A couple of questions about waste water

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by tucker_j, Sep 4, 2009.

1. tucker_j

tucker_j Read Only Funster

During a recent trip in our CI Riviera 171 a couple of situations arose and I wondered how others have tackled these issues.

1. We stayed on a fully serviced pitch with a fresh water supply and waste disposal. The outlet of our waste tank appears to have a threaded connection but is it possible to get a flexible hose that would attach to this, and if so where from? This would also help at sites with no MH service point.

2. We stayed on a pitch for a couple of nights and when the waste tank was full had to drive to the MH service point to empty it. I've thought about using a bucket (assuming it would fit underneath) and various tugger type waste carrier solutions esp. the Fiamma 40ltr one which appears to have a big red opening that would be easier to line up with the van's waste pipe.

Can't decide how best to deal with these, especially point 2 so would appreciate any comments, advice or experience on this.

TJ

2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

If I can't manoeuvre the MH so that the pipe is over the waste drain then I use a bucket,as the well known meerkat says "seemples"..:Rofl1: Or ( very naughty ) if you are on a gravel hardstanding then when it's dark , dump it ! It's only water after all !!!..:thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Quick Steve, hide....the PC brigade and the purists are coming your way.
    hurry, hide, hide, hide:BigGrin:

4. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I use a wastemaster and take it to the emptying point or move the MH

I wouldn't dream of dumping it in the dark:Rofl1:

5. WillH

WillH Funster

I have a wastemaster but i stays at home, takes up to much space. On site we just use a small bucket. Most days I'll fill the bucket and take it to the drain with a watering can. Empty the bucket, fill the watering can and go back to the van. Top up the FW tank and repeat as required. Takes about 15 mins. a day.

Bill

6. tucker_j

tucker_j Read Only Funster

Now that makes sense, we keep a 10ltr water carrier in the side locker for emergencies and filling up. I hadn't thought about combining the dumping and fetching tasks together :Doh:

7. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

We managed to get a fitting from B&Q to fit ours, I believe it was in the heating section, it is plastic and we attached a matching plastic hose to it. They do quite a few different size fittings so should find one to fit

8. little jack

little jack Read Only Funster

An alternative to a bucket is a water carrier - most dealers sell a black one for waste water with a large screwcap in the side so that it can be laid flat for filling, but they are a bit bulky as they hold about 20litres. I use a plastic 10litre diesel carrier as I have a flexi hose to fit the waste pipe.
    To answer your first point, I have a Bessacar which hasa threaded waste outlet, from local Swift group dealer I got a length of ribbed flexi hose, plus a connector that screws onto said waste pipe. Makes emptying at waste points much easier when drain is in a less than ideal position, as well as above.

little jack

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

What you need is a longish 1" hose.. about 8 to 10 mt .. should be ample ..

when it's dark, you creep over and place the end in your neighbours grey waste tank.. dump your grey and recover your hose .. :thumb:
    Or if parked near an RV .. place behind his back wheel and dump.. he'll think he has a leaking valve.. :Laughing:

This is called Stealth Dumping ..

Not to be confused with a Stealth SOG .. :Eeek: :Doh:

jim

10. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We now use a bucket but I'll flog you a wastemaster for £15. :Eeek:

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

I use a Fiamma 23 litre waste container, which seems to be about a days water usage for us. Its much smaller than a wastemaster type but still has the wheels. And, shhh, it has a small screw cap underneath so you can stealth dump while strolling round the camp site.

Cunning these Frenchies.

12. ennboat

ennboat Read Only Funster

Waste water.

We have one of those really expensive automatic emptying devices fitted to our van so have never had to empty it manually. It seems to know when the van is on the move and trickle it along the road, very clever, and well worth the £375.21 :Wink: It is only washing up water with a bit of tooth paste spit mixed in after all. :Smile:

As a wise man once said " It is better to be stood up than sat down when the ground is wet"

13. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi TJ Like the others I use a bucket & a hog or empty on leaving at the MH point. Pete:thumb:

14. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

So it's now OK for all of us to dump waste water anywhere we like on campsites, laybys, roads etc. I'm glad that's cleared up.

It seems that 99% of us are fed up with having our enjoyment curtailed by ever increasing regulations.

Is it any wonder that the general public despise us when there are so many motor homing slobs around.

Have any of you visited a "working man's site" where they just dump their water onto the ground? After a short time the smell is nauseating.

I just hope that people like you keep well away from me - I want to enjoy my camping - not camp is a cesspit.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hey!!!!! steady on oldun, it was posted tongue in cheek.

the post you should have quoted was the one by steve that i responded to!!!!

incidently, i empty the grey on the road while moving if i can't empty beforehand......i figure as most of the country is still using ancient, victorian sewers, with more 'leeks' than a welsh allotment, a few more gallons isn't making much difference to the environment

16. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Waste carrier

I bought a black one with the red top but the price difference are amazing. I saw one at Catterick at around £7 and bought one for £8 at Westcountry Motorhomes nr Cheddar. At Hope in the Peak Dist and here in Plymouth they retail at ---- £14 some mark up, so shop around and probably a lot cheaper at shows. A bit bulky to stow but when on siteit will be outside anyway. I use'd to use an old nappy bucket with a lid
    but found it difficult to fill.:thumb:

17. roger buckley

roger buckley Read Only Funster

water

Hi.

Our experiences have been;
    Drumaheglis caravan site N Ireland- fully serviced (most comfortable) where our waste water was simply directed down a drain hole conveniently positioned under the van via a hose provided with the hymer van

cheddar caravan park- not fully serviced , where we had to drive around to the water and grey water point every 3 days and take on and release waters.

I know which I prefer- but I'm lazy:Smile:

18. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

After spending two hours trying to fettle my stupid Vodafone Dongle that suddenly stopped working and waiting for a reboot / throw it out the window I saw this and feel cheery again now!

Hey Jim!

Your humerous distraction helped I have managed to fix the Vodafone Dongle, only taken me just over 2 hours which isnt good for an IT consultant thats been in the trade 21 years. Im off now to empty me loo over next doors garden wall.

19. JJ

JJ Funster

It was with great joy and a huge smile yesterday that I stepped out of my ancient but adored Hymer 660 parked in the middle of a "site", wandered around to the waste tank and in full daylight brazenly open the tap letting the contents spill out onto the ground. This fluid was almost instantly instantly absorbed by the parched earth (and also scared off a couple of ants.)

The "site" owner didn't mind at all! I was on Quinta Majay... my own tiny piece of Portugal.

JJ.

PS. when on other people's places or public areas I use a bucket if can't park over a suitable drain...

PPS. Maybe the waste water will drain down though the earth being filtered on the way and start filling my dry wells!!!

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Barry

glad it cheered your day up .. nothing more frustrating than a slow dongle :Eeek: :Laughing:

On a more serious note..

Many farm type sites, CLs etc actively encourage hedge row dumping .. they don't want there tanks full of grey.. costs a lot to get them emptied..

A good idea on this type of site is to pipe your grey directly to the hedge .. I use the hose that I bought for the macerater .. it's 10mt of 1" clear plastic .. doing this way it's only trickling in and disappears almost immediately ..

Unfortunately we are too far from the elsan point to use the macerater so I empty the black every four days using a Tote N Stor waste hog ..

jim