A different microwave question

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Sarah65, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Sarah65

Sarah65 Read Only Funster

Hi all, totally new to motor homing / campervaning. I have many many questions but came across the thread for microwaves.
    Q. Can I buy any micro or does it have to be a special kind for campers?
    Thanks
    Sarah.
    Next thread off to tow bar section:BigGrin:

2. OllieUK

OllieUK Read Only Funster

Things to condsider are, the size and weight of the micro your after, also what power it will take to operate.
    Idealy you would want a microwave that will either fit into one of your overhead cupboards, or sit on top of your workspace. If it is not fitted you will need to store it when your travelling.
    Another thing to consider: if you fit it into a cupboard make sure there is room for air to flow around it, Microwaves generate heat again ideally you would try to incorporate an air vent to disperse that heat.
    Microwaves operate when you are hooked up to the main supply, at home or on site. I think the majority of motorhomes use 700 - 800 watt voltage, when you consider most you will do with your microwave is reheat food that should be good enough. :thumb:

3. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I bought a WaveBox microwave which is designed to be portable.

It's OK-ish but not very powerful.

4. Caztur

Caztur Funster

I used to carry a microwave in the van, Tesco's Value. Worked fine on EHU. Used to travel on the floor between the seats then up on to the work surface on site. Can't use it in the van I have now as nowhere to put it.

But using a microwave off grid is a different ball game - I believe 12v ones are available but don't know anything about them.

What I don't like in new caravans and motorhomes I see at shows are the microwaves in top cupboards - firstly they are heavy so surely should be as low down as possible, secondly I'd have to reach up to use them and would probably end up with piping hot food all over my head.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lorger

lorger Funster

have you tried a gas one :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1