!998 ZIG charger unit on Auto trail Cheyenne (1 Viewer)

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
I am used to caravan electrics but am not sure about a few things re the control of 12Volts in my recently bought 1998 Autotrail Cheyenne
1 Does the 12 volt power switch on the Zig unit need to be ON to charge the leisure battery when mobile.
2 In fact does the alternator charge the leisure battery when mobile, I assume there is somesort of split charge relay as on caravans?
3 When the engine is running on a quick check the 12 volt supply does not seem to be live in the rear of the van( ie no lights avaialble)....is this normal?
enough for now

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The rear 12v will be cut off when driving/engine running - this is normal and applies to relevent lighting/safety regs.

It will make no difference what the switch is on, when the engine is charging the battery. Only needs to be on leisure when you are inhabiting the van - otherwise the switch will be shut down with the rear electrics anyway when moving.

To test you are receiving charge, hook up or run the engine and put a voltage meter across the battery, it should read around 14.5v or thereabouts and drop when you turn it off or unhook.

OP
OP
barrywi

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Thanks for the swift reply, the leisure battery is being charged ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back