A cheap extension

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mustaphapint, Dec 23, 2015.

1. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

We've had our MH about 3 months now and so far made one trip in it. We are planning a trip to Spain and Portugal in the New Year, but I mentioned it was an expensive extension to have sat on the drive and not be used. Then we realised it is actually quite a cheap extension. It is our bedroom over the Christmas holidays while we have family staying over. It currently has our turkey in the fridge as there is no room left in the house fridge. It stores our pedal cycles and leaves the main garage free for our 4 motorcycles and other clutter.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ours is more like a man cave when not being used.. It is some where for me to escape and tinker

• Like Like x 3
  3. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

:xrofl::xThumb:
    And me spend 60% of my time in the van or my shed.
    A bloke thing eh!!:xgrin::xgrin:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

When the kids were home and we had the big Hymer it was used as their sulking place :) as well as extra bedrooms when we had guests and one daughter used the roof as her private sun bathing space as the roof of the van was not overlooked.

It was a very old machine when we had her (and is still on the road), it cost less than a decent summer house would :)

We are thinking of selling the house we have now and moving to somewhere closer to family. The idea is sell first and then buy so we may be living in our motorhome for a while and that has to be cheaper than renting - especially if we decide to build again or have extensive renovations to do to a property.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Someone I know spent £30,000 on an art studio in the garden which is too cold to use in the winter - would have been better getting a pre-loved RV that failed it's MOT me thinks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

@Puddleduck
    Thats exactly what we did sold the big family home as it was too big once the kids left and we were travelling 6 months a year. Lived in the van for 6 months built ourselves a small manageable home and bought 2 town houses which we rent out. Now we have some extra income plus our money is still in property but 3 places instead of 1 and the kids will inherit a house each when we're gone.:xgrin:
    Every one wins:xThumb:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Spent the last 3 days tinkering about in mine, gets me out of the way of the boss, been hell since she retired keeps finding me jobs to do.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Even been thinking about buying a building plot and putting a couple of old statics on it (subject to planning of course), ripping out the insides and using them for hobby rooms - his train set and my studio - and then a newer static for the main house. A couple of spots for tourers (CL / CS or even Britstop) and we would be set.

I think we missed an opportunity when an old council yard came up for sale a couple of years back - lots of sheds and storage, no garden, all tarmac :) Probably too much money and too big though :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

as an extension of the house we call ours 'the west wing'
    We never empty the van out after a trip. So it's also like having a corner shop next door

• Like Like x 5