A few (possibly daft) questions about awnings

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by bellabee, Sep 6, 2010.

1. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Hi. We eventually took the plunge and go ourselves a Buerstner t660. Just spent a weekend away in it and its fab! As we've got 2 dogs, we're thinking of getting a stand-alone awning for muddy days but, being green as grass, know nothing about them. So here are the daft questions.
    1. We have a 6.5m Omnistor awning. Does the stand-alone awning have to be the same length?
    2. How does the stand-alone awning actually fit onto the MH? Is there a strip or something?
    3. How easy/difficult is it to fit on?
    4. Are all awnings the same height floor to ceiling, or do you have to get one specific to the height of your MH?
    I note that a lot of people seem to buy these awnings and then not use them. Is this because the advantages are not worth the hassle of putting them up?

Many thanks for any info/views
    Bella

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Bella, An awning sounds quite good for what you state.

I bought one but have only used it a few times because being a lone traveller

a) I find it very heavy to lift in and out of the van
    b) I struggle to attach it to the van with the strip BUT very easy to put up and so I leave it standing alone (literally) placed right next to the van.
    c) I am glad I got it.... and once I can get to go away for more than a few days at a time, it will be brilliant for storage, or an extra bedroom for my daughter and friends, or an outside dining room.

Check out the shows as they sell them cheaper on the last day sometimes.:thumb:

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

The last bit of your post is true...but thats only my opinion.
    To much hastle putting them up...they never fit right...take to much room up in the van when not in use.
    They are OK if you have a very small MH and absolutly must have somewhere to sit,but with a normal sized MH they are more trouble than they are worth...Thats why you see so many for sale secondhand,used once.:Wink:

4. acting_strange

acting_strange

And some funsters have been selling them cheap lately:thumb::thumb::thumb:

5. movan

movan Funster Life Member

So probably the best thing to do is try a few holidays away WITHOUT one before deciding if you need the extra space in your motorhome.:BigGrin:

6. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

if you buy the standalone tenty material ones they are quite good, are not heavy and can if need be , be put up by one person although its quicker with two.
    Check out the movilite XL and riversway 300 both are 3m x3m with a tunnel type atachment that you can use to attach to the van or leave it rolled up, they are also quick to dry out being tenty material

http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_123710.html

http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_888952.html

and a frame type one
    http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_133713.html

7. keith

keith Funster

Ours is a metal frame so heavy to carry be should withstand high winds, we had a force 8 last time we put it up. :Eeek: it survived. :thumb:

Attached Files:

8. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

It largely depends on the type of motorhomer you turn out to be.

We travel with 2 poodles and although an awning would at times be a godsend we are never in one place normally more than 1 night at the most 2 nights and the thought (and I have done it when caravanning) of putting up an awning is the furthest from my thoughts.

Would agree try a few trips out without and then decide, it's silly to buy one and it become a classified add item.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

9. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Thank you all for your useful replies. All food for thought. Think I'll nip down to the local camping shop and have a look at some.
    Bella

10. MIN663

MIN663 Read Only Funster

Hi,
    As Chatter posted try the movilite XL. We bought one and have used it a few times so far (really good) as well as attaching via a figure 8 strip the top of the tunnel bit has 2 removalable straps that can be throne over the motorhome roof and pegged out the other side of motorhome. I have heard reports that these can flap on the roof if the wind gets up though.
    Bought ours from ebay for a lot less than camping shop prices. As previous posts a lot of people buy them dont use and sell them on cheap.
    Cheers Min:thumb:

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

1. No.
    2. You buy a fixing kit, usually sold as Fiama, it uses a groove in the base of your omnistor.
    3. First time difficult, second time much easier, third time, well that will be in December.
    4. Usually 2 heights, you need the tall ones.

You more than double the size of your living space so as long as you are staying a few days they are good.