A baptism of fire..... (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Having only used the van twice before, we've decided to go for it this third time and have booked the euro tunnel for Monday. Eeek!
Maybe we've bitten off more than we can chew but the idea is to follow the @tonka trail (thanks Tonka) and head for maybe Barcelona, possibly further, with a slow meander through France with maybe some canoeing on the way. The end game for me is warm weather and swimming in a warm sea, so fingers crossed.
This is an advanced warning of maybe some cries for help from you lovely funsters, so thanks in advance. :smiley: :smiley:
Thanks to all the great tips on here I hope we've got most base covered, ie Campercontact app, 3 mobile, the right credit card etc etc, but I guess only time will tell. :mm:

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Thanks :) Hope your right. It'd be an understatement to say 'I'm terrified'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Safe trip.. This year I am having to fly out and get a couple of weeks away. Sure you will be fine and lots of backup here on the forum.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Give yourselves plenty of time. Relax, chill and change plans as and when you need to.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We felt the same. Chunnel is a doddle, so don't worry about that. We've broken down twice now, but met with a great deal of help and friendliness. ( the first time we spent three days on a garage forecourt. This time we are at a campsite, but tomorrow we go to a garage forecourt....oh joy! We are currently in Poland. Feeling fed up, but hopeful. Enjoy your trip. Enjoy the sunshine. Enjoy the experience.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have a lovely time and there is no rush and if plans change that's all the better!! No wrong route in Motorhoming unless its under a low bridge !!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
This time next week you will wonder why you were worrying.
Don't know how long you are away for but if you have the time just trundle through France and enjoy the relaxed way of life and the easy driving.
We tend to only drive for 3-4 hours a day and get to our next aire in the early afternoon. If we particularly like the place we might stop for a couple of days, sometimes more.
Just go with the flow and enjoy.

Richard.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I don't think that any of our European trips have gone to plan. We've learned that it really doesn't matter if plans go awry, as long as you have a good sense of humour and are adaptable. We've loved every trip that we have done - even if it wasn't what we originally intended to do! Sometimes the unexpected has been the most enjoyable.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
We've done ferrys and tunnels loads of times and the first time is a bit worrying but it'll be fine and we're here for you.
One time in Rouen we started to go down towards a tunnel and had to stop because MH couldn't fit under the bridge:eek:, two French guys stopped the traffic both ways while we turned around in a VERY busy road. And I think that's the worst that's happened to us........so far.
The moral of that is people in most countries are lovely.

Reactions: DBK

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Part of the fun of your first big adventure is the catastrophic mistakes that you make! We've all been there and done it, just as long as you realise it is just that, all part of the fun.
You can scour these forums until you are blue in the face, it will help, but ultimately you are going to make mistakes.
We are off on Thursday on our annual European trip, we have been doing this since 2012, and I guarantee you, we are still going to do something pretty dumb, I just don't know what it is yet, and I hope it isn't expensive! :D

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We found The Aires a great experience. The last one we didn't like as much, but they were all very quiet and a great asset. But if you go via the Aires guide, sometimes the co ordinates are wrong. And sometimes they are a b****r to find! :) I'm a little sad our first overseas adventure is over. For all the ups and downs we really enjoyed it. :D

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have a lovely time and there is no rush and if plans change that's all the better!! No wrong route in Motorhoming unless its under a low bridge !!
Oh dear wish I hadn't written this @Madeinengland ! Hope alls well today and you contacted the insurance co. Safe travels

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Oh dear wish I hadn't written this @Madeinengland ! Hope alls well today and you contacted the insurance co. Safe travels

I just read that back Anthea... Oh dear!

I once said to a friends daughter just before she went on a skiing holiday, don't break your leg. And guess what? She did. It still haunts me to this day. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back