A-Class owners - how do you reach your nuts? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Wheel nuts, that is.

I have another simple job, that has turned into another PITA. :cry:

I wanted to get my wheels off to repaint prior to fitting some sexy new wheel trims. Only it turns out the wheel nuts haven't been off in an awful long time and are quite badly stuck.

Being as the wheels are quite far recessed under the van, it's really difficult to get any purchase on the wheel-wrench-bar-thing, and it hits the body work - and there's no room to apply my torque-multiplier (metal leg off the pedestal table).

Anybody got any top tips or recommended equipment for getting my nuts off??

Many thanks as always

Jamie.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Go to your local tyre fitters (not one of the Nationals) and ask them to loosen the nuts, with their air guns.

Pete:Cool:

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I carry a long breaker-bar, a heavy duty socket to fit the nuts and an extension bar that extends beyond the bodywork. To do them up again, I switch the breaker-bar for a torque wrench.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
to reach the recessed nuts properly you need a socket, an extension bar, a breaker bar and an axle stand.

place the socket, extension and bar on the nut...adjust the height and place the axle stand under the end of the extension bar.
you could use small wooden blocks instead of an axle stand.

that way you can stand and jump on the bar without risk of the socket coming off the nut.

only re-tighten the nuts with a breaker bar, or more correctly, with a torque wrench......never with a 'windy' gun (air powered impact gun) as there is little chance of getting the torque correct and over tightened nuts can be just as dangerous as under tightened ones.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Ah - the axle stand bit sounds like a good idea.

I have various socket extensions and bars, but it all feels a bit rickety when linked together - an axle stand to rest on sounds like a fine idea.

I will try that this evening.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, best use 3/4 inch or even inch sockets etc . 1/2 inch will probably break like cocktail sticks .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Got 3/4".

Axle stand did the trick - I've been able to crack them all off.

But bloody hell they go with a bang when they finally give in!! I thought either my bar had snapped, or my socket had exploded, or the bolt had rounded off, but no - the tougher ones gave an almighty bang and then gently unwound.

Thanks as ever for the timely advice Funsters ::bigsmile:

What's your views on the use of Copperslip to prevent this sort of thing happening again?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i forgot 6 sided sockets are best.
i broke a 3/4 flexy bar only the other day . it was brand new . sent it back . but shant use a flexy bar will stick with the sliding t bar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Got 3/4".

Axle stand did the trick - I've been able to crack them all off.

But bloody hell they go with a bang when they finally give in!! I thought either my bar had snapped, or my socket had exploded, or the bolt had rounded off, but no - the tougher ones gave an almighty bang and then gently unwound.

Thanks as ever for the timely advice Funsters ::bigsmile:

What's your views on the use of Copperslip to prevent this sort of thing happening again?
I use a little copperslip on the threads only...not on the nut/wheel seating face.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back