a class windscreen keeps steaming up

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by clive jones, Jan 20, 2015.

1. clive jones

clive jones Read Only Funster

hi i own a eura mobile motorhome .it is a large screen as it is a a class. i have to have the aircon on to clear it as the blower is not strong enough to clear it.its a real pain driving in the cold with aircon on wearing coats. i changed the thermostat. any ideas ?

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Will the aircon not work whilst you have the heater turned to hot air?

Every vehicle with aircon I have ever driven does and clears the windscreen easily whilst you keep warm.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Welcome to the fun house Clive!

It might be an idea to try to reduce the amount of condensation that builds up first and then use the air-con to get rid of what's left. Is there any particular situation when it is worse? For example do you have external screens for it, do you ensure that you let moisture/steam out when cooking etc?

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

This appears to be a problem while driving....;)

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I regularly get similar, but as Jon says use your air con with heat, we do virtually all the time, it might take 1mpg, but we only get 20mpg anyway

I did have a car with a heater fault once though that occasionally seemed to pump steam at my windscreen, I was quoted so much to fix that I traded it in sharpish, hopefully yours just needs some heater control adjustment (y)

Welcome in by the way :)

6. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

You should use your air con all year round to keep the seals supple and lubricate the compressor, using it with hot air isn't a problem that how it's meant to work,
    The other big problem I see most days are people leaveing the heater on recirculated air in the beleaf that it warms up quicker,
    It may do initially but the moisture content goes up creating fogged up screens,

• Like Like x 3
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Likewise.. (y)

to de-mist you need DRY warm air..

to get that you need to use the air con (to knock out the moisture ) + heat from the heater

8. clive jones

clive jones Read Only Funster

thanks for getting back. when driving i carnt have heater on screen especially when its cold outside . before i start a journey i use a karcher hand window cleaner to suck all the condersation from the inside of the screen. i have to drive with the aircon on. things are starting to drop of me its that cold. i dont have a external cover as i have a electric front screen. the main problem is not enough blow to the screen.

9. Archer

Archer Funster

On your heater if you have a knob you can set to air circulating or fresh air coming in put it to air coming in it works in my vans hope this helps .
    Gary.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

A bit more confusion here I think, the external cover has a different function to the electric front screen nothing stopping you having both

That said I have not seen an electric front screen on an A class or any other MH for that matter

But if the screen is heated the misting up is even more confusing

and I really do not understand why you say you cant have heat on the screen when driving

11. Printermick

Printermick Funster

I had a Saab 9000 where water could get into the aircon system after the dryer and fog the inside of the screen. I think a drain had become blocked, a mechanic that knew the system fixed very quickly and the problem never returned.

12. keith

keith Funster

I'm with Garry on this one.
    It always happens to us as I switch the control to re-circulating when stopped for any length of time as there can be quite a draught coming the heating system when windy. Then, very often forget to switch it back, and it always causes the windows to mist up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Can I throw in a Thanks?

I've got this same problem with my car--has been driving me potty. Now realise it's the recycled air!

Thank you, all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

My old car used to do this. But only if someone or something was wet inside. Be it a dog or jacket etc. Or if I had jet washed it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I guess he means the screen/blind inside the windscreen which can be electric if you are posh, no substitute for good silverscreen outside though.

• Like Like x 2
  16. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Clive

Being an A class the dashboard will be modified and the screen vents will not be the original van ones, on ours there is a big plenum underneath the dashboard cover which sits onto the original van screen vents and then takes this air to the new position at the screen base, is it possible that the piping or whatever system Euro mobil use has come undone and the air is just getting lost under the dashboard rather than blowing onto the screen.

17. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

I also have a Euromobil A-Class and you have to use the extra front heater to demist the front windscreen the one on the passenger side of the dash it runs on gas . The normal engine heater does not blow onto the screen the vents at the front are adjustable. You don't have to have the heater on but just use the fan.

Joe

• Like Like x 1