A class - blinded by the sun while driving (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have a Hymer A class. The 2 drop down sun shades for the windscreen, which are fixed to the underside of the drop down bed, are so far apart they leave a large gap, which means when the sun is low I am blinded by it while driving. I have looked to see if Hymer sell a middle shade to fix to the drop down bed but can't see one.

Has anybody found a way of dealing with this problem please?
Sell the van. It obviously isn't any good.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume the gap is something like this

hymer sunshades.jpg

You could try to source an extra centre sun visor from somewhere or alternatively make something that attaches to your existing visors and extends sideways:

dsc03766visor_mod.jpg
visormates.jpg

There are also these type which you might be able to attach to the centre:

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I assume the gap is something like this

View attachment 95280

You could try to source an extra centre sun visor from somewhere or alternatively make something that attaches to your existing visors and extends sideways:

View attachment 95282 View attachment 95283

There are also these type which you might be able to attach to the centre:

Broken Link Removed

Very good ideas .(y) Although proper vehicles,like my mpv , come with centre built in slides for just this reason. :LOL::LOL:
@peterc10 change them for a couple off a kia sedona.:D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
This site is great for info!
Up until today, I was not aware, that I had to be an American to wear a Baseball cap!
There's me wearing one on the Golf course, not realising I was breaking some law or other!!
Not sure why the poster posted if he just ridicules all the suggestions!

Looks like someones tired :)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Go onto fleabay and look for a good second hand coach blind, a full width one. Job done !! Other alternative is is do as some truckers do and put dark tint vynal across the center part !!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hadn't had a problem until a couple of weeks ago when driving down through France with the sun so low, my Timberland varifocal sunglasses coped quite well.
If it is that much of a problem could you retro fit the optional full width electric blind?
What we found more of a problem was the heat generated by the bright sun which the climate control sensors picked up so it kept reducing the temperature and I got cold feet.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Either a couple of suction cups or fixed brackets & some acrylic
visor.jpg
visor2.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Been there, done that, got the T shirt .............:D
I was gonna say use the t-shirt then ... but that got me thinking ...

What about putting a leg warmer on the centre ends of each of the sun blinds then when you put the blinds down it would fill the gap ... you'd get 2 of them so if one wasn't think enough to stop the glare just double up! They come in all sorts of colours including a nice 'ivory' that would blend in with your existing bed base.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-Gi...hash=item27d7f58208:m:mjQ9Os4Cp2diEEm57zO0-Aw

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What about putting a leg warmer on the centre ends of each of the sun blinds then when you put the blinds down it would fill the gap ... you'd get 2 of them so if one wasn't think enough to stop the glare just double up! They come in all sorts of colours including a nice 'ivory' that would blend in with your existing bed base.

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-Gi...hash=item27d7f58208:m:mjQ9Os4Cp2diEEm57zO0-Aw
Thanks Mel, but I think they may be too short - the gap between the visors is about 40cm.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
@peterc10
Peter,
What I'm about to post will be of no help to you but I'm thinking that it may be of interest.
As you know, when we ordered our Hymer we decided, for various reasons, to delete the drop-down bed.
With that option, you don't get traditional sun visors as you have on your van, but pull-down blinds, the same as are fitted to coaches.
I really liked them because you could pull them down a long way and even when driving when the sun was really low they gave good protection.
Stef.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I don't know if you are able to, as in handy at adapting things but what about a combination of these, I am sure that with little effort you could adapt the visor to fit either the long flexi arm or the window fitted flexi arm. That way no matter where the sun is getting in you should be able to protect your eyes.
See these links and I'm sure you'll get what I mean....
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

I would probably opt for the long flexi arm and visor as it would easily clip to drivers or passenger drop down visor for best position and easily adjusted for height of sun etc.
Lance :coolest:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Mel, as it just happened I have just this morning found one of those tucked away on the shelves in the garage - I think we used to use it 25 years or so ago to keep the sun off the (then) kids. Fortunately the front edge of the bed is white shiny plastic that will take the suckers. So I have just stuck it up and will see how well it works.

Another argument for never throwing anything out of the garage - it will all be useful sometime.

Thanks to everybody for the helpful and funny suggestions. I hope you did not mind my occasional feeble (it appears) attempt at being funny in reply :D.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Mel, as it just happened I have just this morning found one of those tucked away on the shelves in the garage - I think we used to use it 25 years or so ago to keep the sun off the (then) kids. Fortunately the front edge of the bed is white shiny plastic that will take the suckers. So I have just stuck it up and will see how well it works.

Another argument for never throwing anything out of the garage - it will all be useful sometime.

Thanks to everybody for the helpful and funny suggestions. I hope you did not mind my occasional feeble (it appears) attempt at being funny in reply :D.

Dont I know it, :Eeek: I have so much "it might come in handy" I could probably make a living from car boots :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Dont I know it, :Eeek: I have so much "it might come in handy" I could probably make a living from car boots :rofl:
... you really do NOT want to look in our garages and workshop then! :)

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Fortunately my Laika came with full width electric thermal blind. Great option to consider if ordering new MH A class

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back