Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
A big hi to all my new friends, can't wait to meet you, roll on summer. This is me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 147

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Suki looking forward to meeting him/her

Attachments

• P1040837.jpg
    P1040837.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 37
  • P1050100.jpg
    P1050100.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 37

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
What a cute little dog, I understand that many of these cross breeds have minimal coat shedding characteristics when one of the parents is a poodle and has given rise to a plethora of similar crosses. It seems that anything that can be given a suitable name for the “breed” is fair game as in cockerpoo, jackapoo, goldypoo etc. Those who saw an opening to make easy money then began breeding other dogs that could be suitably named; one of the early ones was the labradoodle.
Being a “purist” owner of many dozens of dogs in the past who has also bred dogs on occasion I find it a little disturbing that these breeds are springing up all over the country and sell for quite large sums of money, more money in fact than the original parents could realise on the market because they are “fashionable”. A friend of mine (professional breeder and trainer of gundogs) had a litter of labradoodles, 8 pups were born and each sold for £1100, ridiculous money but the market was there.
Having worked and competed with dogs for many years I would, when contemplating the purchase of a new one, put in my “home work”, by looking at the work of the parents, listen to the opinions others, look at the pedigrees of the parents for compatibility and individual qualities, look at the work of dogs that (maybe) came from the same parents in an earlier litter to enable me to come to an informed decision and only then would I buy a dog that turned out to be a pile of s**t.
It appears to me that those who breed these “fashionable” dogs give little thought as to what will they will turn out like regarding health, size and the all important temperament, the most important being how much will they sell for and what can we name this mongrel to keep it “fashionable”, the shih tzu and the bulldog spring to mind (bullshitter).
Where will it end when these cross breeds are further crossed giving rise to (perhaps) the labradoodlecockerpoo or maybe the bullshittergoldypoo?
Most breeds of dog have been bred over many generations of selective breeding to fulfil a purpose, Labradors for retrieving game, Husky’s for their strength as draft dogs, Terriers for their courage in going to earth, Pointers and Setters for their incredible nose and hunting ability, Springer’s for their style and fiery hunting, Collies for their herding instinct, the list is long. What purpose do these modern crosses with their fancy names have, purely companion dogs I think and maybe to fill the bank accounts of those who breed them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
froghopper

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
My new friends

My name is Molly and my hobbies are traveling in the motorhome and being spoilt, no more than I deserve,,,, well now u have seen me:Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush::winky::winky::winky::thumb:w

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 23
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
For designer dog read cross breed. My first dog as a lad was a Labrador/Collie cross,it was a dog not a colliedor or labracoll,just a dog and quite a character as well. There was no need for made up names or papers. My current dogs are Shi Tzus,I have no knowledge of any cross breeding with Bulldogs-Bullshit or Jack Russell-Jack Shit,I imagine they are urban myths. Any dog,whatever their pedigree should be loved and cared for.and not be a fashion accessory.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There is a family close to me with a Labradoodle. I saw the chap out walking the dog. He told me it was cross between a Labrador and a Doodle!:ROFLMAO:

"Designer" dog breeds are just a way for lots of unscrupulous people to make money. We have a rescue Labrador from Dogs Trust. She was apparently sold to the last owner as a cross between a Labrador and a Boxer. A Boxador!
In reality, she is a proper golden Labrador with a docked tail but was very underweight, just under 20kg! She is now 38kg and looks slim According to the vets, she was probably used in a puppy farm, hence her docked tail, she was spayed just before we got her and had all the signs of a hard breeding life. Whatever they are.
But, she is a lovely dog and a good mum to our wayward Barrier, ( beagle, harrier cross) who was used as a hunting dog in Ireland and according to the animal behaviourist, was taken away from his mum far too early.

Allan

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I agree that these faddish purposely cross bred dogs are really just a money making racket for those breeding them :Eeek: i love all dogs in general, there are no bad dogs, just dreadful owners, but this current fad for breeding anything with anything else on purpose really does not bode well for the individual breeds, where hundreds of years of purposeful breeding for specific activity has been recorded. I fully understand that most of these dogs are great companions, as most dogs generally are, and its definitely not their fault - more fool the general public who will pay crazy amounts for some of the "designer crosses" :Doh:

Having said that, Froghoppers little pal looks a grand pup and I wish them all the best with her and hope to meet up with our Cleo and Nika sometime. :thumb: dogs deserve to be cherished, loved and well treated and itsgreat that Funsters have so many doglovers in our midst! :thumb::thumb:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We've got a labradoodle and he's great. We were going to get a rescue dog but our son was allergic and a friends labradoodle was ok. He was secondhand cost £200 and was a shock to the system as we haven't had a dog before He even won best in show at the all about dogs show in the scruffiest dog section. I think there are a lot of snooty dog owners who support "proper breeds" despite a lot of evidence that in-breeding can be the cause of a lot of genetic defects some of the breeds have long since moved away from their working characteristics and very few dogs are now working ones. It's a bit like chosing the best motorhome listen to everyone else and then make our own mind up just be aware you will have the dog for a lot longer.

Molly looks lovely anyone who judges her otherwise has no heart

David

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
A dog in you life is something to be thankful for:thumb: what a lovely pup

Poppy says hello
Broken Link Removed

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
As in my avatar

buddy is a cross note cross not designer

Also rescue under different conditions scuse me whilst I explain

He was taken in to be bought back to full health
By a woman in Chelmsford she had 10 small dogs
All for rehoming and her 4 dogs
She stayed up with him for 4 days and nights
And a chest clearing pump
She had been advised by a vet to put him to sleep
But she gave him a chance

The money paid for him went to assist another dog
In the same way

He had to be rehomed as he was a dog amongst bitches
Coming into season he was very interested
And that is why we now have

A cross bred sht-zu chiwauwauwa
I have no idea if was by design or accident
And we don't care
Most thnk he's a jack Russell
But he thinks he's a Rottweiler

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I think there are a lot of snooty dog owners who support "proper breeds" despite a lot of evidence that in-breeding can be the cause of a lot of genetic defects some of the breeds have long since moved away from their working characteristics and very few dogs are now working ones. It's a bit like chosing the best motorhome listen to everyone else and then make our own mind up just be aware you will have the dog for a lot longer.

Molly looks lovely anyone who judges her otherwise has no heart

David[/QUOTE]

Totally agree,a few years back I watched a documentary about Pedigree dogs that basically proved that a lot of their problems stem from the fact that their gene pool was so poor.They more or less said some dogs were more in bread than some 3 fingered and 2 toed carrot crunchers ! :Eeek:

Vlad

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't think anyone has anything against cross bred dogs. As previously stated they are often healthier than pedigree dogs and can be wonderful dogs.
The objection is to the breeders who get away with charging stupid prices for their cross breeds as if they were pedigree just by inventing a silly name.
Our last dog Sam was a a collie cross saluki and you couldn't find a better dog. Meg our present dog is a border collie on both sides but this breed is more of a job description than a fixed breed. Collies can look very different to each other but they all have the 'stare'. Try to stare one out and your eyes will water before they blink. Apparently it's an aid to controlling the sheep.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Dawn helps out at the local rescue centre by doing the rehoming of a lot of them. Needless to say we have a lot of foster dogs in our place - mostly mutts but a lot of unloved pedigree dogs. We always used to have recognised breeds of dog but now have anything we like.

Last two dogs were the sort for whom the term "mixed breed" was invented but we now have a pedigree cocker who is lovely but a bit in yer face (and officially ours), a fostered golden retriever bitch and a staffie mutt pup who is really lovely natured but very annoying like a lot of big pups. Both fostered dogs have homes now.

I've said this before but talking of designer dogs (a very unwelcome import from USA where pet shops are full of them) if you cross a labradoodle with a cockerpoo you get a.........

......... cockerpoodledoo :ROFLMAO:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
For designer dog read cross breed. My first dog as a lad was a Labrador/Collie cross,it was a dog not a colliedor or labracoll,just a dog and quite a character as well. There was no need for made up names or papers. My current dogs are Shi Tzus,I have no knowledge of any cross breeding with Bulldogs-Bullshit or Jack Russell-Jack Shit,I imagine they are urban myths. Any dog,whatever their pedigree should be loved and cared for.and not be a fashion accessory.

We've always had mongrels, I think they live longer and have less ailments when they are older, our dog Suki, is half Old English Sheepdog/Jack Russel, (we reckon the mother was laying down at the time:ROFLMAO:) but still a mongrel, and he's nearly 12

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back