A bit of help for a first time trip to Spain

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Paxo, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Paxo

Paxo

Hi there. I joined this group recently after falling for life in a MH, which convinced me to sell my house and go full time. The sale completed 1 month and 1 day ago and I have been getting used to my new home and loving every minute of it. I have so far stayed on friends and family drives, a couple of sites to do laundry, etc, a few pubs and some wild camping. The last 2 appeal most (y)

I am currently near Portsmouth and will be boarding the ferry to Santander in the morning. The only thing that I have got planned for certain is that I will be returning for various reasons at the end of Jan, though not for too long I think. I also want to visit friends on the Algarve in Jan, but no dates are fixed yet.

My call for help is all about where should I go and and where I should stay? I am looking for good scenery, some local history, warm weather (but a bit of cold doesn't bother me) and to be able to move around a bit to see different things and places.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

• Like Like x 3
  2. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

• Like Like x 4
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Have you got a list of aires and campsites? There are apps you can get which list them as well. I would recommend CamperContact but there are others. To install it search for "NKC" in the playstore, there are versions for iOS and Android. You need to buy the full version, under a fiver, to get the full database. It is also called all motorhome parkings.

My suggestion would be to head south because it will be a lot drier than the north coast and the interior can get very cold so it's the south coast for you I think! :) The bit south of Murcia is probably driest. The Camper Area at Campbell beach near Alicante is a pleasant place plus of course there are aires a little inland from the coast. The postee of post #2 above could recommend one!

But if you have time to visit a bookshop before you go buy the Dorling Kingsley Eyewitness guide to Spain, it is a very good guide to the highlights in each region.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Bridget

Bridget Funster

Hi @Paxo. You're making your way over and I'm going back on the Santander ferry you come on!
    I'm currently at Aranjuez at a site called Camping Aranjuez (International) N 40 deg 2' 32" W 3deg 35' 58"
    It's 42km south of Madrid , on the river (kayaks for hire), with excellent cycling and good transport links. The town looks really interesting ( came through a mini arc de triomphe type structure) and I wish I could stay here longer. I was too tired to search around but I think it likely you could wild camp somewhere around here.

Down south... I went to Guadalest which is up on a mountain road between Altea (or anywhere along that coast) and Alcoi. I drove up from Altea... what a fabulous road amazing going up and down. There is a municipal car park which you can stay overnight in for 24 hours and cost is 2 euro. There are 3 car parks all charging the same but the lower park is away from it all with absolute peace and no lighting. Hopefully I might be able to upload some pics later.

• Like Like x 3
  5. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Benidorm might be a good spot for a visit, presently overrun by MHF members wintering at various campsites in the area, sure to give you a big welcome. Otherwise, assuming you are looking for winter sunshine, head to the southern Costas. Plenty to see along the way.
    Enjoy your first trip, and post some stuff to let us know how you are doing.

Bryan

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

If you only need to fly back to UK for a few weeks best get cheap return flight and leave van in either storage or on a site...Good luck with the new life:)

Get a Three SIM to keep in touch

7. Paxo

Paxo

Thanks, but the return trip is get some work done on the van, It's being done at the start of Feb as it is their quiet time so they can focus. I probably need to see my grandkids too :)

Had I read my ticket I would have realised that while I tried to book to go to Santander I am actually on the ferry to Bilbao. Not that it matters as there were no plans to change.

I think I am aiming for Briviesca tomorrow night - it is only a short hop and I won't get off the boat until mid to late afternoon.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Depending on your reasons for visiting Spain, I would suggest that you aim for as far south west as time will allow for the climate.
    Geographically Spain has much to offer from virtual desert and palm groves in the south to British rain and hill country in the north west. In the winter, snow and cold winds can dominate the central plains and Madrid. On the other hand you may want the tourist life to be found on the Costa Brava, Costa del Sol and Benidorm. In contrast if you seek the real (?) traditional Spain, this is to be found almost everywhere else although my choice would be Estramadura region (North of Seville).
    Travelling on Spanish roads is generally a delight, with some of the best built roads in Europe and away from the tourist spots, some of the quietest.
    Alan

• Like Like x 1