A Class Bed Gas Strut replacement (1 Viewer)

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
Hi all,

We could do with a bit of help re replacing our gas struts on the drop down bed on our A class Frankia.
I have read all the threads on how to via the Hymer links and went to SGS in Derby with our old struts and got a new set matched as the old leaked & couldn't be re gassed.

BUT they don't seem to fit! After more research the method of fitting them makes sense but going on that basis our struts are about 2 inches too long to fit and seem a much lower newton rate at 1100 N compared to other peoples.

We now think that our struts have already been replaced and maybe not correctly as you cannot fit them without compressing them which is impossible.

Could someone with a similar bed please tell me the length of their struts as well as the newton rating so we can try to sort out what should be in ours, as its old a 1994 I'm thinking Frankia won't be able to help and we now have an unuseable bed!! :cry:

Please help!!

Thanks Mrs Travelbug1

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l have never heard of having to fit gas struts, compressed. It's impossible as you have said, so something is not quite right here. l am sorry l cannot help you personally, but l am sure someone will come along soon to rectify your problem.

Craig

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I bought replacement strutt`s for our old "A" Class...

And as far as I can remember I bought them off e.bay...

Not the same make or fitting but with a bit of giggery pokey I managed to make them fit.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
hi, i fitted new struts to my drop down bed without compressing them which i think is virtually impossible, i changed them by undoing the nuts in the down position and pulling one end off at a time carefully as strut will extend. put new strut on lower fixing then lifting bed up (now heavy) and supporting it this is the position of extended strut and could now get strut located on other fixing by moving bed as high as i could to get right position. This was all done from working thru the open windows and sometimes on the bed one side at a time.if it helps you could call me p.s. mine are s.g.s. 1000n

OP
OP
Travelbug1

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
Thanks for the replys everyone, I get the gist of how to fit them and it makes perfect sense following the hymer guidelines, but just to reiterate I really need to know what the length of your struts are as the ones we have been given are about 2 inches too long to be able to fit without compressing them which is not possible to do and yes we have been following the instuctions about having bed up in highest position and undoing split pins etc.
Not having a manual or any english struts I cannot get a part number or find out what the correct length is for my M/H

Thanks

Mrs T

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
re the pm i sent that size may not apply to your bed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
re pm

the serial no i sent you breaks down into sizes ,10 being rod dia, 22 is shaft dia, 300 is length 250 is extended length, 1000n can be varied upto 1200n
go onto sgs struts web site and you will be able to browse all the sizes as to the end fittings mine are lugs not split pins but you can order new or use your old ones and yes it wasn,t too hard. i took one off and measured it, compared it on their site then ordered it over the phone to make sure it was right, fella was very helpful

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I fitted new struts to my old 89 Pilote.
I had to take the pelmet off each side, that gave me the space to work each side of the bed. With the bed down loosen the nut nearest to you, take it to about 4 threads before the off, With the bed up remove nut compltely and take strut from pinion.
Bed down, remove other end of strut, fix new strut to that end. Bed up, you now need help to adjust the bed up or down, to fix the other end of strut on to the pinion, working by feel, replace the nut, once end of strut is in place, get at least 4 full turns on it before bed down to tighten nut.

Repeat for other side.

Reactions: JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back