A class (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is that called something like a "Grande Frontier?"

There's one that lives next to mine in the storage site.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
An attempt by Autotrail to produce a British A class, there were only 52 or 57 built, not much of a success but still around and liked by their owners. Other than that I can't help.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Looks a nice example

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Nice looking van with interior layout much the same as Hymer B544 (non dinette version). No doubt an attempt by Autotrail to reproduce one of the most popular layouts in an A Class.

Pick a good used Hymer up for that kind of money ;), but it's all down to what we personally like in the end. Good luck.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Built on a mark 1 phase II Sprinter 416 chassis which was manufactured up until 2005 so the first registration of this motorhome is two years after that. A good, workmanlike base with loads of payload. Check that it has a true 5-speed automatic gearbox rather than the 6-speed Sprintshift semi-auto which was prone to problems in some cases.
There were only about 50 Autotrail Grande Frontiers made (it was widely regarded as a failure and production soon ceased) so you would in effect be buying a prototype. The only British A-class ever built I believe and it proved to be no match for the Germans and French.
There are several references to the Grande Frontier on Fun (and other forums). Some owners have been very pleased - others have had major problems with build quality - I recall tales of one owner returning it after 8 weeeks and another after 12 weeks.
I guess one of the biggest issues would be that there cannot be a big stock of spare parts for something that was a commercial failure and therefore never got into a long-term production run (it was in production for about one year I think).
Caveat emptor would be high in my mind if considering this.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We nearly bought one a few years ago but after contacting several owners changed our minds. MANY problems came to light as soon as they were manufactured from electrics to the useless gearbox. Lovely looking van but habitation spares could be a challenge to find.
Most were sold off new and cheap for as low as £38,000 so a bargain could be had by the brave. A local dealer just offloaded an early model for £26500.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I seem to remember hearing that they were built in Italy
I suspect you are thinking of the Swift Bel-Air which was a re-badged Italian Mirage.
So far as I am aware, the Grande Frontier was made in Britain. Pity really as Auto Trail might have been better off re-badging a Euramobil A-class which is made by another subsidiary of the Trigano Group.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I thought they stopped because the chassis was changed and they would have to redesign the van to fit??
Great layout but rear storage that backs onto bathroom is strange.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back