A class on UK roads? (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Hi, just wondering if you would be good enough to advise me prior to my 1st purchase? The wife & I have just sold our Harley to get a motorhome, mainly so we can holiday with the dog, but also just to have extended days out etc.
Had a look at lots, but today fell in love with a Eura Mobil Integra 810 (twin axel at back & 8.3 meters long)
We just liked the space, layout & build quality. Now the next information may make you think we're mad, but we're not the kind of people to spend endless nights on campsites. Harping back to my HGV days, we prefer truck stops, coach parks & then countyside car parks with no height restrictions.
But the concern is, will we restrict ourselves as we also want to park in car parks at places we can walk the dog. I think that will be gravelled car parks with no painted bays.
We will also have to bear in mind that there will be timeswhen we do want a night on a campsite. Will we be too big?
Thanks if you can offer any insite.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My 1st van was just 5.3 mtrs and I loved that you could squeeze in car park spaces with just a little overhang, my latest is 6.9 mtrs and you do have to think a bit in advance when parking places. Have you got somewhere to store/park when not using motorhome, sometimes this is overlooked. I couldn't get a 8 mtr van on my drive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Thank you for replying. The storage is no problem as we have half an acre front garden!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Go for it !
8.3m in not a massive MH
A class is a great way to see the world - like seeing everything through a panoramic window compared with a letterbox, which is what you get with a British Coachbuilt van or a Panel Van Converson.
Enjoy your adventure !

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Height barriers will be your main problem and will certainly restrict your access to countryside car parks
Even a smaller van, if it's taller than 2 metres will be restricted.
There are many places where you can wild camp, but these are becoming fewer every day, people expect you to stay in campsites and pay for the privelidge
You have to remember, England is a country where nobody likes you enjoying yourself unless there's a few bob in it for somebody else.
Now, France and mainland Europe is another story. Towns and villages provide exclusive motorhome parking areas and encourage motorhomers to visit and many don't expect you to get your wallet out either

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had a Eura Mobil 770 and it was fantastic. You won't regret buying a Eura.

As for space. There is a compromise to be made. Yes there will be some places that are harder or perhaps impossible to visit. However the extra space makes it much more comfortable. I have had a much bigger Optare Metrorider Bus which I converted myself. It didn't last long because it was impossible to go certain place.

The Eura I never found anywhere I couldn't go, although on occasions I had to park further away from where I wanted to be.

I now fulltime in a little panel van conversion and can go anywhere. However, I do get a little stir crazy over the winter especially if I am stuck in one place for more than a month or two in the UK.

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome.

Our van is 8.3m and yes you do have to think a bit more about where you can park but it is possible with forward planning to get roughly in the area you want - usually!

One thing we have found useful, especially in the UK, is Google earth. You can scout ahead to see if there is any likely areas to park before you go. If going to a campsite, I just ring and ask is the gate way wide enough to swing in. Even small pitches usually allow for the overhang to go over the grass but keep the wheels on the pitch.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Are you lot for real? My rv is 31' and I don't have any trouble, nor do I labour over google maps. Been turned away at two sites in 11 years, 3C's ln Southampton and a site in France. Stop worrying and just go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Treecol
Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Since posting I've been working out how many places we could park, walk the dog & then cook dinner - lots!
Ok so we're looking at the 2006 at our local dealer in Ringwood. Is £34k ok? (Sounds a lot when you say it out loud) I think peace of mind from a local dealer is worth a bit over the top on price.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
we prefer truck stops, coach parks & then countyside car parks with no height restrictions.

Truck stops are smelly.. and I do mean smelly .. the stench of stale urine would knock you down at times.. best avoided.. but you must know that.

Motorway service areas (MSAs) are ok for a break but very expensive for overnight .. most have a time limit of 3 hours

Coach parks don't generally allow camper vans,

Country parks, National Trust, etc are usually ok for day time parking, but don't allow overnight camping.

Car parks .. Height restrictions abound.. many coastal beauty spot car parks now have them

To get best out of your van go to France, Germany or Spain.. the UK is one of the most unfriendly motorhome places in Europe

The longer the van , the more it costs on ferries... ( except Chunnel, all one price) tag axel on French Autoroute is Class 3.

Also had a 36ft RV and it restricted where we could go .. many Aires were too small, some sites were impossible to get onto..

It's common sense.. the longer the van.. the more restricted you are in sites and places you can park.. so it's always going to be a compromise.. size really does matter .. otherwise we would all have 40ft RVS ..

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Since posting I've been working out how many places we could park, walk the dog & then cook dinner - lots!
Ok so we're looking at the 2006 at our local dealer in Ringwood. Is £34k ok? (Sounds a lot when you say it out loud) I think peace of mind from a local dealer is worth a bit over the top on price.
2003 model for £29,900 on eBay so sounds reasonable.

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome. Our last van was a Euramobil 810. The build quality is excellent and you won't be disappointed. As has been said, 8.3m isn't excessively long and once you're over 6m or so, there's not much difference in where you can & cannot park. I assume it's plated at 4500kg so you need to make sure your licence covers it but otherwise go for it.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, Get your self over to France it's made for Motorhoming, you woun't regret it. (y)

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Treecol and a big :welcome3:from a former long time resident of Dorset.
I see you have had many useful and informative posts already.
All I will add is over the years I have had from a tiny Fiat 900cc poptop to a 7.5 mtr van which included a scooter rack.
Anything will work as long as you are aware all the time of height or overhang or both!!
You can see many posts on here of reports of those who have been inattentive at times and the dire consequences :Eeek:
As a biker like you I think we have a heightened spatial awareness which will stand you in good stead whatever you choose.
Good luck in your search and enjoy the forum.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The first, and most important question, is how you definitely intend to use it ...

For days out, out of the way places will be more difficult to get to due to limited access, narrow and/or bendy roads, so taking the dog for a potter in a remote location could be a no-no if you can't get to the car park and many of them won't accommodate a large vehicle even if you do. Even parking in normal car parks, or road sides etc, could be challenging as you'll have difficulty in finding places for such a long vehicle.

For holiday use aires and the like can be difficult to negotiate for some larger vehicles, or the spaces aren't long enough although you can sometimes hang the 'bottom' over grass etc so long as you can get it in there in the first place. This can also apply to some campsites and smaller CL/CS type places.

Ferries charge based on length so that will be more expensive the longer your MH is, with the exception of Eurotunnel as mentioned in an earlier post.

Staying at a truck stop isn't my idea of a holiday and I suspect won't be yours either when in 'holiday' mode but okay for a 'transit' stop. You won't normally be allowed to use a coach park either I'm afraid.

The space larger MHs give is great and we've had a bigger MHs in the past, up to 7.3m and as short as 5.5m, as well as 'fat' ones at 2.3m wide but now have a 6.36m long x 2.1m wide PVC which suits us for our use.

Think about what you want to do with it and buy accordingly ... nothing more annoying that having a lovely MH but then not being able to go to places, or use it as you want.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had a 7.3m C class motorhome and now have a 7.5m A class. No real difference in width, which I think is more important when you are on the road. We have had no problems getting where we want in the UK and the continent. I have seen large motorhomes in even the tightest Aires in places like France, Spain and Italy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back