preference. For me, I think I made the right choice as I can be loaded and away in about 10 mins.

Brian

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi bugsy

brian's right. in the end, down to your choice. i'm an a-framer, and will be until forced to make a change. so much less hassle. your pros and cons are about right. we all have to come off this fence on one side or the other.

good luck

des

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's not an easily made choice. Both have pros and cons. After swinging one way or the other for months I eventually went for an A frame but not a clear choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back