"A" Frame advice (No Legal Issues Please) LoL

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Braunston, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

We have had the "A" frame fitted at long last to our Panda and its working well,

I seem to remember in one of the threads that someone suggested that it was a good idea to fit a Wind-down Jockey wheel, which would allow you to move the vehicle a short distance in an emergency without the need to completely remove the "A" frame.

If i have this information correct can anyone suggest the best type of Jockey Wheel etc. to buy for that purpose as from my untrained eye the pneumatic tyre type look the more suitable, but i would appreciate your advice

Thanks

Braunston

2. david price

david price Read Only Funster

HI,you will need one suitable for weight you are going to put on it.
    They have different load capabilites so get one with slightly more swl than you need.
    Dave

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

A jockey wheel will add need removing if you want to store the A frame in the car boot ..

As an alternative, use a rubber bungy, pull up the A frame and hook bungy onto back edge of bonnet.. or the grill

Jim

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Mmmm difficult one the car is sat on its own wheels, so what does an "a" frame weigh and how much of that weight would actually be on the jockey wheel....................:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Sorry David couldn't resist that one.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  5. des

des Read Only Funster

hi braunston

wildman is right - no weight issues. i had a jockey wheel on my chris cox a-frame. chris welded a bracket on to the a-frame, and supplied me with a solid tyre wheel. worked fine, but made a horrendous noise on gravel. would recommend pneumatic. i was always worried about damage from a cord attached to the bonnet, but lots of people get that to work just fine. i found, with the j-w that i could wind the front of the a-frame up so i could just see it, to position it over the ball, for the easiest possible fixing (other than the blue ox i use now).

good luck

des

6. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I use one all the time with pneumatic tyre.

Allows me to handle it on its own and if i run into trouble and cant reverse drive the car straight away after uncoupling.

Brilliant IMHO

Sorry about the dirty car, not yet fitted dirt skirt I have had for a year and taking new short cut from Wales:RollEyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  7. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Why waste money and payload on a jockey wheel.
    I have a length of rope with a hook on it and the other end is fixed inside the engine compartment.

With the hook on the end of the a-frame, the rope length is adjusted so the coupling is at just the right height to drive forward until the coupling is over the ball. Then just a matter of unhooking and dropping the coupling down on to the ball. This allows you to drive short distances provided the road is not so bumpy that the hook comes out and the coupling falls down on to the road.

The A frame can also be hinged right up so it is against the bumper and the rope used to hold it firmly in place so you can drive longer distances.

8. Road Runner

I love wasting money:Doh::RollEyes:

Mine cost £25 extra at Chris Cox although i did upgrade the jockey wheel (not necessary though)

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The car-a-tow A frame already has the bracket for the jockey wheel as a standard fitting. There is very little weight on the jockey wheel so I just bought the cheapest (£13 from Towsure):Smile:

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

mine fits straight in the boot of the corsa with the jockey still attached....:thumb:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

so does mine but how far are you gonna drive with the wheel on the ground ? :Rofl1:

12. Road Runner

Wont be as noisy with pneumatic jockey wheel:Wink::Smile:

13. Motomuz

Motomuz Read Only Funster

Weve got a Bungee on our Towtal A frame

Bungees the Handle to the Top of the bonnet on our Seicento

Works fine and is especially good in Quick time disconnections like when the SatNav takes you up Snowdon and you need to do a quick U turn in a road!!!

See pic

Motomuz

14. 45eEver

45eEver Read Only Funster

How do you fancy just adding a castor wheel underneath your A -Frame Braunston?

Keeps the frame more compact.

Swivel jockey wheels also make A-Frames more handleable.

Either makes the frame easier to fit.