A class motorhome cam belt change (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Hi, I have owned my Burstner 660i Elegance (2003) for three years now and do most of the basic servicing (oil change, axel greasing etc.) myself. (I cannot do the fuel filter ...... as it can only be done 'blind' !!!)

However, I am now overdue a cam belt / water pump change and so before using the MH this spring, I was looking for up to date info &/or recommendations on companies & typical costs etc. for getting this work done on A class motorhomes i.e. with the usual terrible engine access. (my understanding is that it's a job that needs to be done from below & one of the engine mountings needs to be taken off so the engine can be dropped slightly ?) I am specifically interested in the 'larger garages' who can do this work as I would like to know that if things subsequently went wrong they would have the resources to resolve any issues.

Am looking for garages West Midlands / Gloucestershire / Worcestershire / Bristol / Oxfordshire areas .... ?

thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry cant help but good luck.
Most garages wont attempt it for the very reason you state.....poor access.
A dedicated motorhome garage/mobile motorhome service mechanic would be a better bet.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes John you are probably right
But reading between the lines the Ice man wants Guarantees above and beyond the norm
I am very interested as a Trader that does this kind of work
What are the resources to resolve any issues that the chosen garage need? what exactly are your expectations?
Flying a fitter out to France as an example?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
It could be, that I am just very nervous at having the work done on such a 'difficult' vehicle ?

The resources I was referring to; are simply a workmanship guarantee that can be relied upon.
For example ..... if say, the cam belt adjusters were fitted incorrectly and after just 300 miles failed causing a major engine failure, then the ability for the garage to recognise / diagnose / accept the problem and to take responsibility for it and do what is necessary, even if it means a complete engine replacement.
A small (even experienced) garage is unlikely to have the resources to fulfil such a guarantee, unless they have some form of professional insurance cover ? (is this normal ?)

I presume the No.1 important factor, is having the work done by persons who regularly work on these type of vehicles, so the risk of error / failure is reduced. The No.2 factor, is having a workmanship guarantee that could be called upon if the 'worst' happened.

So, if anyone has knowledge & experience of garages that should be able to provide both 1 & 2 above, then I would be most grateful.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Which Engine Combination is it exactly? We Purchased a S-H Rapido (2.3 Ducato) from Fullers last year They had a Cam-belt change done, as a condition of sale?. It might be worth enquiring as to who your local dealership has do these job`s for them.?

Pete

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Not on your doorstep but you could always add Lancaster to your next trip. Mark has EHU etc for customers and, when I first posted this, a courtesy car free for the duration of the work. He has been around FIAT based MHs for many years and was foreman at TB Turbos who were well known to MHers in the day.

Mark (ex TBTurbo foreman) at Unit 45, Lune Business Park, Lancaster, LA1 5FT (www.candmauto.co.uk to look, 01524843721 or email info@candmauto.co.uk)

He changed the cam belt and adjusted the clutch and a few other jobs for me when I had the Hymer. Seemed very knowledgeable about all things FIAT - worth a 'phone call.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had the belt on my Hymer A class on fiat chassis done here
http://www.herbiesvehiclerepairs.co.uk/
They did the job for a far price, another garage in Banbury priced the job high because they didn't want to do the job and said so ( he would rather do a couple of Golf's) but at least he was honest, but was far when doing the MOT.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You can't expect cheap and a guarantee if there is a potentially very expensive problem a free fix!!!. If you are looking for cover in the event of a problem I would ask for a quote and be upfront even ask for a quote in writing.

madman

Free Member
Jan 20, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy 78MX
Exp
Since 2012
Hogan bros redditch 01527520665 got a large ramp

OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Well again, many thanks for the leads. I phoned around and not much luck though ...... one response from one of the leads of 'we should manage to get it done for £500 +vat' .... no fixed quote though.

So, I went to my local truck place (a fairly big set-up in Evesham) & chatted to them .... (they've done my gearbox oil & fuel filter in the past) ... & I do trust them.
On the basis that the belt/tensioner kit is around £150; the water pump is around £90, a refill of antifreeze £15, then 4 hours labour of around £220. (i fully understand this taking 4 hours ... i'd be worried if anyone said they could do it 2 ! )
Add the VAT and we're looking at around £570. It seems very expensive BUT a fair price to me ? How anyone gets this work done on an A Class motorhome for £300-£400 ... I don't understand ?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You didn't phone us for a quote and I repeat (just for information) the water pump on the 2.8 is not driven by the cambelt so it is not as critical to replace it with the belt.

D.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Which engine is it? If its a 2.8 JTD you don't necessarily need to do the water pump as it isn't driven by the cambelt. Feel free to phone us for a price and yes professional liability insurance is pretty standard in most trades.

D.
Hi Dave

I need to organise a service and possible cam belt change on my Hymer. I shall contact you in the near future and arrange camping nearby.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Just having my cam belt, tensioner etc changed now with 3ways in Abergele.
Cost is around the £450 mark but they have advised that the air con belt needs changing so here we go!
The van is a 5 year old Autotrail Savannah with a 2.3 Ducato engine.
It just shows you that these things need to be done according to the manufacturers recommend times irrespective of mileage.
our van is only 5 years old with 7000 miles on the clock!
Don't want a major engine rebuild for the sake of saving 450 pounds.
Should have bought one with the 3.0L engine (no cam belt, it is a chain drive).

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Aircon belt isn't a threat to the engine, it would just stop running the compressor. Mine is 8 yrs old and 48k and it is fine.
I imagine it needs to come off anyway though so ought to be just the price of a new belt

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
All done.
£450 for cam belt etc and £16 for the aircon belt (no fitting charge as it was done on the rebuild).
i saw the old one and it was full of cracks which is a bit disturbing as it is only 5 years old.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Andy is spot on, AC belt has to come off first to do the cambelt so no extra labour, just the cost of the belt which I would expect to be less than £20

D.

OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
All done ..... thanks to Dave Newell LVS ..... excellent work. Totally Recommended

Cam belt, water pump, fuel filter, air filter + new engine battery (not planned !) but thought "might as well" as by making room by taking items out/apart to do the cam belt actually made it possible to get access to the bloody battery !!

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Recommendation for cambelt change, anywhere south of London? Hymer 534 1991 Fiat Ducato 280 turbo.

I'm driving from Dover to London to Somerset, so anywhere around there would be good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back