LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Having my Aframe fitted to Paula Panda tomorrow. Any one have any advice on how to tow? is there anything I need to know? Is there anything I should look out for when done? Nikki is convinced it will come off and drive itself away,,,,,:Doh:

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi mate you will be fine you just drive and the car will follow you , you wont even know its on the back :thumb:

Ash :thumb:

p.s PAULA PANDA :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I keep rear view camera on. Very limited reversing, just a few yards in a straight line generally.
If you have a short rear overhang on mhome on tight corners beware toad may turn tighter than mhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Always double check its out of gear and the handbrake is off,may sound obvious but have seen many with burnt out brakes through leaving handbrake on,you instinctivly put it on without knowing.
I always fit toad myself,without help,that way you get into a routine and never forget somthing.

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Paul, I had a jockey wheel fitted to my A Frame. When I couple up to the motorhome I wind the jockey wheel down and you can then see that it is firmly attached. Then retract the jockey wheel fully:Smile: You should get the pnuematic tyre, not the solid rubber, It makes for easy coupling to the M/H and gives you greater mobility moving the toad around the campsite if needed. Have a spare ignition key cut (if it does not start the engine so much better) after disconnecting the steering lock leave the key in the ignition and lock the toad for security with your normal car keys, fold in the wing mirrors if you can.
I do find a reversing camera is a tremendous help in seeing how the toad is handling.

Ian

Feb 11, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bought first motorhome 30 yrs ago
We to want a toad but was on a spanish motorhome site last week and read that private motorists in Spain are now banned from towing cars can anyone confirm this? or does this just relate to Spanish nationals i am trying to decide if a A frame is the way to go or to go for a trailer so much more trouble on site other than that do we just unhook at the spanish border and drive the car can someone help please?:Sad:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have been using a A-frame for nearly a year now with no problems.

I agree with the others it’s well worth fitting a jockey wheel and we also have a camera that is on all of the time so we can keep an eye on the car.

We bought the A-frame bag on line its great for keeping the A-frame and pins etc together

Paul & Lynne

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
You take your chances. I have been to Spain/Portugal three times with my toad. Been passed and have passed several police and not stopped. I will continue to take the toad and, if I am told to unhitch, will do so and my wife will drive the car. Because we are there for three months we find it is an invaluable assett to go sight seeing, shopping, taking the dog for a walk etc

Ian

mike/jen

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
Powys
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
7 years
Be very careful using an A frame abroad, laws are getting tougher. It would be better to have a trailer and make sure its Eur spec.
If a country stipulates new driving laws, then you must abide by these laws,or you will receive fixed fines and possible points depending on the offence, this also includes speeding cameras.These will follow you to where the vehicle is registered, it does not matter what country it is, they do have the power now to fine under eu rules..

Mike

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you should look out for...

Having my Aframe fitted to Paula Panda tomorrow. Any one have any advice on how to tow? is there anything I need to know? Is there anything I should look out for when done? Nikki is convinced it will come off and drive itself away,,,,,:Doh:

Do not use it in France, it is illegal as it is not a trailer and you will get fined if you tow a car on an A frame unless it has full operating brakes that are activated from the tow vehicle i.e. when you press the pedal it actives the trailer (towed car breaks). Being a retired lawyer I have written articles on this in the MMM in the past. The law in the UK is hazy and is just ready for a test case to come along. My Wilkinson Road Traffic Offences (2 volumes) has massive coverage on what a trail is and is not...I will not bore you. But it is an issue belive me. Construction and Use.. trailers applies to towed A frame vehicles.

If you want to tow a car in France put it on a trailer. In the UK you do so at a risk.

Bob

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Do not use it in France, it is illegal as it is not a trailer and you will get fined if you tow a car on an A frame unless it has full operating brakes that are activated from the tow vehicle i.e. when you press the pedal it actives the trailer (towed car breaks). Being a retired lawyer I have written articles on this in the MMM in the past. The law in the UK is hazy and is just ready for a test case to come along. My Wilkinson Road Traffic Offences (2 volumes) has massive coverage on what a trail is and is not...I will not bore you. But it is an issue belive me. Construction and Use.. trailers applies to towed A frame vehicles.

If you want to tow a car in France put it on a trailer. In the UK you do so at a risk.

Bob

but it does have fully operational brakes that are activated from the tow car?

anyhow wasn't planning on using in France anyway but many have and do with no problem.
I don't think there is a member of this site or any other forum that is not aware of the complexities of using an aframe. Also whilst we on the subject, tow bars to tow cars, claim there's is actually legal in all advertising, no loop holes plain and simply legal. Would you be able to explain why for me? They claim to of actually tested cases in all EU countries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back