A&E 8500 Awning Help!!!

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by Geo, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

What im needing is advise or information regarding replacing the safty lock/lever in the right hand end plate on the RV awning.
    Linda at Stateside Tuning is on stand by and has supplied Operating instructions in a down load to me, however what would be better is the repair or instalation documents
    As the awning tension and operation is 100% im thinking that in the closed position (Minimum Tension) it may be possible to just remove the end plate and replace with new cpmplete unit, or if available a repair kit for what I asume is a pawl and ratchet system inside, when replaced it would only then require a minimum amount of turns 2 to 3 at most to set the load as the awning applies full tension as its wound out.
    Anyone know if im on the right track or am I in cookoo land, and its a full removal and strip down, please bear in mind im a mechanic and if I could fit brake pads by putting them in the master cylinder i would:Rofl1:
    Do any of our American cousins know the right way to do it Tom!!! where are you
    Geo

2. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

Geo

AFAIK there are no servicable parts to the ratchet/spring mechanism so a repair kit is not available......you would need to replace the whole unit :Smile:

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Get on the phone then Linda, budget 2/6d may go to 3 shillings for genuine parts:thumb:
    Geo
    ps, pp included of course
    pps do you do PX

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ok, no help so far,now pushing he budget up to a Pound:cry:
    Geo
    must include labour

5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Thats the info reqd Thanks Ror,:thumb: every RVr should get a copy of this
    Geo

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

Ive been an engineer for more years than I care to admit but I have never in all of my life come across such an abysmal design as the A&E awning system.

Whoever did design it must of been on something. You take your life in your hands when you open and close the thing and the operating manual is so poor that its useless

Oh well getting near the end of the day and havent had a moan about anything. This was as good as any.:shout:

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

well i certainly will be doing when I attempt a repair in situ, thanks to Rory's and Linda's diagrams Im in with half a chance, any one got a large drive with pool at the side, then when im thrown over the roof I may just go for a splash instead of a splat:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo

10. madbluemad

madbluemad

Good for you Geo, mind your fingers

Jim