A Class owners - make sure you have enough windscreen cover!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by neilmac, Feb 5, 2010.

1. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

I already knew these screens were expensive but, how much is expensive?

Eventually, my new screen has been fitted after my insurance company refused to authorise the claim. Much heated debate with their engineer resulted in a change of mind, but for a little while it was touch and go! Although they had all the information they should have required, they were using the VIN number as reference and were (stupidly) insisting it was a Fiat Ducato and the bill should have been around £250 and not the whopping £2500+ that Autoglass were claiming (long story updated today on my blog here ).

[​IMG]

My insurance policy relating to the claim was for unlimited windscreen cover, and my current policy has £3000 cover, so only just enough...... Before all this I would probably thought a couple of thousand would have covered it. :Doh:

Could have cost me dearly.

2. Dick Lane Motorhomes

Dick Lane Motorhomes Read Only Funster

Ooops! Sorry - I'm still finding my way around this site. I'll re-post and try to get it right this time ....

Co-incidentally I was told only today by a Carthago owner that he was quoted over £5,000 for a new screen for his !! I think he said £5,500 actually. And his insurance covered him for 'only' £2,500.

It makes your eyes water, doesn't it ?! :Eek!:

Stephen

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

It does pay to check with A-Classes, some insurers have a clause that limits the amount for an a-class screen, or will charge a hefty excess.

Check if you have a saab convertible too! lol! Friend has his screen done, and the price was eye watering, the windscreen trim was more than the screen, and the insurers only wanted to pay for the screen - he got it sorted eventually, but was a fight.

4. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Who are you insured with? We're with Safeguard who reckon we're covered!! :Eeek: Hope we are!!!

5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Shall I come and throw a brick through your window Marie? better to make sure a :Rofl1:

6. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Hi Marie

Just to let you know Safeguard have paid out for a new windscreen twice for our motorhome even though the windscreen should have been replaced by autoglass under their guarantee.

Safeguard had to run it pass there underwriters the first time, but they did cover it okay.
    The trouble is that its companies like Autoglass that have the monopoly and charge what they want. £2800 the first time, I saw how much it cost by accident and it was a lot less than that, but they know they can get away with it.

It was one of the main reasons we stayed this year with Safeguard.

Pat

7. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

The policy was with NIG, via brokers Coversure and cover for a windscreen was unlimited. This year we're with Aviva via Comfort and the cover is £3000.

Sounds like you're 'safe' with Safeguard :Smile:

8. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Read Only Funster

A Class Windscreen Cover

Oops:Angry:
    We had just arrived in Spain last November when a stone was flicked up from another driver into our screen. We camped at Peniscola and managed to get a "fix" like the ones advertised in UK by Autoglass by a Spanish garage in Benicarlo. It looks fine now but we shall have to get a new screen fitted when we return to UK sometime in the summer. We are insured hopefully with Comfort but from what you are saying is our cover enough!!:Eeek: