A Bigger Little Adventure, (in a bigger van) (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Col, What is the new motor as I don't recognize it. Looks really nice
Sandra here - it is a 2005 Dethleffs Esprit i7870. Bought it in Germany not long after the Dorset meets this summer. If you remember Terry, we were interested in that Hymer on the IoW but it sold before we could get over to see it. This was the alternative and the one we could afford that was nearest to @Popeye layout, which we fell in love with.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Duty done, mother visited, laundry done, weighbridge visited............... HOLY COW, how much??? :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: SVTec on the phone in a nano second - don't panic Mr Stoner just fill in the form and spend us money. I can feel another delay to our departure coming on :crying:why did we not think of this sooner?

Anyway, this is home for the next couple of days so not all bad. A lovely little CS called Barford Top, near Saddington in Leicestershire. Lovely views all round and very quiet.
View attachment 79901 View attachment 79902 View attachment 79903
If you want to save a few bob upgrading talk to Mel @MinxyGirl

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If you want to save a few bob upgrading talk to Mel @MinxyGirl
No time Eddie, we need it done within a week. Supposed to be crossing a week on Thursday. It's one of those things we kept meaning to check but didn't get round to it. As we are going for such a long time we don't want to be worried about it. We are only a little bit over and I dare say if we travelled dry ( almost empty fresh tank) we could do it but that's not the way we like to tour. We don't have to do anything to upgrade, just send off the right paperwork.

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sandra sounds as if your really ready to hit the road after your break at Popeye Towers, looking forward to following your adventures. (y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I didn't know where Cornish Farm was so I Googled it. It isn't in Cornwall! They should be done under the Trades Description Act - but it looks very swish. Do they give you shears to trim the lawn edges around your pitch with?

But all the best and have a safe crossing and subsequent trip down to Spain. :)

No - scissors!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It is with baited breath and with everything crossed that we finally make our way to Folkstone for a lunch time crossing. What hasn't gone wrong in the last 72 hours is nobodies business.

My mum goes into hospital on Monday for a routine and fairly minor op to remove a small melanoma from her face. All is well and she is back home later that day. That evening the little tiny scar Stuart's to bleed and won't stop, then her face and eye start to swell and the bleeding gets worse. She calls my brother, calls the paramedics, next thing she knows she is in the operation theatre again as they try to stem the bleeding, that didn't work so they try again a few hours later, that didn't work so then it's a general anaesthetic and they succeed on the 3rd time of trying!!

My poor mum looks like she has been ten rounds with Mike Tyson and is still in hospital. A daughters guilt kicks in, should we delay our departure yet again? My own medical issues has meant we are already a month later than planned and that nearly caused us more problems when none of the chemists in Market Harborough had enough of the men's that I need to take with me, 2 hours later we finally locate the mess and leave for Colin's mums for an overnight visit while we wait to see how my mum is doing.

After a long telephone conversation with mum last night we have decided to go for it, make our way down to Park Verger and hold up there for a few days just in case we need to come back to help mum. If all is well we will then carry on down to Spain. This compromise eases my guilt at going but means we could be back in a day to two if needed.

Phew! After all that, the sun is shining, we are on the road and almost smiling! I tell you one thing, if any of those bl**dy immigrants and even thinking about causing trouble this morning, I'll punch their lights out! :boxing:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
  • Latest Travel Information

• For customers travelling today via our UK Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating to schedule with up to 3 departures per hour. We wish you a pleasant crossing with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle.
    For customers travelling today via our French Terminal
    Our passenger service is currently operating to schedule with up to 2 departures per hour. We wish you a pleasant crossing with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle.

This information is also available via our 24 hour (recorded) service information on +44 (0) 8444 63 00 00. (Calls cost up to 7p/min + your phone company's access charge )
    Last update: 29/10/2015 - 10:23 (GMT +1hr)
All looks OK on the tunnel today.

Safe travels

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We didn't get very far for our first nights stop. After both falling asleep while going through the tunnel we thought a short drive might be sensible. Straight round to Gravelines, a little walk along the river and then back to the van for a pre-cooked beef casserole with crusty bread.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jul 25, 2015
east devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer b674
Exp
since 2013
Good luck with your travels and hope everything gets sorted at home.
We will follow your blog with interest as planning similar but have to wait for the little one to finish uni next June firstly.
Then need to get a newer bigger mh and away we go, will probably ask you sometime further detail about importing as planning to do so next year, if that's ok with you.

Enjoy

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The good news is - mum is out of hospital and doing OK.

The even better news is - the sun is shining, the autumn colours are spectacular.

The breaking news (to us) is - who knew Normandie and central France was so beautiful, especially at this time of year! I suppose over half of the people of this forum did, but we didn't.

Our dash to Spain has slowed down somewhat, as the weather is warm and kind, my usual knack of picking duff Aires seems to be a thing of the past as all have been lovely so far.

Our route so far (completely toll free) has taken us through some spectacular scenery. OK this might not be Scotland in the Autumn or New England, but for anyone looking to get an Autumn break in without driving too far from Calais, I can recommend lower Normandy and Central France.

After our first night in Gravelines we headed to a lovely hide away Aire in a village called Long on the river Somme just South of Abbeville. As a useless blog keeper I didn't photograph the Aire, just the Chatuex Long and the rather splendid town hall. The Aire, for anyone that's interested is not in the Aires book but was found on the Campercontacts app, site code 19330. It was €5 a night but well worth is for the lovely location.
image.jpg
image.jpg

From there we headed through Rouen and on to another small (free) Aire in the village of Chandai near L'Aigle. This one is in the All the Aires book no 177 Normandy. It was an extremely quite Aire, apart from the church bells, which we had to ourselves upto 10:30 pm when a late arrival joined us. The village had a great Hobbit house (sorry about the dark picture), this was an actual residence, well it had no 3 on the door and a letter box.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Today we have had a glourious sunny day, which showed off the autumn trees in their full glory, my pictures do nothing for them I am afraid, over 1,000 kilometres of dirt on the windscreen doesn't help.
image.jpg
image.jpg

For tonight our Aire of choice is just outside Tours in a village called Villandry (Aires book no 34 Central France) once again a freeby, just pay €2 for fresh water, hardstanding currently covered in golden crunchy leaves and near a mahoooosive chateau open to the public.
image.jpg

The bad news is - we have run out of Tonic and Colin cannot get a TV signal!

Last edited:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
If on your way south youare anywhere near Mayenne you're welcome to spend a night or 2 @ chez Lin@Mike. Having said that we will be away from mid Nov until 1st or 2nd Dec.
If we miss you then may be we'll bump into each other when we head south in 2016
Hope the new van is all that you wished for
Have a safe trip

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If on your way south youare anywhere near Mayenne you're welcome to spend a night or 2 @ chez Lin@Mike. Having said that we will be away from mid Nov until 1st or 2nd Dec.
If we miss you then may be we'll bump into each other when we head south in 2016
Hope the new van is all that you wished for
Have a safe trip
Thank you, that is a really kind offer but we have just booked for two nights at Parc Verger from tomorrow, we will be way past you then I think?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
PARC Verger eh?
Beware the Munchie!
I am in the naughty corner PLEASE come and say hello.
Frank and Lisa will probably warn you about the Munchies!!!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
PARC Verger eh?
Beware the Munchie!
I am in the naughty corner PLEASE come and say hello.
Frank and Lisa will probably warn you about the Munchies!!!
Oh we'll come a knocking alright! We need Tonic!

Actually they haven't replied to my email yet, do you think it's alright to just turn up? In fairness to them I only sent it a few hours ago.

P.s if Mrs Munchie would like to go for a good old walk, I'd be up for that. What about those other strange folk that live down the road, those from Tod....something or other, are they about?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Yes will be fine! There is room for you?
Alan and Lynda? The Soggies? Yes we were out with them yesterday!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
All is well in our world today. A lovely sunny day, smooth roads, no hold ups and look what's waiting for us at Parc Verger......
image.jpg

The tonic, not the out of date tomatoes!

Oh and of course a lovely evening in @Munchie Towers with Steph and Ken. Thank you for the tonic and a very enjoyable evening.....hic!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Glad to hear your mum is on the mend, I think I'd linger longer in France while the weather is good and let it settle down in Spain, keep the story's coming. (y)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you to Colin and Sandra for a great meal tonight!

I am thinking about a 5% reduction on Munchies added tax!

Just thinking mind!
You are very welcome, and thank you for the lovely autumnal walk today. It was great to meet the legends that are Mr & Mrs Soggie - @laneside - Lynda & Alan in their gorgeous Limousin cottage in the woods.

The pictures below show the cycle way that is just down the road to Camping Parc Verger. I feel a bike ride coming on and yet another delay to our arrival in Spain. With the weather this good it would be foolish to move on just yet.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back