Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We're booked for 11.50 next Thursday from Calais. If we turn up 24 hours earlier;
a) Will we still get through pet control?
b) Will the ANPR recognise us?
c) Will we be offered an earlier (much earlier) slot, albeit at a cost?

Sorry, that was 3 questions, but your advice appreciated.
Cheers,

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I dunno, never turned up THAT early, only 'some hours'.

Can you not ring them or email them, as you have the internet?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Re-plan to SKEGNESS!! (y) No pet control, (unless your taking the lady next door......):) No anoraks required.......(If that's what ANPR means), o_O And you can have what slot you want!! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
i have turned up several weeks early to come home for family emergency. I phoned first and because I specifically wanted to come home on a last day of the spring bank holiday. I had to pay a premium of about £120.

If you phone, they will offer you alternative dates and you will be surprised at the difference in cost. If you phone and make a return booking they will probably give you a new booking reference number. Travel early morning or late afternoon if you can and it will be cheaper. As has been suggested, if you have internet you re best to look at that for times and prices

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Re-plan to SKEGNESS!! (y) No pet control, (unless your taking the lady next door......):) No anoraks required.......(If that's what ANPR means), o_O And you can have what slot you want!! (y)

You compare Skegness to La Belle France, you're having a :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You compare Skegness to La Belle France, you're having a :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I know. You cant even begin to compare Skeggy to the frog and stinky cheese infested areas of La Smell France. (y)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Join Frequent Travellers ET deal. You change at any time and without extra fees.

colyboy

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I came home early last Sept my mother passed away just went to the kiosk payed an extra 60euros and went on the train did not phone just turned up ( I think i was about a week early )

Neil

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Suggest you try to alter booking on-line as that sometimes beats the price if you just "turn up". Late arrivals at the terminal are basically a captive audience.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all. Did go to booking online, not amendable, phone call required. No signal then, will move and try tomorrow.
Will save the delights of Skegness till I'm, well, dead, hopefully.:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're booked for 11.50 next Thursday from Calais. If we turn up 24 hours earlier;
a) Will we still get through pet control?
No - they will only do the necessary within a few hours of the crossing time - they used to do it the day before for a crossing the next morning but this is against policy and the last time we tried we were refused, when I asked via email about it I was told it should NOT be allowed at all.
b) Will the ANPR recognise us?
Probably ... but until you've got through a) above it won't be much use if you are meaning the automated check-in! The ANPR ticket thingy will probably offer you earlier crossing options for a cost, not sure what it will be though.
c) Will we be offered an earlier (much earlier) slot, albeit at a cost?
Probably - see b) above.

If you do want to go home earlier then I'd be tempted to drive straight to a manned ticket booth/check-point and see what the options are first - if they are favourable/acceptable then change the crossing and then reverse out, or go round the block, to the pet passport check-in by which time the new 'times' should be in the system and they'll do the necessary for you.

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Give them call I have always found them very helpful.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
If more than just a few hours earlier do look online first to see difference in price so you have an idea of what crossings to avoid and phone up. We have found it cheaper that way than just arriving. As said before, if it's just a few hours early just show up.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Ruth
Sue is moaning about the back pack
The wheels keep dragging on the ground behind her

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Make sure that you are within the timing for the pets travel, more than 24hrs and less than 120 hrs since your visit to the vets.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
We turned up 24 hours early when coming back in June. I went to the pet passport place first and she checked and offered us the crossing 24 hours early for an extra £9- and ammended it all for us. Its worth a try.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Personally I would suggest you going to the train. The ANPR system thingy will recognise you but it may inform the terminal office. They'll let you into the terminal and go to Customer Service. Very helpful.
The reason behind this is the last time we booked with C & CC, they dropped a clanger and booked us a day before. OK, my fault as I didn't check but always been right before plus had a lot going on (pretty traumatic time) and so technically I hadn't any booking because in reality I'd missed the train (no pun intended) but the staff at the tunnel altered the booking, put us on next available train and cost £20.00. I definitely would try it. They're very helpful and obliging

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Does it cost?
Frequent traveller requires the advance purchase of 10 single crossings ie 5 returns. They can be shared with one other person. You buy 10 singles for a car for £430 and then add £11 each way for a motorhome/campervan. So the fixed price is £54 each way for a MH - 365 days per year (there are some time restrictions eg going out from UK after 4pm, and returning from France before 2pm)

The 10 tickets need to be used within 12 months of purchase, but crossing bookings can be changed as frequently as you like for no extra charge.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Frequent traveller requires the advance purchase of 10 single crossings ie 5 returns. They can be shared with one other person. You buy 10 singles for a car for £430 and then add £11 each way for a motorhome/campervan. So the fixed price is £54 each way for a MH - 365 days per year (there are some time restrictions eg going out from UK after 4pm, and returning from France before 2pm)

The 10 tickets need to be used within 12 months of purchase, but crossing bookings can be changed as frequently as you like for no extra charge.
Brilliant but not for me as at least 8 would be unused.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
To the OP, as others have suggested it's easy to change a booking. Just have a look at the website and the prices available for your revised crossing - then call straight away and say you want to make a change, given them details of the new date and time. You will only pay an additional charge if the new crossing is more expensive. If it's less, I don't believe you'll get a refund, or at least I don't think so - that was certainly the case with Tesco voucher bookings, but then I guess that's something rather different.

The thing is, you'll be able to see on the net what new price options are available and provided you ring straight away, that's what you'll be charged for the new date, less what you've already paid. If you don't want to pay more, sometimes it's possible to choose a more antisocial time to cross ie late at night (which it must be said is easier if you're travelling in a van than a car, for example).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Brilliant but not for me as at least 8 would be unused.
You can share the crossings with someone else - do a search on here about the frequent traveller scheme and you should find some old postings about it.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You can share the crossings with someone else - do a search on here about the frequent traveller scheme and you should find some old postings about it.
That's fair Comment but as was said before, you can share with one person so in reality it would be better for me to see of any frequent traveller tickets are available. Our initial thoughts are probably a single but longer trip away next year rather than 2 shorter ones so pointless me buying 5 returns when I'd only use 4. It'd be cheaper if I bought from another or just book as and when but thanks for the heads up.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Do your best to phone them at least 24 hours before you want to travel, because the price can go up quite dramatically within that time. You'll probably have to pay a surcharge (the difference in prices) but we've always found them to be very helpful including trying to keep the cost down.
With this done, the ANPR should work okay - you don't change the booking ref.
Make sure you're within the 24-120 hours allowed period for the pooch.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
We came back in October , two weeks early, because my wife was unwell. No advance calls or emails to the Chunnel Company. Rolled up, explained the problem, offered immediate next available raise crossing, no suggestion of any additional cost and none paid, Full marks to Chunnel Organisation - will always use them in future!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back