A Caledonian Journey/Adventure !!! (1 Viewer)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
In September I am planning a journey up the East coast of Scotland, along the top and down the West coast before taking the ferry from Uig to Tarbert on Harris !
I would appreciate suggestions of places on the coast roads where "Wildcamping" might be tolerated ! Saw Anstruther on "Hairy Bikers" (Fantastic Chippy !) recently.....I wonder what they would think of it ?:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Have a great trip over the years I have done the whole of this journey but never in a "oner" The southern part below Edinburgh is the hardest part to wild camp, they certainly do everything they can to discourage it, but Sassenachs are not the most hospitable Scots.
As you travel further north the situation becomes much easier, the place are obvious as you travel along and you will find no difficulty finding overnight stops just off the road you are travelling.

Enjoy your trip and I hope the weather stays dry for you.

Norman

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Jealous does not describe it!!!!
Fancy doing the Islands when(if) we get a van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Someone has to do it, and It's my turn !!!

Have a great trip over the years I have done the whole of this journey but never in a "oner" The southern part below Edinburgh is the hardest part to wild camp, they certainly do everything they can to discourage it, but Sassenachs are not the most hospitable Scots.
As you travel further north the situation becomes much easier, the place are obvious as you travel along and you will find no difficulty finding overnight stops just off the road you are travelling.

Enjoy your trip and I hope the weather stays dry for you.

Norman

Thanks for that !! I will start above Edinburgh and will be "on the road" for about 6 weeks ! What a bummer it is to be retired, footloose and fancy free !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi

Your right about the chippy we went up that way last October and tastiest we have ever had.
There is a good wild camping spot at Crail about 10miles further up, when you come into the village follow signs for golf course and campsite as you drive out you will see an old airfield on your right drive past this and you will see a turning on the right signposted for go karting just drive down to the end of the road and you can park there. We have used this a couple of times and you get the odd car coming down for a quick drive round but from 10pm till 8am had it all to ourselves and stunning view across the sea. Hope this helps

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Google earth !

Just clocked it on Google Earth...Perfick !!! On my list ! Is there anywhere in Anstruther to park up ? :thumb:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
If you are including the Moray Firth on your route, there is a parking area on the A990 between Buckie and Portgordon that is frequently used overnight by motorhomes. It's right by the sea and has seals for neighbours when the tide is out. If you're very lucky, you will see dolphins as well.

Phil

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
If you are including the Moray Firth on your route, there is a parking area on the A990 between Buckie and Portgordon that is frequently used overnight by motorhomes. It's right by the sea and has seals for neighbours when the tide is out. If you're very lucky, you will see dolphins as well.

Phil
I am following the Coast all the way around !

Duly noted and marked on the map !!:thumb:

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just clocked it on Google Earth...Perfick !!! On my list ! Is there anywhere in Anstruther to park up ? :thumb:

Hi Steve there is a carpark just past the chippy on the seafront we parked in there but didn't stay overnight i cant see a problem with it myself as it isnt over looked by houses.

Im sure from memory there are a few other places to park along sea front.

If you have another look on google earth at the one in crail you will see a building at the end of the road i think its a pumping station, ideal for parking if its a wild night as gives you shelter and has cctv so should make you feel safe if your worried.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just had another thought (better have a lie down):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if your coming up the east side via the border areas there is an official MH overnight i cant remember if its Kelso or Hawick but the council opened it and im sure its free i posted on here a while back about it so should be a thread on it.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hi Steve there is a carpark just past the chippy on the seafront we parked in there but didn't stay overnight i cant see a problem with it myself as it isnt over looked by houses.

Im sure from memory there are a few other places to park along sea front.

If you have another look on google earth at the one in crail you will see a building at the end of the road i think its a pumping station, ideal for parking if its a wild night as gives you shelter and has cctv so should make you feel safe if your worried.

Yes, I did notice the building ! I thought it was a farm shed !! Many thanks for your input !:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Steve

Don't know if this will be any help or not, I picked it up while trawling the web, so can't vouch for accuracy or indeed if the spots exist .. but you can zoom in on many and look on street view ..

Wild camping spots Scotland

good luck and safe travels ..

ps.. you can download the POIs and use in a sat nav.. (after converting from KML)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The spot I PM'd you about had a motorhome on it when I took the dog for a walk that night. Don't think you would need to book though..lol....:Smile:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Hi - If you're making your way up the east coast of Scotland be sure to go and see the Moray Firth dolphins. Make your way to the parking area at Chanonry Point near Fortrose (on the north side of the firth, east of Inverness) and a 5 minute walk takes you to the lighthouse by the point. Start watching just after low water. It is rare that we don't see them, and if the fish are running well you will get a performance just yards from the shore - jumping out, flipping fish etc. (you can even hear them blowing - sometimes you'll catch the spray!) Best free show in the country! Enjoy your trip. Bill.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hi - If you're making your way up the east coast of Scotland be sure to go and see the Moray Firth dolphins. Make your way to the parking area at Chanonry Point near Fortrose (on the north side of the firth, east of Inverness) and a 5 minute walk takes you to the lighthouse by the point. Start watching just after low water. It is rare that we don't see them, and if the fish are running well you will get a performance just yards from the shore - jumping out, flipping fish etc. (you can even hear them blowing - sometimes you'll catch the spray!) Best free show in the country! Enjoy your trip. Bill.

Been there a few times !! Shame about the No Overnight parking signs there !!:cry:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Steve just an update on the spot at Crail we had friends drive there last week and it was full of travelers so might be a good idea to arrive early in case you want to move on.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Try

Applecross - loads of room there, I'm sure it must be possible to wild camp...

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Indeed, a great place ! also Shieldaig not far from there !:thumb:
If you go, go the long way round, just before Applecross, there's a big parking space, where Monty Halls had his croft, lovely beach there and watch the deer here as well, we're off up there tomorrow.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
All these brilliant park ups on Steve's route are all well and good but could you also tell him about the situation with the roundabouts... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back