A bit of a moan

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by rosalan, Nov 2, 2015.

1. rosalan

rosalan Funster

I drove down from Aberdeen via Wigan yesterday through fairly thick fog after driving up there a few days earlier in pouring rain. Both of which I could cope with, what I found hard to swallow were the number of cars and trucks that would suddenly appear out of the murk, with no lights on..... I feel better having got that off my chest! Alan

• Like Like x 8
  2. Fenman

Fenman Funster

And it's not just the lack of brain power to turn them on. If you flash them they usually give you the finger too.
    I drive a school mini-bus and to pass the time one of my favourite pastimes is to count the number of cars coming towards me with only one headlight working properly.
    My all time record last winter in a round trip of around 30 miles each way was 34 going and 32 coming back.
    Then, of course, there are the plonkers who have their red "fog" lights on in perfectly clear conditions and brake lights that have one out or an earth problem so touching the pedal dims all the rear lights.
    Thanks rosalan I feel better for that little moan too.:)

• Like Like x 5
  3. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    ..... and what about these new fangled headlights (LED?) - worse than traditional lights on full beam - blinding. I also like to start the day with a little moan (no smart replies please!):)

• Like Like x 5
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Our new-to-us car has the front lights that are on all the time. Now when we were in Norway I could see how useful they were but I'm not so sure if I like them or not here (especially in the summer).

5. WillH

WillH Funster

I had a 1989 Volvo with daylight running lights, it's eventually caught on!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

I can drive in all conditions but I hate fog. My driving instructor - many years ago - said "Assume every other driver on the road is an idiot and be prepared for them doing something unexpected and/or stupid." In thick fog you can't always see the idiots driving at you at breakneck speed, even if they have got their lights on.

• Like Like x 3
  7. davanne

davanne Funster

My last car was the same Helen but at least you don't forget to turn them on:giggler:

• Like Like x 1
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

A good rant but essentially "situation normal".

• Like Like x 2
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I think they are killers. Yes you see the light that is blinding you but you do NOT see that push bike, pedestrian, motorcycle or even older vehicle not programmed to blind you. I'm sure that was why I got knocked off my bike a couple of years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  10. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

Don't have to be foggy dark or have dazzling headlights look out for the IdI OT driving the Asda van doing u Turn on duel carriageway

11. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Mine said the same but pointed out that "I" should be the biggest idiot, because "I" would not expect to make the mistakes which we all do.

12. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

Rear fog lights do my head in. Fog lights are only needed in very think fog where there is absolutely nobody behind you. There should be a sharp spike that lodges itself up the ar*se of the driver who switches there rear fog light on to remind them to switch it off. And an extra large spike for drivers who feel the need to switch them on when it's raining.

Thanks for the opportunity to get that off me chest:)

Cheers
    Alan

• Like Like x 2
  13. makems

makems Funster Life Member

What about the idiots who think switching on their parking/sidelights is adequate in rain or fog. They are as dim as NAAFI candles and about as much use.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sedge

sedge Funster

No fog lights when there's anyone behind you?

I thought the whole idea of them was to make you visible/more visible to the bloke behind you?

What are they for then?

• Like Like x 1
  15. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Whatever you do don't come to Cornwall, there's a gert great yellow ball in the sky that seems to frighten the hell out of visitors

16. Fenman

Fenman Funster

They are to warn people approaching from a distance that a vehicle is ahead. Once there is someone hanging on your bum you can turn them off.
    If they are daft enough in fog to overtake you and then there is nobody in sight behind you then you turn them on again.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Big bus man

Big bus man

I drove back to Gatwick from Newcastle on Saturday evening, lots of fog then and plenty of stupid drivers racing to be the one in front but what bugged me most was some of the continental lorry drivers. Traffic was light so I had the cruise control on set a 65mph, just enough to be that tiny bit faster than the lorries and feel like I am getting somewhere but these drivers don't like being overtaken by motorhomes it seems as once I pulled back in soon after they are passing me again. I thought they were speed restricted!

18. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

So that drivers from a distance can see you. From a short distance they have the opposite effect by dazzling especially if there is any moisture on the windscreen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Hi

"daylight running lights". back in the late 80`s when they first appeared on Volvo`s. we use to have great fun Flashing all the Volvo drivers!. To let them know they had full lights on mid summer in bright sunshine!!. It was only on the bikes we used them. In the vain hope that "sorry mate didn't see you"might no longer be an excuse (never worked). Rear Fog lights Should be wired so that they automatically go off and stay off when the ignition is switched off, first foggy day hereabouts and they are on for the next week at least!!. Now maybe IF they where wired on the Accessories circuit, the No of cars with flat batteries next morning (late for work) would wake one or two up!!

Pete

20. Big bus man

Big bus man

With Winter weather rapidly approaching it is the one eyed monsters that annoy me, those drivers that can't be bothered to change a lightbulb, especially company vans. Makes me wonder just how many vehicles are on our roads without MOT's :mad:

• Like Like x 1