Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well we finally made it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But willit be worth it? At the moment feeling a little depressed and disillusioned. The last tour of Europe in Sept/Oct 2012 consisted of 3 weeks of non stop rain. This years 8 week tour is carrying on where we left off; it has rained non stop for this our first week, add to that I managed to bump the Beast on a low level granite boulder whilst trying to turn around to avoid a low bridge. Things could have been worse the front tow hitch took the full impact so apart from a cracked front spoiler and a bent tow hitch there is no real damage.

I am sure things will look better when the sun shines. As the songs says, "The suns coming out tomorrow"

We have been in Germany for the last week and although it could not be described as tourist friendly we have found the people most helpful especially as we have only about a dozen words of German. In desperation trying to find a stellplatz near Koln we have found a muddy campsite, overlooking a river, offering inclusive wifi, water on emplacement and electicity for 15 euro pn, only down side its on the flight path to Koln airport but at 10.oo pm the planes stop flying ( Belay that - no they don't! Just got buzzed by a jumbo jet) so will not be a problem tonight. If weather improves we shall stay a couple of nights if not we shall set off in the direction of Bonn.

Will try and set up a blog if I can manage some encouraging pics but other wise will keep updating thread.

Happy hols to all funsters

Norman and Sue

Last edited:

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Norman

Sorry to hear but the weather is bad in the western part of Europe, even down to Spain and north Italy. Even floods in the north of Italy :Eeek:

The eastern part of Europe is nice and warm

Here is a link to a site were you can see the weather forecast for Europe, the outlook is for four days, but you can go down to the forecast of a city and see the 14 days weather forecast.

Stellplätze in Germany can be easily found on this site, keep on clicking on the icons and you will down drill each time

Hope this can be of help
Regards to Sue

Paul and Ineke

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
The man said, "Cheer up, things could get worse!" So I cheered up and sure enough things did get worse! Well at least the same; it is still raining but we have managed to have 2 days of glorious sunshine, 28 degrees.

At present we are just about to leave Koblenz and head for Oberwesel further down the Rhine. Have had some good and bad experiences.

The bad - managed to bump the mh into a low granite boulder, the good news the tow hitch took the full impact and the only damage a chipped front fender that can easily be repaired.

The bad news I have blown to lamps; one indicator and one rear brake light. Managed the indicator light easily from legally required bulb kit, the brake light was a little more difficult as I had a loose earth wire which a kind Dutch lorry driver crimped for me and also explained how the pins on the bayonet bulb are not the same length one is longer then the other which explained why I was having difficulty fitting my bulb - a note for those who like me are technically challenged.

I must admit Germany was not my first choice for a holiday but have met some wonderful German people not least a really friendly German couple who were keen to practice their English, learned at school 35 years ago, and patiently tolerated my attempts at baby German. Their parting gift to us was a most valuable "Bord Atlas" with all the German Stell Platz in it, and an invitation to call in and see them on our way home.

Yesterday was a dry day - sun an option but not for long - we visited Koblenz and returning to mh intended to download pics on to Facebook but managed to delete all holiday pics so far; result happy memories and no pics to bore you all with.

If you are interested in our 8 week adventure I will post again when I have internet connection.

Happy motorhoming

Norman and Sue

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Look forward to reading your next instalment Norman.

Love Germany and found the people mostly very friendly :thumb:

Hope the weather cheers up.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
soth of france

hi Norman, its been no better in souther France been here a week now and while driving from Macon south on Saturday was treated to the worste wet driving conditions i have experienced in a long time. sheet rain, strong gusting winds, spray so bad you could hardly see 20 meters.

the weather has settled for the last 4 days now near Narbonne but wind is very high and gusty.

was going to go west to Carcassonne but the forecast says go EAST young man... so i think we will be back tracking to Nimes / Provence on Friday.

new arrivals have been telling us of hail and snow yes snow in Spain in the last week.
but the weather aint great anywhere in central europ at the moment.

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Look forward to following your travels and hope the sun comes out and stays out soon.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
wet, wet? You have just retired from one of the wettest places in Europe, at least its a little warmer there enjoy the food and the delightful scenery, helpful people etc. then you can tell us all about it in August.:thumb:

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Norman and Sue

Sure hope the weather will improve soon.

We will try to keep on watching this thread but we are leaving tomorrow for Scandinavia and will not find many free wifi-points overthere.

Dont know yet when we will return

Have fun and SUN

Paul and Ineke

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I must admit the weather has continued to be lousy!!!!!!!!!!!! Temperatures down to 4 degrees one day and the day we visited Rudesheim the rain was so bad and temperature so low, i was dressed in vest, long sleeved shirt, jumper, winter coat, cagoule and a wooly hat and still struggled to get warm. Returned mh bumped on Wabasco heater and managed to warm up.

Today the weather is brighter and we are stuck with our "Beast" as it is in N+B for the repair we had planned. I am pleased to say with typical German efficiency "Beast" was wheeled in at 7.30 am and within five minutes two guys were at work on her. They found major problems with water ingress which we had not expected but all will be fixed within the agreed quote; so our brilliant mh will now be super brilliant.

We found a brilliant stelle platz at Bad Marian Burg a place where the Brits never seem to go. It is a brilliant site with a swimming pool attached complete with Sauna, massage and steam room! Not being keen on swimming or sweating I did not go with Sue who returned with a huge grin on her face from her sauna and swim. On entering the sauna complete with swimming cossie she was told "we don't wear those in here so at 68 she enjoyed her first nude sauna and sunbathe, and gained a tan with no white bits.

Having enjoyed it so much we returned with the philosophy if it continued to rain Sue could at least go swimming and sauna again, which she did; but discovered an urgent need to find a doctor and the lady in the cafe, as she was finishing her shift, drove Sue to the doctor in the next village and then to the pharmacy for her tablets. (We intend sending her a present when we get home to Scotland)
Can't recommend Bad Marianberg highly enough. If you fancy a visit there are plenty of safe cycle trails and walks and a free wildlife Park and really friendly people.

Well its time to leave the friendly factory at Polch, who kindly provided all the coffee we could drink, and free internet use and go and look at some luxury mhs, don't think we will be buying though.

Watch this space for the next "thrilling installment of our 8 week tour in Europe"

Norman & Sue

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi, good to hear your motorhome has been fixed, and the site seems really good, hope the weather keeps improving, safe travels. :thumb:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
It is now Saturday and believe it or not ********************* it is still raining, but not all the time, we have managed one day of glorious sunshine as we drove to Luxembourg and found a brilliant stelle platz at Heiderschied - Fussekaal for 10 euros your own water, electric, and if you only had the leads cable TV.
A round trip to the city which is 46K away is only 4 euros return by bus and train. If you like cycle rides and walking there is an inexhaustible supply around. Also diesel is 1.18 euros which is worth a tank fill up.

From Luxembourg we traveled south still looking for the sun but only finding it for one evening on a lovely free aire just above Epinal and by the canal; an evening cycle ride along the tow path and back the other side was a real joy, but by morning the rain had returned and stayed with us as we set off on the long drive to Annecy by way of Geneve. It was a lovely drive and would have been beautiful if you could have seen the mountains and the valleys, but it was a real test for our old "Beast" who performed beautifully up and down all the hills and hairpin bends.
A word of warning to the uninitiated - don't do long drives = we drove too long arrived to late to find a place on the aire and had to wild camp outside a sports hall. No problem to us but maybe not everyone's taste. If you want a space on an aire be there by 3.oopm.
A quiet day in cloudy Annecy is a must, we are too tired and need a rest so we shall explore the beautiful old city.

Had a look on the Europe weather map for next week and it seems to be clearing from the south west so perhaps now I can stop moaning about the weather, take some pics and spread a little sunshine.

Happy motoring Funsters'

Norman and Sue

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi Norman and Sue,

Thanks for your updates, after living in Germany for 20 years, your posts bring back nice memories of the place and time I spent there:thumb:

I know the weathers not the best, but your still clocking up some quality time in the Beast and more importantly, filling your lives with unforgettable memories:thumb:

Enjoy and hope the sun breaks through for you soon too:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
No such thing as bad weather norman only bad clothing I was always told, what a load of tosh, hee hee. Anyway the sun is shining in Devon warming up your parking spot for august. I hope you are both well and enjoying the trip irrespective of the weather. I trust we will not lose you to the charms of France like so many other funsters.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
if its any consolation its 28 and sunny here in Southern Portugal:winky:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well the sun did finally break through whilst we were still in Annecy and we enjoyed a couple of nights on an unofficial aire right by the lake and opposite Macdonalds.
The aire is just a car park with 10 spaces that are long enough to take a motorhome. We arrived along with a Kiwi couple and parked in the allocated space right next to a large Concorde owned by a French man who came out of his mh ranting I was too close. As his door was on the other side there was no real problem so I politely ignored his demands to move and occupy two spaces instead of one. We stayed the next day, when he had left and were surrounded by cars until late afternoon when our friend returned, parking 6 places down from us, but as spaces became available he moved closer until finally he moved back into the space he occupied previously - and just as close as before - I didn't say a word.
The beginning of our sunny tour of Europe has begun, if only 3 weeks late.... but it has started and continues.

Leaving Annecy we headed for Sisteron a thrilling drive through the Alps but although arriving early the aire de camping was full but we found a wild spot that was on hard standing and perfectly level so spent a good night before leaving, still in glorious sunshine for Castellane - this is a must, don't miss this beautiful Medieval town situated below Le Roc on which is situated the temple of the roc, a good stiff climb but I managed it well. The aire de camping is set below the Roc and is 6 Euros for the night including all the water you can want as well as the usual waste facilities - sorry luxury lovers no electric!

Met another couple of Kiwis touring Europe as well as a couple who live on a houseboat on the Canal de midi and have asked us to call in as we return home.

Now we are sunning ourselves on the Riviera in temps of 30 degrees at a campsite we have visited for old times sake; we brought our boys here every year for about 12 years and have not been back since 1998 - the staff were so amazed anyone would come back with such a story we got a discount for our two night stay, which includes the use of 5 swimming pools, a sauna, Jacuzzi and fitness room.

Tomorrow we continue our tour along the Riviera before swinging north and slowly making our way back home..........

"You've got to admit its getting better, a little better all the time" (The Beatles)

Norman and Sue

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'm glad the weather has finally turned in your favour enjoy it whilst you can it will be cold and wet back in Scotland, hee hee. But don't worry too much ads it will be hot when you come South again in August.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Time passes quickly and the sun is still shining; we have left Frejus and headed along the Riviera and found an expensive and scuffy aire at Cavallaire with a situation to die for. The site is in tiered and you look across each layer over the road and to the sea. It is 16 euro a night with free electric, free wifi (when it works) and free water. Getting over our initial reservations about the site it is well placed if you want an unlimited time on the beach, as there are no time restrictions on this site. Campsites will cost a lot more along here and not be as close to the sea and shops as this. So we stayed a couple of nights and three days before heading off down the road to find a beautiful wild spot outside Toulon overlooking the plain out to the Mediterranean.

A trip to the Camargue was next on the list and a stay at Saline Giraud avoid this aire if you don't like midges, the town has little or nothing to offer but it is a good overnight stop with usual facilities, but if you want water you will have to find out where they sell the Jetons. A trip around the Carmargue is a joy in a motorhome as you can see above the hedges and reed beds and see the surrounding scenery complete with flamingoes, horses and bulls. The aire at Ste Maries sur La Mer is a holiday place with a large aire with all facilities and is free until 24th June thereafter 10 euros for 7 meter mhs and 20 euros for over 7 metre mhs.
Now up to Arles, a beautiful town and well worth a visit the aire is reduced to 5 slots now but we all overflowed into the coach park that has more spaces than it needs and no one seems to mind. But beware this site is beneath a couple of lions guarding a destroyed 19th century bridge, It is here I was propositioned by a French Gay man who asked in his broken English if "I was here for men?" I replied "No" most emphatically but then learned this raised platform area is the meeting place for the gay brigade - so guys don't go up there alone.

Thanks to Macdonalds we are sat outside catching up on our internet connections and enjoying a hot but sunless day. We are heading to Baucaire to try and meet up with our new friends with the boat (see earlier thread) if not we will probably head south for Carcausin and then on to Narbonne, but whatever - no plans just the freedom to do whatever seems best at the time - that's what motorhoming is all about.

Will add more later

Still enjoying our trip

Norman and (Sue)

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well we made it to Beaucaire and enjoyed meeting new friends and making even newer ones among the friendly Brit boating community anchored on the canal at Beaucaire. The aire is very small at Beaucaire but it is by the canal, it is free, with facilities but again no indication where the Jeton may be bought. If the aire is full carry on further up the road and there is a big space right by the canal where after a friendly word with a local Brit boat owner you will be able to have a free water fill up.

The market at Beaucare is worth a visit on Sunday with brilliant fresh fruit and vegetables and a great general market for buying everything else. Three days here and it was time to move on, this time to Aigue Mortes a beautiful walled town well worth a visit. There are three aires but avoid the one on the right of the town its expensive at 16 euros with no facilities, there are other ones nearer the wall of the town.

What have we learned recently? "Don't assume leafy trees are just that" They conceal damaging thick boughs ready to score your paint work and dent your aluminum body armour - I know having just done it in a supermarket car park. I feel sick and all I wanted to do was pack up and come home - but time passes and emotions settle down and now we have a super over night stop at a massive shopping complex before heading on to Narbonne hopefully for some swimming and sunbathing.

Keep on trucking is the motto = let nothing deter you for with every new challenge comes a new opportunity

Norman and Sue

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Well we are heading north and the weather is still holding though sometimes only just. We have met some more interesting people on our journey who have contributed to our steady accumulation of experience. A couple we met had previously owned an Arto 69G and were able to show us we no longer need to buy light benders as our motorhome is fitted with switches that move the lights automatically. These people also affered us some much needed decals for our "Beast" provided they can find them in their attic when they get home.
Another fellow motorhomer suggested we reduce the air in our airride suspension and now the ride is a lot softer.

Aires continue to amaze us especially in the quieter places like Chateau Larcher near Poitiers where only three Brits were on site. A nice quiet site but there are no shops in the village so arrive well stocked. Electric and water included in the 3 euro charge. We had to cut this visit short as a clash of wing mirrors meant having to find a replacement quickly. Manage to replace mirror for 16 euros so bought a pair.

Another lovely site is Segres but don't attempt this aire with anything longer than 7 metres and with a weight not exceeding 4 tons as entry and exit is up and down an 18% hill with a stop sign on the way out. But if you like fishing this site is for you as the river backs on to the aire. You could canoe quite safely too with a ramp into the water. There are facilities but no water or electric but no charge either.

Heading north to St Cyr to see Peter and his snakes and beans, home perhaps early next week.

Thanks for those who have followed our thread.

Norman and Sue

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Finally home - but not quite as we had planned. Having left Peter at St Cyr we managed a little stop at an aire where Sue cooked tea - just before the gas ran out. Now do we buy a French bottle and regulator? (Not sure a French propane bottle and UK one is compatible butane ones certainly aren't) For the little time we had left in France and the cost we decided to head for home and dashed for Calais changed our tickets and caught an early afternoon ferry home.

No problems! From Calais to Portsmouth along the coast took us to the pretty town of Rye. O how we miss France with their welcome to motorhomes, every car park had a height barrier and/or a sign saying no motorhomes, however we found a friendly hotel car park that would let you stay for 24 hours for £5 and supply water should you need it.
After a pleasant ride along the coast we stumbled across JC Newell one of our Funster sponsors, what a great reception from "Steptoe & Son" those of you who know them will know exactly what I mean. A new gas bottle bought a new regulator and a telescopic tyre bar now means if I get a flat I can take the wheel nuts off (You guessed right - six week in France and no means of removing a tyre should I have needed it) wouldn't recommend it but it didn't present any problems.
Now try and find a place to overnight - gave up and have had to endure a "prison site" gate locked at 11pm until 7.oo am, one way systems, park in centre of site, no washing lines, (Sue has nowhere to aire her knickers) - It is a pretty site and the staff are friendly but oh how quickly you miss the freedom and close companionship of the aire de camping.

This is the last of the threads - thanks to those who have encouraged me with their thanks and comments and as far as you are able adopt the motto "Hope for the best and plan for the worst" Both rarely happen.

Norman and Sue

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Glad you're home safe and sound. We have loved following your travels and hope we can find the same experiences and fun that you must've had, when we go away in August. :thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
At least you have had some FUN
Enjoyed your posts Elaine loves to read where people have been good and bad
It gives us ideas for our trips

I bet your planning the next trip already
Go on give us a clue ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Finally home - but not quite as we had planned.

Norman and Sue

It's certainly been one of those years, hasn't it.

The owners of the two German sites we visited that had been under a good metre of water definitely thought that. The guy in Slovenia "this is the first day it's stopped raining for 5 weeks".

"Is it worth it" crept into my mind more then once.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Norman and Sue

Glad to read you have returned home safely. We arrived home as well today
Was nice reading your posts

Paul and Ineke

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Norman and Sue refreshing to read your posts. UK certainly full of height barriers comment noted.
Be well and safe future journeys.

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Thanks very much for letting us into your holiday. Really enjoyed reading all about it - the good and the bad.

Look forward to hearing all about your next journey.

Regards

Brian and Chris

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Thanks for your interesting and inspiring journal of your trip.I am currently sitting in hospital having undergone shoulder surgery in Angouleme.
My van is sitting at home with two new leisure batteries ready to go in,a new Controle Technique (MOT) for two years.Today I go into rehab for a while and then maybe a wait of 3 months before I can get away.
Where to go?Thats the question?Germany with all those branches waiting to jump out on me!Portugal my well trodden favourite,Spain,not so keen at the moment but love Salamanca,and Granada.
This is what is so wonderful about our hobby.
Thanks again,enjoyed the read.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back