Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
People who know me know that I am numerically challenged (what little skill I have is in my cooking ability !!)....My Scottish trip is now planned out and I am now working on a trip to the North of France from September until November!!
What I would like to know is whether or not , taking into consideration, ferry fares and mileage etc. which is better.....Dover-Calais or one of the western ferries to Roscoff or wherever.
I am based in Shrewsbury and my vehicle is 7 metres long and 3 metres high, only me on board (Boo, Hoo !) approx. 25 mpg.
Over to you !!!! :helpsos::thanks:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For what its worth. what research I have done in the past. to and from every port available in France and Spain with an RV doing 14 MPG it always seems to break even:Doh:
so doing 25MPG driving will win over ferry every time:thumb:
But only if you enjoy driving:Doh:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We've done a number of costings over the past couple of years and based on our van doing 23/24mpg Dover - Calais wins every time!
That's travelling from Glossop, Derbyshire so we're not near any channel ports.

As long as you don't mind the extra driving that is!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We've done a number of costings over the past couple of years and based on our van doing 23/24mpg Dover

You should apply a *real* running cost to get the right answer. Not sure what that is but it's a good bit more than fuel alone.

Up north to Cadiz is looking close - 8 days and 2000 miles saved is quite a saving. Factor in winter driving risks and Santander is a winner. Give or take being sea sick :Sad: More calculations after Jul 12th.

However, northern France, I can't see any sums failing to favour the very low Calais prices.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back